Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Slufter/Maasvlakte - Netherlands
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Ventum Kiteboarding

Re: Non corroding hook knife?

Postby Ventum » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:05 pm

Actually I did quite some comparisson before choosing the ceramic knifes with singe blade but 2 side opening.

My opinion is that the problematic lines that you want to cut are usually the ones under tension anyway, both knive work there...the ceramic is way sharper!
If things happen under water is actually a benefit to have a blade opening on 2 sides since you can simply mow up and down.

The opening on the ceramic ones is large enough to also cut 5mm depowerlines etc....those you cant cut with the V shaped ones. Quite handy when the bar is stuck on your hook and you cant reach the flying lines.

Its correct then when a line is not under tension and slowely feed to the knife it will not cut untill you make a cutting movement or put the line under tension but I also found issues with the V shape when feeded slowely under an angle. Anyway..... having a knife is a key safety feature in our sport.
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post:
purdyd (Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 am

I checked my Mystic kite knife. The aluminium frame was corroded but the stainless steel blades were fine.

I ordered a replacement Mystic knife has a resin frame and stainless blades so there's nothing that is likely to corrode quickly. I'd still check it and replace it from time to time.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:57 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 am
I checked my Mystic kite knife. The aluminium frame was corroded but the stainless steel blades were fine.

I ordered a replacement Mystic knife has a resin frame and stainless blades so there's nothing that is likely to corrode quickly. I'd still check it and replace it from time to time.
Yes that is my experience the blades last longer than the body. I’ve replaced a lot of knives over the years hence my question.

I got a gerber hook knife and it is NOT the best hook knife. It is the slowest to cut.

I’ve played more with the double ceramic blade cutters and there is a design flaw that the opposite side from the cutter has a seam and depending on assembly and tolerance the line can force it open.

A design where both cutters engaged the rope like the mystic etal would be better.

I can’t find a mystic resin body knife. Do you have a link?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:01 am

I bought mine from the The Kite Loft in Australia. The picture shows the old one but the new one turned up. https://thekiteloft.com.au/products/mystic-safety-knife

This search shows a heap https://www.google.com/search?q=mystic+ ... fety+knife

All the ones in the search show the resin shell with some stainless screws. Mine has no screws at all. Don't know if that's better or not.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:40 am

OzBungy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:01 am
I bought mine from the The Kite Loft in Australia. The picture shows the old one but the new one turned up. https://thekiteloft.com.au/products/mystic-safety-knife

This search shows a heap https://www.google.com/search?q=mystic+ ... fety+knife

All the ones in the search show the resin shell with some stainless screws. Mine has no screws at all. Don't know if that's better or not.
Great there is no where in the description for that knife that says what the handle is made of. I just ordered mystic knives and they showed in aluminum.

I’ m guessing version 2 with the squared off design is resin,

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:56 pm

Reviving an older thread
Anyone know of a simple to apply sealant to keep a metal knife body or blade from rusting as quickly but still cut well?

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:48 am

knotwindy wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:56 pm
Reviving an older thread
Anyone know of a simple to apply sealant to keep a metal knife body or blade from rusting as quickly but still cut well?
water dispersant formula 40. WD40. Or just rinse it after use. Comes with extra blades
Last edited by beebad on Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:40 pm

beebad wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:48 am
knotwindy wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:56 pm
Reviving an older thread
water dispersant formula 40. WD40. Or just rinse it after use. Co’es with extra blades
Can rub a bit of marine grade grease on blade- will stay forever. They are designed to stay in salty water and prevent rust.
On other hand I have Mystic with stainless steel blades since 2015, every year I take it out and cut a piece of rope to make sure it works. So far still working fine without any maintenance, just rinse harness every time after session.

Return to “Kitesurfing”