Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Fonyód (Hungary), Aendorphin Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lefkada Milos Beach
Style: Big Air, Kiteloop
Gear: Board: RRD Style Biax v2
Kites: RRD Obsession 13.5m, 10.5m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Kiteline, RRD

Re: Dice vs Dice SLS

Postby aendorphin » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:03 am

I have a friend who was using 10m Dice 2019 for a long time and he used my Dice 11m 2021 and another friend's Dice 9m 2021 and loved all of them. So he ordered Dice SLS 9m and Dice SLS 11m as it seemed like that is the future (because of the marketing BS). Now he is selling them after 4-5 sessions as he is missing the "Dice feeling" from it. The loops are "boring", jumping is nothing special with it. The wind range definitely has grown mostly on the high end. It feels like it is a great kite for free-riders, but this is not the kite he is looking for.

I have seen on Instagram that Lasse Walker is actually using the regular Dice on 8m size. In comments, he says that the "yank" on the kite loops is better on the regular Dice. But they (Lasse, Lewis, Aaron) never respond to extra questions regarding the selection in other sizes and their overall impression. But most often I see images of the Dice, not the Dice SLS on their posts.

I still want to try the SLS and still can think of that it is the kite I'm looking for but I'm afraid that this is just a more user-friendly version of the Dice and they are targeting intermediate riders who can afford the extra 200-300 EUR of the SLS version. They are purchasing the "feeling of riding the Dice like the PROs".

One thing I noticed was very weird. Duotone created a video about their team riders on the Lord of Teams competition. Their riders used Dice SLS. Almost everybody. No regular Dices. Felt like it was a marketing of the Dice SLS. Even riders who are not using the SLS version on Instagram posts.

wrogu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wrogu » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Aaron and lasse mix Dice sls and oridinary one.
I really liked the sls one due to the stiffness and how solid the frame felt. However I am a bit worried if it gets too rough when wind is really gusty. I ordered 9m myself but I have mixed feelings - the 2020 and newer dices are soooo solid anyway.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:53 pm

aendorphin wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:03 am
I have a friend who was using 10m Dice 2019 for a long time and he used my Dice 11m 2021 and another friend's Dice 9m 2021 and loved all of them. So he ordered Dice SLS 9m and Dice SLS 11m as it seemed like that is the future (because of the marketing BS). Now he is selling them after 4-5 sessions as he is missing the "Dice feeling" from it. The loops are "boring", jumping is nothing special with it. The wind range definitely has grown mostly on the high end. It feels like it is a great kite for free-riders, but this is not the kite he is looking for.

I have seen on Instagram that Lasse Walker is actually using the regular Dice on 8m size. In comments, he says that the "yank" on the kite loops is better on the regular Dice. But they (Lasse, Lewis, Aaron) never respond to extra questions regarding the selection in other sizes and their overall impression. But most often I see images of the Dice, not the Dice SLS on their posts.

I still want to try the SLS and still can think of that it is the kite I'm looking for but I'm afraid that this is just a more user-friendly version of the Dice and they are targeting intermediate riders who can afford the extra 200-300 EUR of the SLS version. They are purchasing the "feeling of riding the Dice like the PROs".

One thing I noticed was very weird. Duotone created a video about their team riders on the Lord of Teams competition. Their riders used Dice SLS. Almost everybody. No regular Dices. Felt like it was a marketing of the Dice SLS. Even riders who are not using the SLS version on Instagram posts.
I think the sls is quite the opposite. That is at least me experience with the evo sls, it is quicker more reactive kite. And the more wind you get the more it reacts.

That is likely why it was used at the lord of the tram.

The exact quote from lasse walker was he preferred the 8m Dacron version in 40-60 knots because the classic construction is slower.

1D0E9AC2-3F2B-47DC-A703-4DF6F14B5568.png

Radja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 69
Local Beach: Dahab
Style: FS, BA
Gear: Dice 2022 9, 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby Radja » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:15 pm

I already using Dice 2022 9 and 12 about 2 months in Dahab, Egypt. Wind is not so strong this winter but I had 10+ sessions with 12m and 3-4 sessions with 9.
I can’t compare with SLS because I have only normal Dices. But I choose not SLS because my previous ultra light kite (not duotone) was destroyed in three sessions in a row had big damages after hitting to the water. So I preferred more solid material to be sure it will not broken during massive crashes which I often have )
My setup favorites are kite loop position on 12 with M size click bar and medium settings on 9 with click bar S size.
For me comfortable wind range with 12 is 15-25 knots. Easy to relaunch in light wind and good control when overpowered.
I trust Dice is the best option for kiters who want to do everything in one session - hooked oldschool, bigair and wake style. May be in each discipline there are better kites but overall combo is unbeatable.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:01 am

Well, if anything, SLS Pentatex material should be stronger than normal dacron?

Radja
Rare Poster

Postby Radja » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 pm

omg wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:01 am
As marketing promise yes but I trust in more solid fabric ) May be I’m wrong let’s see how durable are SLS after couple hundreds hours on the water.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:41 am

Radja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 pm
omg wrote:
As marketing promise yes but I trust in more solid fabric ) May be I’m wrong let’s see how durable are SLS after couple hundreds hours on the water.
I guess it is also important to note that pentatx is used on tubes. From my experience, it is usually canopy that shows wear and tear. Stiffness of the leading edge might have some impact on that, but it can actually either be positive or negative, hard to tell.

Radja
Rare Poster

Postby Radja » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:04 pm

jedi1 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:41 am
Radja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:32 pm
omg wrote:
I guess it is also important to note that pentatx is used on tubes. From my experience, it is usually canopy that shows wear and tear. Stiffness of the leading edge might have some impact on that, but it can actually either be positive or negative, hard to tell.
Exactly! Until we have enough statistical datas from independent riders )

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:49 am

Dietsdontworkuk wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:24 pm
I had a couple of hours on the dice at Hayling last week in around 27-30kn with a decent swell running. I’ve been on enduros since they came out and I love them, direct, not too tame but not too aggressive but very connected. This years enduro has a weird cough (if that makes sense) - after a kite loop as the kite comes through the braking loop there’s a sudden luff and loss of power. The 7 does it a bit too.
Anyway I’ve been looking for a bit more boost and hangtine than the enduro but a kite that is still ok to surf here and there but also direct and with a proper kite loop. The dice really was good - nearly all of the saggy feeling from the earlier models has now gone, although it still felt very slightly vague compared to the enduro. Perhaps just more forgiving as opposed to vague. This to me is just the feeling of many high split Y kites. However the build up of power into a jump is sensational and the hang time surprised me. It was very quick and at around 30kn with no depower felt nowhere near its top end. I did get a very occasional bit of flapping in the odd kite loop but it was my first go so perhaps with full sheeting that would be eliminated. I’ve yet to find a more stable canopy than the enduro, you couldn’t get it to flap if you tried. The dice felt like it would have decent drift too for a bit of wave slashing and sat just right in the window. Not too deep like a switchblade or pivot but just right. I may well take a punt on a 8m and live with for a bit before contemplating a full brand change. But it was a fairly sensational session, albeit in sensational conditions that would probably have been amazing on any half decent kite!!
Interesting to read your comments as I am a huge Enduro fan and have 6,8,10,12 v2s. I like doing loops. I haven't had a chance to try the V3, people I've spoken to mention a "cough" on V1 but not V2 or V3 strangely.

I tried a 2020 Dice and was surprised at how much higher it boosted than the enduro but the loop was pretty timid with mot much yank. I'm keen to try the SLS dice but can't get my hands on a demo either. Let me know which kite you end up going for and why. Cheers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”