Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twin Tip sizing guide

Forum for kitesurfers
Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Twin Tip sizing guide

Postby Ianw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Kite brands publish a guide of wind speeds for different kite sizes across their range of kite disciplines. Why don’t they all publish a sizing guide of TT board size to body weight across their TT range? Correct me if I’m wrong but Duotone are and Shinn were the only brands publishing this information on their web sites. Shinn’s information in the past was: - board size for a range of body weights, either straps or boots across their male & female TT board range. Unfortunately, Shinn have missed it off this year’s web site!!! IMO the guide would be helpful for beginners entering the sport, shops, distributors and for all the brands themselves in order to consolidate their product lines.
These users thanked the author Ianw for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twin Tip sizing guide

Postby Tony in FL » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:00 pm

I am guessing there is simply too much variability for most manufacturers bother making a sizing guide for boards, especially trying to roll out a sizing guide for every model board in their lineup. There are a lot of factors to consider such as experience, wind speed, kite size, boots vs straps, and of course personal preference. There may be some generalized sizing guides on the Internet. But you may want to also talk to an instructor or shop for recommendations, talk to riders in your area, and perhaps demo different boards.

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Re: Twin Tip sizing guide

Postby Ianw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm

Tony in FL wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:00 pm
I am guessing there is simply too much variability for most manufacturers bother making a sizing guide for boards, especially trying to roll out a sizing guide for every model board in their lineup. There are a lot of factors to consider such as experience, wind speed, kite size, boots vs straps, and of course personal preference. There may be some generalized sizing guides on the Internet. But you may want to also talk to an instructor or shop for recommendations, talk to riders in your area, and perhaps demo different boards.
Hi Tony, yes I agree there will be variability but that's why I would call it a "guide". Shinn's previous sizing guide covered all models in the line up so I don't see why other brands could not do the same. I am an experienced kiter. But for beginners once they have decided on the model a fundamental question would be what size of board do I need for my weight. I would expect the information to come from the brands web site not a third hand opinion. I remember buying my first board which in retrospect was too small for my weight.

Return to “Kitesurfing”