Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Steering Line Knots

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Steering Line Knots

Postby beebad » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:21 am

I was watching this video with Blake Olsen of Mack Kites.

Choosing the right knot for wind conditions was important but I want to know why.

He says the following: If the wind is light go closer to the kite ( the knot closest to the kite).
If the wind is strong, Go long, the knot furthest from the kite.

Most of us, or at least I have only used the middle setting.

At 1:25 he starts his spheel on steering knots

So, any ideas!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Steering Line Knots

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:31 am

When the wind is light you want the kite to fly freely to generate apparent wind, so de-powering the kite a little helps.

I don't bother with all of this anymore, in part because Naish Pivots don't have those choices anymore, just trim at the bar instead.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
beebad (Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

happytrees
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:50 am

Hello :D
Thought this vid good. Go to 3.30
These users thanked the author happytrees for the post (total 2):
beebad (Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:32 am) • kitelife (Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:01 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:00 am

When I was frequently using lei kites, I always rigged to the middle knot, unless it was cranking wind (for that size kite).

Then I would rig the lower knot.

In the past 10 years or so, I never ever, ever rigged the back lines to the upper most knot…. Got to let the kite move to get power, and if you are underpowered, it’s easy to think that the kite is pulling harder, when what is really happening is that you are stalling the kite.

The tendency with use is for the center lines to get longer and the steering lines to shrink, so, check your lines frequently, and while it might sound counterintuitive to many, very often you can get more power by pulling the trim strap in a bit.

It all depends on how well your bar is tuned and on how heavy-handed you are when using it. If you are underpowered, it is important to generate kite speed if you want to get the most possible power.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
beebad (Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 am)

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:35 am

happytrees wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:50 am
Hello :D
Thought this vid good. Go to 3.30
Thanks for the share. It was almost opposite what blake said…..
I always have trimmed my kite at the bar. I have always used the cabrinha recoil….just got the new 2020….

Anyway, nice refresher for downlooping in light winds.

Thanks again.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:56 am

If you develop a mind set for trimming the kite to control the backstall and the rear line slack points you will probably develop a better understanding of what is required.

This can all be done with a long trim strap but, often it is neater to do it with a combination of pigs length and strap.

Using a longer REAR pig in high winds helps to ensure that you do not run out of trim in.

Using shorter REAR pig in light wind helps ensure that you have the full sheeting range of the kite sheeting,(slack to backstall), within the bar throw. However, this can upset the Newbies if they have introduced backstall into the bar throw range.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:16 pm

I havent watched the videos (i hate videos explaining simple things that can be explained in a few lines of text)

But if the wind is really light, you should use the knots where the kite is more depowered, as you will gain speed thus power in the kite, and you wont choke the kite accidentally.

When sufficient wind, just use the knots where you feel the trim is nice.

As you can always depower on the trim when wind increases.

Whereas in light wind, and especially if using longer lines which helps a lot, you should use the more depowered knots.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
vakiter (Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:50 am)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:26 pm

I guess this might depend on the kite, but for me if the wind is so light that I backstall my kites on the closest loop pulling the bar I wouldn't be able to ride anyway (TT).

By the way - if I got one criticism of the Enduro (at least V1) is that it doesn't fly all that well on the closest loop - in my opinion (obviously pulling the bar). So much nicer on the other two settings.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:52 pm

For me using longer rear pigs will depends on style I am adopting. However for the light awkward stuff I too follow the approach outlined by Peter.

My previous post just explained the probable reasoning behind the OP’s observation. Assuming he was referring to the rear pigs.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 pm

I always add another knot about 50mm closer to the kite so that I can oversheet when I want to. That gives me that bit more grunt when diving the kite.

I compensate for any stalling behaviour by pulling the trimmer, or pushing out the bar, and actively flying the kite. If the kite is flying fast then it can handle being oversheeted momentarily, or when riding along at speed.

I also cheat by modifying the trimmer so that I have more than twice as much trim travel a normal kite bar. It's a massive advantage over normal bars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”