Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why you should be ready to release? That's why...

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Why you should be ready to release? That's why...

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:47 pm

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why you should be ready to release? That's why...

Postby Herman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:33 am

I am confident that I know what Toby means but ; if you went up to the rider just before the kite was released for launch and asked him if he was ready to operate the QR if needed, I wonder what would have been his answer?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 pm

Isn't the lesson here that this person probably shouldn't be launching on their own yet? They brought that kite up way to fast too be someone that has any experience handling a kite. It makes me nervous launching people that I don't know, and haven't really assessed their skill level yet.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:39 pm

bkkite wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:01 pm
Isn't the lesson here that this person probably shouldn't be launching on their own yet? They brought that kite up way to fast too be someone that has any experience handling a kite. It makes me nervous launching people that I don't know, and haven't really assessed their skill level yet.
you dont know if they brought it up too fast or if it was some kind of equipment failure. it looks more like equipment failure of some sort to me as you'll notice the kite loops and yanks him even after he has hit the sand once and has no inputs on the bar. My guess is that he didn't even know there was a problem until he hit for the first time, then didn't expect it to loop.

I think on average it takes about 8 seconds to use the QR for most kiteboarders. Just how it is. On the internet it's always easy to use the QR after 1 second but in real life . . . 8 seconds.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 pm

this video explains what to do, I've been using this method for last 5 years since I broke my ribs on launch, never failed to work for me!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:51 pm

Without getting into the debate of technique and when to hook in or whether you should have a hand on the QR. My take on being ready to release:

For me the critical criteria is do you have control. If you don’t release. Being ready to release is, imho, about generating the mindset to make the decision quickly rather than hand positions etc.

It looked like he had the bottom hand on the qr when the kite was let go but for some reason it started climbing back into the power zone and so he put the bottom hand back on the bar to try to control the kite. Then up he went. Imho if he had the bottom hand immediately available to crank down he may have stopped the kite going up, or found out he did not have control slightly quicker giving a little more time to eject.

Once he had landed it should have been obvious there could be control issues. It seemed to me he was indecisive and waited to see what was going to happen. If he had a mindset which was ready to release he had time to eject before the snatch.

Of course the above could be bollox, either way I hope he was ok. Also he may have been able to make the decision that he was not in control before trying to pull down on the bottom hand ie release immediately the kite moved back but I am not sure that is realistic for many. Edits 8 second assessment is probably a good reflection of average reality.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:58 pm

I say: be ready to handle the situation, especially in gusts/lulls.
Having hand on release always is not practical and he should see the explosive pull coming. It’s practice that counts, not a certification card in the wallet

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:01 pm

sarc wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 pm
https://youtu.be/69-_AY841fE

I'm not good at embedding links but this video explains what to do, I've been using this method for last 5 years since I broke my ribs on launch, never failed to work for me!
You can’t compare amount of tension your arm can handle and the pull your body generates. This method won’t work in gusty/lully winds
Self-launch and self-landing are important skills but I consider it unsafe to launch unhooked. Also unsafe for everyone else on the beach. You don’t want to get the beach closed for kiters because people release their stuff through beachgoers.

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:16 pm

First take off: why…. Can not see the reason for take of…
Maybe a little fast, maybe too deep in the window, but nothing specially.

Second yank: after first under flying the kite … it frontstalls, and catches line tension right in the powezone
HERE HE SHOULD HAVE USED QR. I think he actually tried, but it did not work… nut sure….

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:20 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:01 pm

You can’t compare amount of tension your arm can handle and the pull your body generates. This method won’t work in gusty/lully winds
Self-launch and self-landing are important skills but I consider it unsafe to launch unhooked. Also unsafe for everyone else on the beach. You don’t want to get the beach closed for kiters because people release their stuff through beachgoers.
Agree. Unhooked launches were taught back in 2005 when many control bars didn't even have a qr or if it had one it failed under load. It's still being taught today because some people never change. Today the qr always works so trust it and launch hooked in. Many harnesses don't even have a spreader hook now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”