Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Reo V6 normal or problem?

Postby Daversj » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:12 am

Today i received a new Reo 9m. I am replacing my beloved V4 9m with the V6 version. I am not new to Reo’s and have been using ozone since 2011. My first impression on launch was there was something wrong with the kite. It seemed to steer to the right more easily than left. The bar pressure required was considerably more than i was used to and the kite seem less responsive. So i landed the kite and checked my connections and bridals and all was correct, both sides were rigged the same…
I went In the water despite the weird handling. Wind was 20-25 with 4-5’ wind swell. The kite seem really sluggish to turn and bar pressure felt like a Switchblade, not good. I kept riding thinking maybe it needed to break in and bridals needed to stretch?
After about thirty minutes of muscling the kite around I decided to come back in and change the bridal setting. I moved to the longest knot of the bridal to the “onshore” setting. I also switched the steering lines from the middle attachment point to the tip setting for faster steering. This decreased the bar pressure significantly and steering improved slightly. It still didn’t handle like my V4 however. It still takes considerably more steering input than the older version and it still seems to steer more easily to the right than left. The kite doesn't race to the right if you let go of the bar…..what you would expect if it was really screwed up or uneven.

So i went back out, wind was building. After kiting for another 30 min the wind was about 25-30. I wasn’t expecting handling to improve when overpowered…bar pressure was tolerable but steering input was still way heavier than the old kite. Next step is to rig them both and ride back to back…

Anyone have any bad experiences with the new Reo? Not sure if i have a lemon or they fucked up the new version? My old 9m rips through the sky with little effort and this one feels like a slug.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Ozone Reo V6 normal or problem?

Postby leeuwen » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:03 am

Something is wrong for sure if one side steers easier then the other.
Check all aspects of the symmetry of the kite.
Maybe the bladder is twisted causing it to be deformed, if this is the case the kite will usually sit unevenly on a hard surface when inflated.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:37 am

Check the bridle for tangles. I've seen similar handling where one bit of bridle is looped through another bit . It should be easy to spot on a cascading bridle like the Reo though so its a bit of a long shot but it does give the same steering problems you might have seen.

Also worth checking the bridle line lengths in case of a manufacturing mistake (new kite after all). The lengths are available here (https://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/p ... -Check.pdf)

Daversj
Medium Poster

Postby Daversj » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:50 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:37 am
Check the bridle for tangles. I've seen similar handling where one bit of bridle is looped through another bit . It should be easy to spot on a cascading bridle like the Reo though so its a bit of a long shot but it does give the same steering problems you might have seen.

Also worth checking the bridle line lengths in case of a manufacturing mistake (new kite after all). The lengths are available here (https://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/p ... -Check.pdf)
Thanks for the link. That was my first thinking that the bridals were wrong. I will measure them today. Hopefully that is the problem. Unless they had the Hulk testing during development, something is wrong. I cant imagine this is what Ozone intended, its so unlike other Reos or even the Enduros i have.

Daversj
Medium Poster

Postby Daversj » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 am

So i measured the bridals but without taking them apart. So measurements are not 100% accurate. Anyway, they all seem correct. The two sides certainly match. So now i have no idea why this kite seems to fly so different.

Does anyone else have opinions or experience with the v6 Reo?

I flew my old v4 Reo 2 days ago and it’s is so much quicker even on the medium steering setting.
I have the v6 Reo on the fast setting and its much slower and requires more steering force. WTF?

Im thinking of getting rid of it and looking for a v5. So confused

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am

Something sounds off. As a double check, have a check on your bar line lengths, especially front lines.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am

Ok, bridles measure correctly.

Does it steer to one side?

In my experience, many kites need up to one or one and a half inch different rear line length (move to a different knot or make one) to fly perfectly straight.
But not more than 1½ inch should be acceptable in my experience.

First off, fly the kite up to 12, depower on the trim, and push the bar all the way out - if it pulls fast to one side, something is really wrong.
If just very slowly to one side, its ok.

Then power the trim up, and pull the bar close to the stall point - while steering so the kite stands still up at 12 o'clock.
The bar will now either be horizontal, or pulled a bit to one or the other side.
When not vertical, you can see exactly how much you need to move the rearline knot.
Land, move the knot, and test again to be sure its spot on.

As said, if less than 1½ inch just move the knot (if more, something is wrong with the kite IMO, either a twisted frontbladder, or sewn wrong).

The kite should now turn equivalent fast to either side at all trim settings.

Now you can ride the kite and get a feel for if it is better or worse than the V4.

8) Peter

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 am

You got the brand new left-hander version of the Reo. Steers easier to the right than to the left.
It´s not a bug - it´s a feature :thumb: :lol:

Joking aside: This is a real bummer! Brand new expensive stuff, not correctly quality checked before sending out to customer. Must not happen.
I´d be very pissed off if I had to correct the steering line length on a brand new kite. Send back to Ozone and claim a new speciman.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:01 pm

I like the rear lines slack point to be easily accessible on my ReoV4. How does the position of the rear line slack point within the sheeting range compare between your V6 and V4.

My ReoV4 stays usable if the fronts are too long as it is very progressive towards the backstall but it feels yuk. But set up as above it is one of my favourite kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”