Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fuel rider thinking about moving to RPMs (RPXs)

Forum for kitesurfers
Lostfish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Par
Gear: Slingshot Fuels
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fuel rider thinking about moving to RPMs (RPXs)

Postby Lostfish » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:16 pm

I've ridden Fuels for pretty much forever. I'm still riding my 2008s and still love them... but they are definitely getting tired now... I took them out for my first surf after a fairly long break (4 years maybe), and I started thinking it could well be new gear time.

Riding style wake/freestyle but I also skim and surf. Experience level, been riding since it began and worked as an instructor for several years.

I've always found my 7, 9, 11, 13 quiver suited me very well with the 7 getting me out in silly wind (50 knots plus) and the 9 and 11 being my workhorse kites. The 13 not so much, was always a bit too heavy and slow, but it had its moments.

How do the RPMs compare for wind range? Should I stick with 7, 9, 11 or is it worth thinking about 8, 10, 12? Can an 8m RPM be held down in ballistic wind or am I going to find myself needing that 6m?

Any other kites I should consider? Ozone Enduro?

Keen for any advice as I'm well out of the loop these days...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Fuel rider thinking about moving to RPMs (RPXs)

Postby edt » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 pm

You've never even tried an rpm/rpx? It has great pop as much as a Fuel. The Enduro doesn't have as much pop but is a more all around kite. The rpm/rpx has good range so you might be able to reduce your quiver size and have one kite every three or four meters instead of every other. Go demo it there are so many out there you can borrow. Personally I think the rpx is the best freestyle kite made it has as much pop as the fuel but goes upwind much better.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:07 pm

I used to have RPM's, never really liked them. Heavy & slow.
Friend of mine got an RPX earlier this year, got rid of it, said it felt like a tank going upwind. (same impression I had with RPMs)

I used to ride torches coming from a wakeboard background. Moved through all kinds of different kites after that as I put more value on versatility.
I've been stuck on Airush Unions for the past few years, love em.
stays put when you want it to, slacks off when you want it to, pulls you like a truck when you loop it, great kite.
If you want more surf, Airush session is also great. I've ridden them a few times this year as well. Still great pop, super easy kite to learn to loop on. It'll yank you, but its very fast so it's over quick, low consequences, and of course it's known for it's surf/drift.

Go demo some, keep your eyes on those 2.

ilboarder12
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: no coast montucky
Style: kook
Gear: slingshooter
Has thanked: 0

Postby ilboarder12 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:58 pm

another kite to consider would be the eleveight fs. will hopefully be able to give my .2 in next few days (in the mail currently). flown a fair bit of my '15 fuel 11m (5 line setup) this season

kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:56 pm

Grab fuel 2015 or 2016 they have bridle option too...and they work great ..Better than rpm

Return to “Kitesurfing”