Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Old Honey, Brancaster
Gear: RMP's, FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Light wind, Cabrinha Contra vs Gong unik vs other

Postby Shaun Kaufmann » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi All

In short, I am looking for a kite to use with a TT or skim on those softer days when my fx or RPM (both 12's, also have smaller RPMs) run out of juice, no pun intended. Not looking to go into the ultra-low wind and foil, even though I know this is probably the better thing to do (where I would use this, it would be very expensive to buy or bring in a foil, plus waters pretty shallow). I'm 75kg on a 138 TT.

So I've been hunting around for a light wind kite. Some of my options are the single strut Gong unik (14m) which has great value or I go used Cabrinha contra 15 or maybe 13 or other.

Checking their respective wind ranges, it seems the Cabrinha (on book 8-18, 7-15 knt for the 13 and 15 respectively) has a fair few knots advantage on the low end vs the Gong (12-18 knt). Gong clearly specifies that this is for a 75-80 kg rider on a TT whereas with Cabrinha it's not entirely clear.
I found the difference in the low ends slightly surprising as I assumed that the gong should be closer to the Cabrinha as it is a single strut, pretty lightweight, and didn't seem to have a massive LE. Then again I know little about light wind kites.
So finally to my questions;
firstly is Cabrinha's wind range including foils? and if not is their low end realistic?
Is anyone using a gong unik as a light wind kite?
also, any knowledge on light wind kites, in general, would be great!

Thanks for reading! :D

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Light wind, Cabrinha Contra vs Gong unik vs other

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:35 pm

I have been foiling mostly the last few years but I did spend more than a decade on light wind kites. I have owned several and demoed dozens. I am almost the same weight as you. I don't know about the Gong but the Contra is a good kite. I would go with the 15m. 7-15 is not possible with a 138 board but it could be achieved with a huge door type board. With a 138 it would be more like 10 to 15 IMO. Take a look at the Ocean rodeo Flite 14.5m the Aluula version in particular it is probably lighter than the Gong single strut but it retains the advantages of a 3 strut kite like the rigidity, quick turning, higher aspect ratio and the ability to load more aggressively for jumping. Stay away from big heavy 5 struts light wind kites they fall from the sky in the lulls.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Shaun Kaufmann (Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

luca
Frequent Poster

Postby luca » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:48 pm

I have bought the Duotone Juice DLAB 15m after testing the 13m vs 15m. Normally I hate kites bigger than 12 with 75 kilos.
What I can say it sits in the air in lightwind like nothing from 5 knots+.
In 9 knots I am riding with my 135x40 highwind Board with a lots of rocker with ease and I can ride it easily till 20 knots. So the Lowend will be impressive if the boards is a really lightwind suited board.
These users thanked the author luca for the post:
Shaun Kaufmann (Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm)

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:55 pm

I also just got a (non D-lab) Duotone Juice - for my weight (65kg) 13m is all I need, and with a dedicated light wind board am good to go from about 7-8 knots.Very impressed with the Juice, can't imagine it getting much better but I guess the Aluula one would be even more impressive. I like a higher aspect kite for light wind with a TT - from about 12 knots I can boost pretty high.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
luca (Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:28 pm)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:38 pm

I haven't heard of Gong before but have had a number of Contra kites over the years. They have saved many sessions when the wind was light. The published wind ranges are just estimates independent of a number of factors including skill, board size, rider weight if not designated and still more. The charts don't include foils, the range is so different from other boards unless it is so stated. Try to set up a demo session if you can. Otherwise, I would choose a Contra (15 m with twin tip boards at your weight), as my low end go-to kite from long experience myself.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 70cm mast

Follow me on https://Instagram.com/grigorib7

Postby grigorib » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Cabrinha ranges look realistic for riding flat water (no current/waves) on a door.
Contra is an amazing kite, and yet I suggest following
1. Start with long lines or extensions for lightwind - 30-37m lines will do magic in ability to ride in sub 10 knots
2. Get a door board. The bigger the better. I could do my tricks with 170x50cm Flydoor XL. Doors kick ass and allow you to ride smaller sizes
3. I’d say 13m Contra with a door will allow you to ride in 8 knots but if you plan to keep smaller board - get a 15 and line extensions

Well, get line extensions in any case.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Shaun Kaufmann (Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:33 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”