Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can You Learn Kiteloops Without Getting Injured?

Forum for kitesurfers
zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core
Brand Affiliation: Ukraine Slingshot Team Rider

Re: Can You Learn Kiteloops Without Getting Injured?

Postby zloilyoha » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:09 am

TimG wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:25 pm
Hey everyone,

I’m just reaching out here to see what the general consensus is. I’ve been starting to consider doing kite loops above 10 feet, but of the 2 people I know that have gotten into higher kiteloops, both got injured quickly during the learning process. One tore an MCL due to a bad landing and the other broke his ribs due to impact. Both of them had just started to learn kiteloops, and we’re able to lend the majority of the ones they attempted.

So with that being said, from the people I know, there is a 100% injury rate for learning 10+ foot kiteloops. And though they seem really fun, I would prefer to not have to go to a hospital.

What are other people’s experiences? Does pretty much everyone who learns higher elevated kite loops get injured?

advakite.com

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Janus » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:45 pm

:lol:
no.

sooner or later you will hurt yourself, it is as simple as that.. comes with the sport. If you end up in the hospital depends on a lot of factors.
Don't rush to big air kiteloops build it up.

Mgatti
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 80 Kg
Style: freeride / freestyle
Gear: duotone dice 10-8 / duotone juice 15
jaime sls
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mgatti » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi! (first post :) )
I am 30 and I have been trying for a few years to learn big kiteloops. I definitely fear getting injured, so this is what I did:
- attempted them *only* in the right spot and right conditions. For me this *must* mean : 25 knots, not very gusty, 8 meter kite, and either flat water or good ramps.
- got used to small loops on small kites making sure the loops were very very tight
- if I saw my jumps were not very 'vertical' on a consistent bases (because, e.g., the chop prevents me from taking off properly), I didn't attempt kiteloops.
- made sure my body & legs can sustain hard landings by proper training in the gym.
- I don't attempt them the first day of my kite trips, just to be extra sure I don't ruin my holidays :)

This summer I pulled a few 8-10m loops in Drepano. Felt great and I don't regret having been cautious when it came to train kiteloops. Hope it helps!

M.
These users thanked the author Mgatti for the post:
y2kBug (Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:36 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:47 pm

For sure you can learn them without hurting yourself. You just need to progress carefully step by step, and not to push too much (when the wind is too high, gusty etc.). I just have got them ’mastered’ so I pretty much land every single one, going 5-7m highest maybe (so not talking about mega loops in here). I’d say it was way less painful than learning some unhooked stuff in the past. Internet is full of good tutorials for progression. For me the trickiest part was to find out the right take off, which cost me few really heavy landings on the way. I think that when you get take off and timing right, you can do those ”baby kiteloops” in 1,5m and get your kite to catch you, and then progress from there easily when the wind increases. The right equipment plays a big role in here, and there are definitely differences in kites.

Learning kiteloops doesn’t mean that you can’t learn darkslides etc. , you should do both. When you do that, you similarly build looping skills on the way, and for sure it will take your kiteloop progression forward as well. It’s also way easier to learn those slide-tricks with bigger kite when you are not looping anyways.

I was also pretty scared of looping for long time and thought that it’s something that only pro’s can do. After learning, it has been maybe the most enjoyable trick in kiteboarding for me and you get pretty addicted to the feel of yank, and just want to pull them one after another. Go for it!!!
These users thanked the author Werito for the post:
andrzej351 (Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:17 am)
Rating: 6.67%

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm

go for it! but don't rush it
Heli loops need to be instinct. My first few 10m loops, I heli looped on the way down, didn't plan on it at all, or even really knew I did a heli loop until looking at a video after.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb/86kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:22 pm

I've watched two very experienced kiters, one a pro, doing megaloops and crashing. Both would have died had it not been for other kiters around to rescue them. Both spent weeks in hospital, and fortunately both are back kiting. At 65 with a bad knee, no way am I going anywhere near that shit. One thing to enjoy while jumping big without looping is to redirect the kite forward a little for a nice pull, then back overhead for your usual redirect landing. Mike Macdonald has a video about it.

These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 2):
y2kBug (Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm) • Werito (Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:01 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:22 pm
I've watched two very experienced kiters, one a pro, doing megaloops and crashing. Both would have died had it not been for other kiters around to rescue them. Both spent weeks in hospital, and fortunately both are back kiting. At 65 with a bad knee, no way am I going anywhere near that shit. One thing to enjoy while jumping big without looping is to redirect the kite forward a little for a nice pull, then back overhead for your usual redirect landing. Mike Macdonald has a video about it.

That's so true!!! Don't know why people don't do this more, you can really FLY!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 pm

that's why

knee.png
knee.png (399.21 KiB) Viewed 328 times

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 pm

TimG wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:25 pm
What are other people’s experiences? Does pretty much everyone who learns higher elevated kite loops get injured?
I don't know of anyone injured learning bigger loops here. But most of the people I kite with are in our 40s, so we tend to take less risks and are more certain of our skills before trying new things. That said, two of them recently broke ribs. One got lost upside down during a small boogie (maybe 5-6m), while the other did a 15m megaloop and his kite stalled in front of him from a significant wind hole. I've had a few unpleasant ragdoll cartwheel moments that could've gone quite differently.

1.Pivoty, non-yanking kite:
Pretty self explanatory. You can learn loops on any kite, but some make life a lot less painful. Ideally the smaller the kite the better.

2. Learn looping:
Be comfortable looping the kite at any time. Downloops, helis, downwind riding, emergency transition loops, water starts, etc.

3. Learn looping tricks:
As many people have pointed out, learn basic loop tricks like darkslides with varying degrees of loop height/size to get you accustomed to the pull depending on how slow/fast or big you pull the loop.

4. Loop positioning:
Don't just get used to high vs low positions when you initiate your loop. Get used to the kite positions at varying areas of the wind window. Depending on where you loop it towards the edges of the window, it will pull you in that direction. I can't stress this part enough for preventing rotation. You will accidentally throw yourself into some sort of half rotation, usually on takeoff. You can use the kite to pull yourself out of a rotation, or into a rotation depending on how close you are to the edge of the window and direction of loop. I still struggle with this looping switch as I often oversend jumping on my weak side, but thankfully I know how to correct it.

5. Straps
Loose as possible and build good foot strength. If you crash at speed and your foot gets caught, good luck to your knees/ankles. Don't do boots. Crashing hard is infinitely worse in boots.

Kiteloops
6. Don't pull a loop if you're not jumping vertically:
Pretty self explanatory. Even if you get decent height on the jump, the lines will still slack and the kite will stall. Even on a looping kite like an Orbit that can catch on a vertical 3m jump with a high pull, it'll struggle to catch you going under 7m.

7. Flat water:
Learn in flat water. Landing at speed in chop is a ticket to the hospital. I also advise not using kickers for takeoff until you're well experienced. You're very likely to come off slightly unbalanced, which is then multiplied when you pull a loop. I mainly learnt in the flats between waves.

8. Shallow water:
Don't do it. At least in the landing zone.

9. Safety gear:
Helmet and impact vest. They don't prevent all injury, but they definitely help.

Do you need to do any of this? No. People learn various ways and in various conditions. A few of the guys around here started learning kite loops shortly after learning downloops. You know you best as to whether you're comfortable with a bit of extremity.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post (total 2):
y2kBug (Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 am) • andrzej351 (Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 am)
Rating: 13.33%

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:35 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 am

What exactly is meant / do you guys means by a ''mega'' loop?
Megaloop: 10m+, kite less than 15 degrees off the horizontal

Edit:
I think Josh coined a term for sub horizontal loops on short lines.
Last edited by Blackened on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”