Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ion c-bar 2.0 any good?

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Ion c-bar 2.0 any good?

Postby sarc » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:40 am

I'm thinking of plonking some of my hard-earned on a Ion sonar harness, but the Ion website helpfully says: "ION's kite spreader bar C-Bar 2.0 comes with a stainless steal aluminum hook".

If it's aluminum (or if it's steal????) it's hasta la vista as I'm 93 Kg I crash hard and break stuff (hello messed up kiteloop!). Can anyone with a Sonar confirm what the hook is made of?

Can anyone also vouch for the durability of the plastic spreader bar? Thanks!

https://www.ion-products.com/water/trav ... -c-bar-20/

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ion c-bar 2.0 any good?

Postby SMJ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:34 am

I weigh 104kg. I've been riding the C-Bar 3.0 with aluminum hook for months, and I've had zero problems. C-bar 3.0 is my favorite spreader to date.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:35 pm

sarc wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:40 am
If it's aluminum (or if it's steal????) it's hasta la vista as I'm 93 Kg I crash hard and break stuff (hello messed up kiteloop!). Can anyone with a Sonar confirm what the hook is made of?

Can anyone also vouch for the durability of the plastic spreader bar? Thanks!
The C-Bar 2.0 comes with the updated steel hook. The 1.0 had a recall. The 3.0 comes with the G2 version aluminum hook.
If you mtn bike and have had issues with breaking aluminum handlebars and stems, then I'd recommend avoiding the aluminum hook.
AFAIK the composite spreader has had no major issues reported, but some have broken the clamping mechanism. The only thing I do is check the hook screws to make sure they're tight, just like checking fins. So far mine is holding up perfectly. :thumb:
https://www.ion-products.com/special-pa ... es/recall/

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 am

Thanks very much! Fortunately the old Ion all-steel spreader bar is still available and at reasonable cost. Cheers!

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SMJ » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:06 pm

sarc wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 am
Thanks very much! Fortunately the old Ion all-steel spreader bar is still available and at reasonable cost. Cheers!
Yea, one thing I like about the ION spreader is the hooks are replaceable via 3 screws. And you have your choice between aluminum, stainless steel, or the new Quicklock hook - which is my personal favorite.

https://www.ion-products.com/quicklock-hook/

Return to “Kitesurfing”