Forum for kitesurfers
Mitchel_12000
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Harness for hollow back

Postby Mitchel_12000 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:59 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new kite harness, my old one is more then 10 years old and is starting to lose its structural integrity :-). I have a hollow lower back profile and therefor not all harnesses are a good fit. Do you guys have suggestions for hollow backs? Hardshell or softshell? Of course fitting in a shop is the best way but I would like to have some directions on what to search for.

Thanks,
Mitchel

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Harness for hollow back

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:35 pm

I recommend you try out one of the Ride Engine hard shell harnesses. I think they suit wave and foil with a slider a bit more than boosting big with a hook, but they work well for both and they have a pronounced lumbar curve to them. Would suggest you try as small a size as you can get away with if your low back curve is more pronounced than average.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:43 pm

Hello,

I would recommend a harness with a lot of back support like the C2, this has ABS which will mold to your shape similar to what is no hockey skates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGXN2zTD8AY

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:27 pm

You might also check out some hybrid harnesses (cross between hard and soft shell). I'm like you and I've found hybrid harnesses fit my concave back profile the best. Currently I'm using Ion's Riot Curv 14 Select. I've also tried on Prolimit's Vapor and really liked the fit. I now want to try AK Durable's Method and Ride Engine's Saber.
I believe the hybrid construction allows the harness to "suck into" a concave back profile better while still offering exceptional support.
I'd used Mystic's Majestic X when it first came out and it fit me better for a hard shell vs Ride Engine's at the time. Now Ride Engine fits me a bit better.
God luck with the hunt! :thumb:

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zlatko23 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:18 pm

One more "vote" for Ride Engine Elite carbon - I am also with hollow back and 2018 RE fits me perfectly, contouring to my body. At the same Mystic X feels a lot flatter and "shallower", not filling up the concave of my back that well. I have a gap of about 1-2 fingers between my body and the padding of the harness. I also tried the new Mystic Stealth which felt better than the X, but still not as good as RE Elite's shape. RE harnesses a noticeably heavier the Mystic hardshells though and I am not sure if the 2021 RE models are keeping the same shape as 2018 ones.

Mitchel_12000
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mitchel_12000 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:29 am

Thank you all for the advises! Eventually I bought the Prolimit Vapor. It fits to the profile of my back and gives me support. Did my first session with it last Friday in an extremely choppy and chaotic sea. Overall i'm pretty happy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”