elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: too much old gear problem

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 pm

as that wise american sage named george strait once said...

just "...give it away.."

"pre-productions", new and "like new" gear.. i just sell.
never really been a problem getting close to a "new" price as long as you dont abuse things.

when i made the switch modern foil kites.. i had a garage wall full of kites that i'd probably never use again.

i look at my old tube kites like some people look at hoola hoops... ancient archaic artifacts.. that can be still be fun if close your eyes and dont worry it is archaic.

yes, the tube kite do need to be pumped them and then don't fly very well compared to foil kites ..and the tube technology hasnt been updates in 40 years.. but.. they DID actually fly and could still potentially give joy and fun on the water to others..

so i'd simply take an extra kite or two whenever i went to cabarete and give to the local beach boys the help you.
it's ALWAYS appreciated (especially kites..and harnesses)

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:33 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:01 pm
Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:50 pm
old Best Nemesis 9m, yet another kite that seemed great at the time, but really sucks.
That kite is (in some respects) better than most new kites, at least if it is latest version. Very thin LE, Cuben fiber, flex segments, sophisticated bridle (which most even don't understand), five struts... Last winter I did my biggest jump ever on ice with a 8m, it can really jump huge.
Definitely the biggest design achievement of P. Stiewe, what he now does on Eleveight seems pretty ordinary
Well, all it has is a little paint on it if you want it! Can't remember the year, sorry, is there a way I can find out from the kite itself? I even have the original bag, which is twice the size it needed to be.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:31 am

20knotFLOW wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:23 pm
I followed the lead of PUGETSOUNDKITER and I bought a jacket template off of ebay and I plan to build a jacket out of an old (2005?) 15M Fuel I have. Cant wait actually that kite kicked the S*%# out of me a bunch a times.. I have a similar vintage 13M FUEL which I want to build a new umbrella as our fabric cover for our patio set has finally packed it in after 10 years. I bought an older sewing machine and learned to use it. This years winter project:) I think upcycling like this is waaaaay underrated.

viewtopic.php?t=2397714
Very cool, wanna see pics when you're done! Made mine from 100% Dacron. Tough to sew, half had to be done by hand using pliers to pull a thread & needle thru the folded seams. Very stiff, super durable, but ripstop would be way easier to work with. You may want to add some vents, kite fabric is not breathable.
:goodluck:

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:17 am

It is sad to have kites that I would have been thrilled to have when I was starting, just sitting on the shelf not getting used and not getting sold because they are not worth much.
I'm just waiting for someone motivated enough to go get lessons so that I can "just give em away" to a good home.

Return to “Kitesurfing”