Aluula\SLS alternatives ?

Forum for kitesurfers
DuoiQueen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Aluula\SLS alternatives ?

Postby DuoiQueen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 am

Are there any other brands with new technology like the SLS or the Aluula in 2021?

I'm still about to buy the Switchblade 2021 by Cabrinha and I thought they made something lighter and stronger this year too.
Am I wrong ?

Thanks for any help :)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Aluula\Sls alternatives ?

Postby Havre » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am

Core got some new name for their material as well?

I'm interested in new developments myself, but I wouldn't go hunting new material for the sake of new material. Will be very interesting to see what kind of reviews we get from the Rebel SLS and later OR Rise, but unfortunately most reviews are rather useless. Every year all new kites are just brilliant.

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40

Postby LePhasme » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 am

Airush is releasing an airush ultra team with a new material called hookipa that was displayed at the awsi event.

DuoiQueen
Rare Poster

Postby DuoiQueen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am

So Cabrinha is not there yet?

I get understand why not to buy the first new technologies but that looks too good to have any issues with. also I did find some reviews that said good things about this

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:00 pm

With the significance higher price I would probably only buy the largest kite size with the ultralight materials unless you have no budget concerns.
You gain kite speed, therefore power, and for the larger kites that can be very nice (especially if you also want to do loops) but it’s less relevant for anything under about 9m.

Unless you need a lot of drift for a surf/foil, any additional weight savings will be useful there.

Note that the switchblade is particularly heavy. Unless you are a heavy rider putting a lot of stress on the kite maybe just try a generic 3 strut first like the Moto to see if you like that?

PS OR is also making some hybrid aluula/Dacron kites now. Those look interesting price wise. About as expensive as a Ozone/Duotone/Core regular kite but significantly lighter..
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
DuoiQueen (Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Cabrinah has just got Pat Goodman back on the team so dare say you will see something new and possibly better next year from them as I am sure he will be bringing knowledge gained from designing the orbit back with him which seemed popular for north while he was with them.

DuoiQueen
Rare Poster

Postby DuoiQueen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:04 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:00 pm
With the significance higher price I would probably only buy the largest kite size with the ultralight materials unless you have no budget concerns.
You gain kite speed, therefore power, and for the larger kites that can be very nice (especially if you also want to do loops) but it’s less relevant for anything under about 9m.

Unless you need a lot of drift for a surf/foil, any additional weight savings will be useful there.

Note that the switchblade is particularly heavy. Unless you are a heavy rider putting a lot of stress on the kite maybe just try a generic 3 strut first like the Moto to see if you like that?

PS OR is also making some hybrid aluula/Dacron kites now. Those look interesting price wise. About as expensive as a Ozone/Duotone/Core regular kite but significantly lighter..
Yes I am heavy rider I’m somewhere around 95KGS and I’m really about to buy the switchblade 12 in this Thursday but the more I post and read here I’m starting to lose to want to buy this model and size.. it’s just that I have a great price on it for a brand new 2021
But now I’m taking maybe to get some 12 with the new technologies and maybe later add a smaller one from less expensive models 🤨

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Aluula\SLS alternatives ?

Postby madworld » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Cabrinha has fallen behind on development, new owners, the Cabrinha kites are very durable not light. Probally better stuff in a year or two.

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:04 pm

madworld wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:00 pm
Cabrinha has fallen behind on development, new owners, the Cabrinha kites are very durable not light. Probally better stuff in a year or two.
Contra 1S is light.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:57 pm

DuoiQueen wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 am
Are there any other brands with new technology like the SLS or the Aluula in 2021?

I'm still about to buy the Switchblade 2021 by Cabrinha and I thought they made something lighter and stronger this year too.
Am I wrong ?

Thanks for any help :)
I think we are entering a disruptive potentially expensive period of kite design. I read that Pat Goodman in his move back to Cabrinha was already working with new materials.

Return to “Kitesurfing”