Forum for kitesurfers
Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Port Aransas, TX, Live Wind Site?

Postby Juwanna Kite » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 pm

Somebody at Port Aransas told me there was a site where you could get live wind readings instead of the one hour old readings that you seem to get at all the sites (including ikitesurf). I seem to recall a site for a NOAA buoy?

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: Port Aransas, TX, Live Wind Site?

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks. Still one hour behind. But at least there are updates every 10 minutes so you can see the wind trend over time even if the last reading was over an hour ago.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:48 pm

The Conrad Blucher Institute/TCOON has some more up to date readings. For example the data for Bird at the time of this post is 6 minutes old and on iKite 50 minutes. They used to have Port A but now they have a place holder with no data and as "lack of funding" statement.

The main thing to know local wind patterns. If you look at Port A and a nearby premium sensor you can get a good idea what the conditions will be like. For North Winds I like Poenisch. Also you can rotate the wind direction 10 degrees clockwise from what iKite says. Offshore NW winds are usually not as far offshore as it looks on iKite. North winds die earlier than forecast so get it early.

For the next few days your best bet is to catch afternoon thermals on the Bayfront.

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:04 pm

Thanks for the update. I got an hour of winging that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise on Sunday because a friend called me and said it was blowing there, more so than anywhere else. Long ways to drive to get skunked otherwise.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 pm

@Juwanna Kite - When Port-A does that NW wind thing, it's light and gusty on the inside. Drift downwind towards the pier and it gets even worse. Side-off makes for fun and fast down-the-line rides, but too much offshore makes it worse. You can opt for the Bay or maybe consider the South Packery Jetty. The Coastal Bend lives up to its name in those short few miles between the two jetties. The subtle 5-10 degrees less offshore wind angle at S Pack can make it more fun [and safer] than Port-A in side-off conditions.

You have a few CC area options off the West Gulf NDBC site...
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/obs.shtml?lat ... =&op=&ls=n

Return to “Kitesurfing”