Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best winter sailing gloves: from mittens to neoprene

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Best winter sailing gloves: from mittens to neoprene

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:40 am

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best winter sailing gloves: from mittens to neoprene

Postby matth » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:26 am

I doubt those would be warm enough for New England cold. I kite into the mid thirties comfortably with drysuit, hyperflex 7m mittens and ripcurl 7mm booties. NP 5m lobster claws are very good also but not as warm as the hyperflex...

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:00 am

There isn't a best as everyone has different tolerances to cold and fatigue. e.g. some swear by the precurved neoprene gloves but I personally find anything over 1mm to be too thick and make my grip fatigue too quickly.

You have to work out what your particular problem is and then solve that. E.g. plunging your hands into ice cold water for a few minutes before rigging up can cause the vasal constriction to happen before your session so you don't get the cold hands pain on the water (you get it beforehand instead).

For me the problem is the wind chill (though I don't kite in less than 6c as I live in a fairly warm country) so 0.5mm neoprene gloves are the ticket. I have a friend who likes the sealskin cycling gloves and another who goes for the palm less mittens - whereas I think the cycling gloves bunch up too much in the fingers and feel heavy when wet and the mittens flush with cold water too easily (though I like how you can easily pull them off your fingers to get manual dexterity instantly)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:44 pm

I use 2mm boots and 2mm gloves down to 35f. Those gloves are interesting but they don't look very warm even for me. From the way they are built I doubt any of them even have 2mm neoprene. Kiters use much thicker neoprene than sailors do. I tend to go through 2 pairs of gloves every winter so I will probably try one of the gloves on that list out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”