Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Ocean Rodeo Rise A-Series - A Big Air legend is born

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Ocean Rodeo Rise A-Series - A Big Air legend is born

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Archer77 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:18 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:53 pm
I'm sure there will be a learning process with Aluula. And if the prices had been at least close to "regular" kites I might have bought one - but I just ordered a 9 and 13m Edge v11 for more or less the same price as a 12m Rise would set me back in Norway.

I just don't see how that can work longer term, but if demand is higher than supply (short term) then there is no reason for OR to lower their prices.
super! please let's us know when you receive the V11s and how they have been improved in the V10!
Faster, lighter and more powerful :thumb:
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Archer77 (Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:07 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Archer77
Medium Poster
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Zephyr V5 17m
Ozone Catalyst V1 12m, 9m, 7m
Ozone Edge V10 10m

Postby Archer77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:07 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 pm
Archer77 wrote:
Havre wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:53 pm
I'm sure there will be a learning process with Aluula. And if the prices had been at least close to "regular" kites I might have bought one - but I just ordered a 9 and 13m Edge v11 for more or less the same price as a 12m Rise would set me back in Norway.

I just don't see how that can work longer term, but if demand is higher than supply (short term) then there is no reason for OR to lower their prices.
super! please let's us know when you receive the V11s and how they have been improved in the V10!
you have had underground info from Ruben?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Archer77 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:07 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 pm
Archer77 wrote:

you have had underground info from Ruben?
Unfortunately no. I saw someone was communicating with him on Snap, but I don't.

Will probably be a bit off topic soon.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Archer77 (Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:12 pm)

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 pm
I might sound like grumpy ... - but seriously? ....
8) Peter
Skip this thread, Peter, but make sure you test ride this kite - going BIG ( high ) in light & moderate wind is so easy.

Going to be fun pushing my skill & growing the balls to take it out fully-lit.

Toby, this may be the kite for you, if you can convince OR to make some in a jumbo size.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
sonny2727 (Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 am)

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:44 pm

I was watching Giel VLugt's performance in KOTA paying attention to the kite performance. Overall the Rise looks very high AR and smooth compared to some of the other kites in the competition. It gave him alot of hang time allowing him to do floaty jumps relative to the other riders. At the same time he seemed confident the kite would quickly catch him. To me, it looked like he was intentionally doing floaty jumps with "catch up " loops so that he could combine tricks with loops vs just going for a massive One Megaloop to Rule Them All type of jump. Both the rider and the kite did great - his performance in Rounds 2 and 3 was incredible. For a rookie to blow out Aaron Hadlow (Round 3) the way he did was astonishing, granted Hadlow was riding what looked to be a prototype.

The design appears higher AR which would deliver that floatier longer hangtime jump, hard to determine what the speed of the kite would be on a faster design but it both held him up and caught him on the loops. Overall watching the replay I think thats as good an intro to the Big Air market as any kite brand could ever want (note that this forum topic was ridiculous on the title, I agree with you all on that). Keep in mind, OR has not been interested in Big Air in close to a decade. They used to have an aggressive Big Air version of the Razor, the original Rise, and even a Storm kite - all of which they discontinued years ago. So they are playing catchup to the huge design lead the better Big AIr manufacturers have - Core, Duotone, North, etc. have been refining their Big Air kites for years tweaking every shred of performance out of their kites. But hey if they put R&D into it, they can catchup especially if they have some type of ace in the hole to play on the design side.

Now they need sponsor that guy and pay him to train while improving the kite past a 1st generation v1 design. On the rider side, de definitely needs to train IN CAPE TOWN. There is a strong home field advantage to riders who know that specific beach vs people who have only kited there a few times. Showing up a week before the event will not teach you that beach and how it reacts to the different wind directions. I have kited and taught lessons on that beach, it has alot of water features from kickers, to rip currents, etc. that affect where to launch/land tricks. It was pretty obvious he did not know that beach as he did certain things in the wrong spots, wasting precious time in his Heats. Still as a new KOTA rider, amazing performance.

This is giving me high hopes for a broader adoption of Aluula and other new fabrics, especially since another brand (Duotone) with different designs has gotten the ability to utilize it. The guy did a much better performance than I thought he would, especially with so many riders on great designs from Duotone and North that are tried and true at this point. The rider was a KOTA rookie untested at this level and the design was brand new - you gotta figure the materials helped somewhat!

Wonder who won that contest for the 10m Rise!
These users thanked the author dracop for the post:
Gestalt (Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:12 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”