Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Re: The Ocean Rodeo Rise A-Series - A Big Air legend is born

Postby Archer77 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Soleas wrote: This one
ShaveTheWhales wrote:
I can agree with that statement, I have not ridden the Rise - but have the 12m aluula Flite and yes even the Flite does some great big air loops and has the float... (originally bought for light wind foiling and a little TT play until I figured out that it just gets better as the wind gets stronger)

Once upon a time, I thought the kite weight stuff was all bullshit - I was wrong, It's all about the 'strength and weight'...
You will not believe it until you ride one !! Other brands needs to get there Big air kites made out of this stuff and then youll see a serious change in Big air comps.
in the video is clear how fast is it! that's for sure a fundamental difference over traditional dacron kites, the only confirm I wait to see is if the design/aerodynamic is at premium level
These users thanked the author Archer77 for the post:
GingisHan70 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Be fair - its a first year Big Air design with new materials that have alot of differences vs current materials. Prob by year 2 or 3 it will be much improved. Look at how much the North Orbit improved from 2020 to 2021.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 pm

I might sound like a grumpy old man now - but seriously?

I havent read one word of this thread, simply because of the crappy title - it just puts me off totally, so dont wanna read such crap, no matter how good the kite is :(

To call anything "A Big Air Legend is born", before it is released, is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

It will take 5-10 years before anything can be called a "legend", so so silly to start with these words from the start.

Will have nothing to do with brands promoting with such words - no matter if they end up being correct or not...

It is really the most disencouraging words one can hear in an advertise, so wont even read it, bugger what a crappy PR, and I cant imagine anyone believe in such stupid words :cry:

The only thing just as bad, was Cabrinha calling their Fireball CL a "gamechanger" before it was released, and it showed NOT to be so ha haa, same same no matter how they end up, people wont take this shit :rollgrin:

What a major turnoff with such proclamations - couldnt be any worse IMO :x

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Windwarrior (Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:18 pm) • bragnouff (Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:18 am

I learned my lesson with the 12m Flite Gold Edition. I bought one from the first shipment. I was hoping for a big air kite. I found the kite handled well in the bottom and middle of the wind range, but it just sucked at the high-end. Aluula is awesome, but you still need a great kite design. Not that the Flite is terrible, it just doesn't handle great at the top-end.

Hopefully, the new Rise will be much better, but I will wait for others this time to give the kite a try. I wish I had known about OR's excellent return policy. I knew that I was going to return the Flite after only a few flights. Lost a few hundred bucks on that test run.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:47 pm

First time I've ever read Peter_Frank going off!

Fernmanus, I had no problems with the Aluula kites way overpowered. Both the Roam and the Flite held up better than all the other kites I've used in high wind. I'm surprised you had the opposite experience. That said, the Flite is not a big air kite and I don't think it was promoted as such. It's average in boosting. Kite design does matter.
These users thanked the author droffats for the post:
GingisHan70 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:51 am)

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am

Not gonna lie, I was not impressed with the kite at KOTA. The blurb about how it will take a rider some time to get used to its performance was utter tosh.

I really wanted to see a kite that was jumping higher than everyone else and in fact, it wasn't the case. Real shame that Ocean Rodeo played from the Best Hellfish playbook and lost, big time.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:03 am

The kite that won is the one that has been criticized for only using "old" material on here :wink:

I guess maybe all three kites in the final were kites without any new fancy material? Not sure.

That isn't me saying new materials are pointless, but I think one should be realistic as to how much it actually changes. Might be more important in bigger sizes or light wind conditions I guess.

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:19 pm

Yep i must say i was not impessed either and the claims where exagerated. The Orbit looked floatier and boosted higher while being a heavier kite than the Rise.

It is also the kite shape. The rise looks more like an open c and not bow delta type like the Orbit etc. Ocean Rodeo is not known for making a proper huge air kite shape like the XR or Rebel or Orbit.
Also a lighter weight kite will shine in light and moderate winds. In strong winds it wont make much noticable difference.

Lets see what happens when Aluula gets in the hands of other kite designers. Or if Aluula lasts in the business?
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
GingisHan70 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 am)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:53 pm

I'm sure there will be a learning process with Aluula. And if the prices had been at least close to "regular" kites I might have bought one - but I just ordered a 9 and 13m Edge v11 for more or less the same price as a 12m Rise would set me back in Norway.

I just don't see how that can work longer term, but if demand is higher than supply (short term) then there is no reason for OR to lower their prices.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:18 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:53 pm
I'm sure there will be a learning process with Aluula. And if the prices had been at least close to "regular" kites I might have bought one - but I just ordered a 9 and 13m Edge v11 for more or less the same price as a 12m Rise would set me back in Norway.

I just don't see how that can work longer term, but if demand is higher than supply (short term) then there is no reason for OR to lower their prices.
super! please let's us know when you receive the V11s and how they have been improved in the V10!

Return to “Kitesurfing”