Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

The Ocean Rodeo Rise A-Series - A Big Air legend is born

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Ocean Rodeo News:

The Ocean Rodeo Rise A-Series - A Big Air legend is born

or 1.jpeg

Developed from our highly effective partnership with ALUULA Composites, we're proud to introduce the Rise, our new, super-charged, high aspect 5-strut kite that's already delivering an all-new standard in acceleration, precision control, Big Air torque and stratospheric performance.
The combination of the Rise’s highly tuned airfoil design and the benefits of ultra lightweight ALUULA composite material delivers an ultra stable airframe, allowing for utmost rider confidence, and creating a true synergy between Big Air riders and their kite. Rider's such as rising Big Air superstar Giel Vlugt, who'll soon be taking his quiver of Rise kites to the Red Bull King of the Air...

Risa A.png

Built using 82gsm ALUULA Gold composite material and ALUULA Seam technology, the Rise’s power to weight ratio is next level, coming in at over twice the strength of traditional Dacron airframes, yet at half the weight. The airframe can also withstand a higher pressure than the industry standard, providing exceptionally tuned-in and optimized performance, even in the most extreme conditions..

Riders will notice the turbocharged lift on their first jumps, as well as an ability to boost and loop in lighter winds than previously possible, with the larger size Rises in 11m and 12m looping like a 9m in traditional materials. And then, as the conditions become more hardcore, so too does the performance of the Rise…
The results are in and it’s already clear that the Rise will allow Big Air riders to explore moves that are simply not possible on traditionally built kites.
The Rise is a perfect match for the low Y Ocean Rodeo Pilot or Shift Bar.

Available sizes: 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12

“I remember the first time I rode the Rise A-Series and thinking, wow, if this is the future, I am so ready! It's like nothing I have ever ridden before."
- Giel Vlugt

https://oceanrodeo.com/products/rise-a-series

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Ocean Rodeo Rise A-Series - A Big Air legend is born

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Awesome! Looks really really sweet.

No 14-17-20m sizes tho?
Guess the flite still the only option there.
A light five strut 20m that handles up to 15knt, turns responsive for its size (sorry toby) , and still boosts a little bit in 8knt would be sick. Seems like this new Rise could have the potential to be that... Just sayin, Im lucky if I pull out a 12m on some trips to the Caribbean. A super light yet full structured option in the xl-xxl sizes could be useful to some people. Not that I could afford it haha (Well maybe if there was the 20m Id pony up :wink: )

y2kBug
Rare Poster
Gear: All kinds

Postby y2kBug » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:06 pm

From the home page:

> WARNING: The available power and vertical boost will exceed what many seasoned kiters are familiar with. During your initial Rise sessions, please ease into your first jumps, especially in strong winds, in order to adjust to this new performance level.

Haha, hope it's true, and not just marketing

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Pleased to hear the marketing is at least jiving with my expectations of what ALuula would do for a Big AIr target market, now I just want to see it ACTUALLY generate live performance! So far, it has not broken any height or distance records altho pitting a decade+ old design against the best modern big air kites means the materials improvement is compensating for the inefficient design. That can be improved in just a couple of generations though.

Its a shame they abandoned big air so long ago as the design is old (Rise was cancelled after 2012). OR had an older Razor design that had a genuinely violent vertical take off but weak low end; that design would have benefitted better form Aluula imo. Hope they stick with it and hope they do not abandon it like Slingshot abandoned the Raptor. A megaloop is the point of hardest pull a kite can generate and the trick needs a kite that can handle loads of power without deformation and also with better speed (assisted by the stiffer and lighter frame Aluula offers). Aluula seems to offer this but the focus has been on LW and waves so far.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:58 am

dracop wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 pm
... the design is old ...
The Aluula Rise is a new and very different design than the past OR Dacron Rise, produced in 2008 & '09 ( 5-strut ) and 2010 & '11 ( 6-strut ).
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
SENDIT! (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:38 am

I don't know who they have hired etc. but I would compare this to the Orbit 2020 in the sense that someone made a kite from scratch, but obviously not without knowledge about a big air kite.

Will be very interesting to see some reviews of this. Today I mostly use my 12m Enduro, but where I live the wind is quite often just slightly too weak to have much fun. My 17 I don't use much any longer. Love it, but also grown out of it. If this 12m can cover some of the wind range between my current 12 and my 17 that would be perfect. And if the 9m would be able to handle more wind than my 9m Enduro I would really only need 2 kites instead of 3 (my 7 I never use so). If so the cost for this vs a 3 kite setup would be quite comparable.

I just fear like the Orbit 2020 this might need some tweaks before it is where it should be. Time will show.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
GingisHan70 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:39 am)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:54 pm

The design of this kite seems really close to a C-Shape : very explosive and fast, but not so user friendly. The kite is not very "Open"-C
I'm not sure toward what kind of rider they want to sell this kite.

Paleofit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: SF Bay Area: Toll plaza
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core xr6, Ocean Rodeo Flite, Shinn Bronq and King Gee

Postby Paleofit » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Orbit killer no? Probably watch/move it or it will front stall…your reward being and aggressively fast kite that lifts and loops like mad. They do say “user friendly” and that has been my experience with aluula generally.

I too am quite often on 12m and want more. I sometimes do longer lines bc aluula kites are fast. It works for power but not good for other aspects…

If you’re spending up you should have exactly the tool you’re looking for? Janek G said he made 70% of his progression on the 13.5 xr (old school portion of tricks) 3:00 mins in here

Looping orbit 12 in 21k is workable (use a bigger bar) and we’ve seen Giel loop the 12 Rise in normalish conditions.

A 13-15 5 strut that still loops on a normal bar and moderate conditions would be sick
Last edited by Paleofit on Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

y2kBug
Rare Poster
Gear: All kinds

Postby y2kBug » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 pm

From https://oceanrodeo.com/blogs/news/behin ... myerscough

> My first impression under the Rise was insane, having so much power on tap yet with such smooth and precise handling. Some of my best and loftiest jumps have been in moderate winds on the Rise 12m prototype… scaring myself in 20 knots! The Rise is easy to fly and teases you to throw all you have into your first jump, which may well turn into an “Oh sh*t” moment as it rips you skyward far beyond what you expected!
These users thanked the author y2kBug for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”