Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing at night

Postby elguapo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:01 pm

i often ride at dusk..
(swell tends to be peaking and generally i'd have the entire bay to myself)

i know the kite shop in houston did night rides years ago (not sure if is still a thing there)
at least there it is flat water and the hazards are relatively easy to spot.
i believe the tied glowsticks to their kites and to themselves.
i assumed the purpose then...was to just another excuse to get drunk with the boys.

..otherwise i simply dont see the appeal for riding at night just to ride at night..

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Haven't done it in years, but night riding was a great way for a few of us to get out in winter. Totally different on a reflective surface like snow and somewhat of a necessity if your going to get out after work when the sun goes down at 5 pm!

At first we used headlamps, but soon learned to only use them for rigging as they constrict pupils and it was much better to just let your eyes adjust and ride without. Never did this solo, and you need a decent moon. Even with cloud cover there would be enough ambient light reflecting off the snow that you could usually see your lines all the way up to the kite and spotting hazards was pretty easy. Helps to ride in a well known spot. Not really feasible on new moon in pitch black.

Had many fun short sessions at 9 pm on the snow. Now days, with kids, that's close to my bed time!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:48 pm

It is peaceful, even without a moon just using ambient light from shore which we have a fair amount of. You get into a rhythm, get used to dealing with waves in low light and it just goes on. There is lots to think about and plan before, before you do it of course.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:21 pm

I've stayed out well in to dark a few times, it's a bit unnerving, especially if there can be boat traffic. I like to stay in knee deep water to minimize the boat danger.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:43 pm

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. The "men in grey suits" aka sharks, come out at dusk.
2. Wind could shift or die, so know your spot forecast.

You don't want to self rescue in the dark and swim in with the "men in grey suits " stalking you. :o

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:47 am

Back in the day, New Years Eve in Cape Town, from 26min

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:59 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:01 pm
i know the kite shop in houston did night rides years ago (not sure if is still a thing there)
at least there it is flat water and the hazards are relatively easy to spot.
i believe the tied glowsticks to their kites and to themselves.
i assumed the purpose then...was to just another excuse to get drunk with the boys.

..otherwise i simply dont see the appeal for riding at night just to ride at night..
I went to a couple of these night kite events, thought it was a bit crazy idea so I was just going to “watch” lol
Of course I joined in as soon as I saw the setup and everyone having fun, it was a bit of a party kind of like night snow skiing, nothing to crazy with light side on wind.
With glow sticks on body and wingtips ,industrial lights on the beach, and moonlight it wasn’t terrible visibility. When you got to many kites on the water and multiple black kites were involved I would pull out of the lineup let it thin out. Scariest thing was the body dragging with glow sticks attached in water with sharks, but it hey it was thrilling & fun!

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 pm

yeah..

i'm pretty surf tiger sharks breed right there at the dike...
..and there is a history of some big uns getting pulled right out that shallow water

https://www.khou.com/video/sports/outdo ... wsource=cl

(i didnt even think of that additional "trill" of slow trolling yourself with nightsticks during the landlord's prime feeding time)
but i'm sure night riding is fun,,

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 am

Haha - well it DOES take some extra planning... highly recommend lots of neon LIGHT STICKS on your board especially as well as on wingtips and a bunch in and on your harness... ALSO you really need like 3 or 4 people to launch cause you can't see your lines without helpers with flashlights.

But when it all comes together - definitely one on the HIGHLIGHTS of this past summer season - boosting by moonlight is next level - Ask me how I know :)
IMG_5140.jpg
Cheers!

Mc

:dance:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:43 am

What you do is buy a couple of AAA Maglite lights and ziptie each to front lines pigtails. They will lit whole canopy up, guaranteed.
Tie another one to the board and put a few into your pockets.

It looks amazing from shore and riding black water feels like riding motor oil. When you jump it’s hard to spot landing but it’s all fun as long as done safely.

Return to “Kitesurfing”