Forum for kitesurfers
guthrie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Rathbun
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

surfboard, strapless, straps, foot placement

Postby guthrie » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:56 pm

Inspired by a new experience and hope for better light wind days, I got a Slingshot Celeris surfboard. So beautiful!
Starting out strapless, I was having problems with waterstart, getting my feet onto the board while managing kite and downwind drift, etc. I'll get it, but it was frustrating.
So I added foot-straps, which do make it easier to control & wrangle onto the board, but I find that when I get up, I don't seem to be able to keep the front of the board down adequately. It then "bucks" a bit over even small chop.
When strapless, I could move front foot further forward and ride better, but even in the most forward position can't do this with the foot-straps.
Is this a common issue?
I guess I'll go back to strapless.
I also got a foot "hook"? - half strap for the front foot. It is a compromise, making the waterstart a bit easier, but still limiting the forward position.
Any hints?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: surfboard, strapless, straps, foot placement.

Postby jakemoore » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm

You already answered your own question. Straps have two positions only: too far foreword and too far back.

You will get the water start in just a few sessions.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:19 pm

Go back to strapless, believe me when I tell you that once you get it (in 2-3 sessions) you will never want to go back to straps (unless you want to do jumps).

guthrie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Rathbun
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby guthrie » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Got it - thanks.

Knowone
Medium Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Re: surfboard, strapless, straps, foot placement

Postby Knowone » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:46 pm

I love my straps...learned in them, got very good at wave riding...
Peer pressure on the beach got me to take them off for an entire season...
I was never as good strapless.
I always use straps in waves, and no one watches me rip DEEP into the white water and says "Hey, maybe you'd be better strapless"...
To each his/her own..
Either way, you have to put your time in to figure it out
Attachments
smack.jpg
These users thanked the author Knowone for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:23 pm

If you want to ride strapped and keep the front of the board down your best choice is to put the front strap as far forward as you can and when riding in a straight line or upwind keep your back foot out of the back strap and in front of it. It will move your center of gravity forward and help keep the nose down. When you want to jump or ride a wave put your back foot back in the strap, preferably as far back as you can mount it if that doesn’t spread your stance to wide. It can be easily done. Just means moving only your back foot. Also, makes upwind easier as you can move your back foot closer to the toe side to relax a bit more. Either way, experiment and have fun!

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:23 pm

Have not rode with straps on a directional board in years, so take my comment with a grain of salt. Plus I ride mostly flat water with some moderate chop. With straps you may need to put more front foot pressure to keep the board from bucking. When I ride strapless in a straight line I have probably 80-90% front foot pressure. I can practically lift my rear foot off the board. It could be my riding style, conditions or my board design. When turning, more back foot pressure to carve of course. I can also place my feet in the most efficient, and comfortable position. Just my 2 cents worth.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 pm

Each to their own but coming from windsurfing (hoooo) I felt I had to learn something new and try strapless, after twin tip of course.

I loved it because passed the waterstart that was difficult, I had great freedom to find the right position and the board, jibbing was easier too.

I tried strapped boards of course, but as I am heavy I felts the strap positions were always too far back say to go upwind in a wind lull etc.

Even in strong / choppy conditions I hardly loose the board strapless much now, I don't miss the straps .

So do what feels right for you but really strapless is not difficult the waterstart is oonly a few sessions - pressure on back foot heel helps

Agree with previous answer with centered front strap you shift most of your weight on front foot and put light backfoot pressure.
Unless you go strapless and find freely your own balanced position - after 3 years I see the footseps in the wax are all within 2 inches...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:22 am

Hi guthrie, is it correct this is your first waveboard?

As if so, it is very normal that it will "buckle" up.

Simply because you are not used to a waveboard, but (I assume) come from a TT.

On a TwinTip you have the pressure on the rear foot.
On a waveboard you have the pressure on the front foot.

Meaning, it will take some time till you learn the right balance.

As for us used to waveboards, it is NOT normal, you stand in perfect balance in the front footstrap, always.

I honestly believe it is because you are not used to having your front foot as the "central power point".

It will come, in fact you could keep the straps, as then you are forced to learn to do it correctly - having control with the front foot.
The rear strap should only be used when you surf waves or jump, not when going halfwind or upwind.
As when you surf a wave, you put all the load on the front foot in the bottom turn while you lean forward and into the turn, and in the cutback you will put all the load on the rear foot - pushing hard into the crest of the wave making huge spray - wonderful.

Or you ride up over the curling wave for an aerial off the lip jumping as high as possible, and trying to land on the waveface again - very difficult, but extremely fun :thumb:

The exact position of straps is a science in itself, as when experienced you want it to be just perfect - and when you find the right positions you can ride in ALL conditions in perfect balance always :rollgrin:

But as said, if you have no former waveboard experience, it is very normal that you have way too much load on the rear foot, coming from a TwinTip board.

8) Peter

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:01 am

Try to force yourself to always have a bend front knee.

Return to “Kitesurfing”