duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jumping Rules

Postby duddd » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 am

Blackened post should be pinned on every thread! completely agree with all points
Would also add, if you are a big booster, try not to be selfish and respect a circuit (every spot where people boost has a certain circuit).
If you jump, when you get back, leave enough room for the next guy to jump.
If on the way of jumping you are not getting the proper wave or the gust you are looking for, do not tack back until you finish "the circuit" and then you can return, this way leaving the others the possibility to do their thing . you only lose a couple of minutes and 1 jump. if you do not respect this, you mess a lot of other people attempts

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

The story is that a guy who jumped big the other day told me that I should be more careful after landing close to me......I thought that he must be joking or that he is completely nuts.

I was downwind of him and for me it is clear that he needs to be sure there is enough clearance prior to hitting the trigger.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:41 am

duddd wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:29 am
Blackened post should be pinned on every thread! completely agree with all points
Would also add, if you are a big booster, try not to be selfish and respect a circuit (every spot where people boost has a certain circuit).
If you jump, when you get back, leave enough room for the next guy to jump.
If on the way of jumping you are not getting the proper wave or the gust you are looking for, do not tack back until you finish "the circuit" and then you can return, this way leaving the others the possibility to do their thing . you only lose a couple of minutes and 1 jump. if you do not respect this, you mess a lot of other people attempts
Added :).

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:57 am

vela99 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm
The story is that a guy who jumped big the other day told me that I should be more careful after landing close to me......I thought that he must be joking or that he is completely nuts.

I was downwind of him and for me it is clear that he needs to be sure there is enough clearance prior to hitting the trigger.
The upwind rider is at fault in any collision, but everyone has a responsibility to try to prevent them. Just try to remember that the people coming at you, regardless of whether you short tacked or they made a judgement error, has a solid board with sharp fins and anywhere between 60-120kg behind it.

The general idea is just to be aware of what's happening around you. This applies to life, not just kiting.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Faxie (Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 am

Yea, even if you have left plenty of space downwind, things go wrong and change. There are a lot of variables you can try and account for and some you just can’t. So if folks are jumping big, give then room. If your jumping big leave lots of room.
But gusts and lulls still can surprise you, waves can be inconsistent and when you are jumping big you are mostly right on the edge of control so it doesn’t take much to throw things off. Everyone do your best and hope it’s enough.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:17 pm

Blackened wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 am
2. Do not continue your path towards a mate who just went big. No amount of whooping or cheering with make up for the fact you're riding into the danger zone and ruining their landing / landing loop by coming too close, you daft muppet. (I used to be very guilty of this)
knotwindy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 am
...So if folks are jumping big, give then room. If your jumping big leave lots of room.....

Sweet! I can turn other kiters back, claim any part of the break, and do anything I want just by teabagging over a part of the kite spot? AWESOME! And others need to keep track of what other kiters are doing/going to do? SWEET! (immeasurably sarcastic)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:17 pm
Blackened wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 am
2. Do not continue your path towards a mate who just went big. No amount of whooping or cheering with make up for the fact you're riding into the danger zone and ruining their landing / landing loop by coming too close, you daft muppet. (I used to be very guilty of this)
knotwindy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 am
...So if folks are jumping big, give then room. If your jumping big leave lots of room.....

Sweet! I can turn other kiters back, claim any part of the break, and do anything I want just by teabagging over a part of the kite spot? AWESOME! And others need to keep track of what other kiters are doing/going to do? SWEET! (immeasurably sarcastic)
No, you cannot do anything, because you never know what might happen. Better stay at home, under the sheets.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Rules for jumping?

Don’t be a cunt.

If you don’t know how far you are going to go? Don’t jump where you could end up ruining someone else’s day.

It’s your responsibility to make sure it’s clear at all times, if a spot is so busy people “appear in your landing area” it’s too busy and it’s not “your area”

The super rad big jumpers? You not as rad as you think or as good. Your fucked landings go from being a “safe” jump to oh f*** we hit each other

If your jumping/twatting about for go pro footage or stacking clips impacts any other water user in a negative way, it’s your fault.

As for windsurfers all being wished *? Cute but ultimately stupid as you wouldn’t have a kite industry with out them you *.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Woke up feeling happy this morning, did ya?

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:23 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:54 pm
Woke up feeling happy this morning, did ya?
So which bit do you disagree with?

Return to “Kitesurfing”