Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Lift - High Y Conversion

Postby glfmkg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:06 pm

Just wanted to put a note that the High Y Conversion on Airush Lift kites is unreal! The kite has a massive wind range in any size really, but with this conversion makes the kite fly so much better in overpowered conditions. My only challenge is that when I loop the kite is hard to see which way to spin the center lines as the Y is very high up and hard to see sometimes. Not a big deal and maybe it is just me as I have never used a high-Y configuration before. I have a 9m and a 14m Lift. The canopy stiffness with this configuration in overpowered conditions is amazing and this conversion makes it even better!

I would be interested in hearing from other lift users and if you tried this conversion:

Cheers,
G.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Airush Lift - High Y Conversion

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 am

Do you have to adjust the trim when you go from low to high split point? Just thinking of duotone kites and they have different knots on the bridle of the kite depending on which height of split you use on the click bar.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 am

That’s a good point. Presumably front lines are slightly shorter, meaning you’d need a correspondingly slightly shorter steering line too.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 am
Do you have to adjust the trim when you go from low to high split point? Just thinking of duotone kites and they have different knots on the bridle of the kite depending on which height of split you use on the click bar.
nope same knot attachments for both; kite is trimmed perfectly with high-Y or low-Y configuration

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:29 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 am
That’s a good point. Presumably front lines are slightly shorter, meaning you’d need a correspondingly slightly shorter steering line too.
If they are, it is insignificant. The kite has 3 attachment points on the steering lines, but I attach them normally in the middle (recommended) one.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 am

Okay. Interesting to see. I guess that the pulley bridle system sorts it out and that accounts for much of how the kite closes up when you change the split point. Bridle design is cool!

For info, on the duotone kites the difference between the knots is about an inch (2.5cm) for a difference of maybe 6m in split height.

Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Urk
Favorite Beaches: Urk, Mirns, Stavoren, Trintelhaven, Wijk aan Zee, IJmuiden, Zandmotor
Style: Old School, Freeride little Un-Hooking
Gear: Ozone Enduro V3 8 - 10 mtr, 17 mtr Zephyr V6

Postby Meindert de Boer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 pm

glfmkg wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:06 pm
Just wanted to put a note that the High Y Conversion on Airush Lift kites is unreal! The kite has a massive wind range in any size really, but with this conversion makes the kite fly so much better in overpowered conditions. My only challenge is that when I loop the kite is hard to see which way to spin the center lines as the Y is very high up and hard to see sometimes. Not a big deal and maybe it is just me as I have never used a high-Y configuration before. I have a 9m and a 14m Lift. The canopy stiffness with this configuration in overpowered conditions is amazing and this conversion makes it even better!

I would be interested in hearing from other lift users and if you tried this conversion:

Cheers,
G.
Question,

I see in your overview that you have also experience with the Ozone Zephyr V?
And I would like to ask, if you feel big difference with the bar pressure... known that you have the 14mtr Lift and Zephyr is 17mtr...

I am thinking to buy the Lift 17mtr (still need to find a demo) but on the site they speak about windrange from 7-16 knots and the Zephyr V7 and XR7 are till 20 knots.
But Airush are talking about the this kite needs to be overpowered the better. So I am a little confused, how long you ride the 14 mtr?

btw. I am doing mostly Airstyle and need to be overpowered for longer hangtime. So yes I ride my Zephyr around 22-24 knt max.

thanks for your experience.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:03 am

Meindert de Boer wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 pm
glfmkg wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:06 pm

Cheers,
G.
Question,

I see in your overview that you have also experience with the Ozone Zephyr V?
And I would like to ask, if you feel big difference with the bar pressure... known that you have the 14mtr Lift and Zephyr is 17mtr...

I am thinking to buy the Lift 17mtr (still need to find a demo) but on the site they speak about windrange from 7-16 knots and the Zephyr V7 and XR7 are till 20 knots.
But Airush are talking about the this kite needs to be overpowered the better. So I am a little confused, how long you ride the 14 mtr?

btw. I am doing mostly Airstyle and need to be overpowered for longer hangtime. So yes I ride my Zephyr around 22-24 knt max.

thanks for your experience.
I have Zephyr V6 - the bar pressure between the Lift and the Zephyr is almost identical. My 14m Lift is setup in the "less pressure" setting of the bridal.

You are right, the Lift doesn't like light winds! it needs to be powered. This is why I got a Zephyr, as it stays in the air with 6 knots! I can't ride it, but it is good if the wind drops that the kite can stay in the air. I can ride the Lift (I'm 220 lbs) the Lift 14 easily until 25 gusting 28 (specially setup in the high-v that I posted) - I rather use my 12m up to 25 knots, but where I ride can be gusty and sometimes it builds from 15 knots to over 25knots. My Zephry has also an amazing wind range, I can ride it up to 20-22 knots. For me is all about staying well powered with the smallest kite possible, without being super worried if the wind picks up. Here are my choices of kites

12 knots to 15 knots - I grab my 17 meter Zephyr (I can hold this kite until 20-22)
14 knots to 20 knots - I grab my 14 meter Lift (I can hold this kite until 25-28)
18 knots to 25 knots - I grab my 12 meter Pivot (I don't have a Lift on 12 - otherwise I would - I can hold this kite until 30)
22 knots to 35 knots - I grab my 9 meter Lift (I can hold this kite to.... I'm note sure! I was out gusting 38 the other other day like nothing)
over 35 knots - I grab a 7m Airush Wave - (only used this kite 3 times)
over 40 knots I watch others :-)

I like bigair and hangtime, so I try to go with the smallest kite I can being well powered. I find that a smaller kite well powered flies faster and lifts a lot higher than being super overpowered to the point where I can hold my edge. I find the range on the Lifts amazing, but again, it likes to be powered! If the wind goes down, it's a heavy kite and will not stay in the air.

Hope that helps,
G.

Return to “Kitesurfing”