Medium Poster
Local Beach: St kilda Melbourne
Favorite Beaches: Rodos Prasonisi
Style: Old school
Gear: Flysurfer Boost3, Ozone bar V4 for now, Crazy Fly carbon board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: CrazyFly Sick bar 2021 Falling apart mid jump - warning

Postby Cezary » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:41 pm

most companies do care about the safety of their control bars and their users, a number of recalls was made recently without any reports of injuries only due to abundance of caution and regard for safety of the customers, here are 3 photos of recent examples.2 of those concern the durability of the loading lines, the one that CF just forget to install!!
Indeed CF had audacity to offer me a replacement bar, the bar that could have killed me cos majority of my jumps are way above 10m!….but perhaps it was their sense of humour!? In any case I disregarded this mad proposition.
They also have audacity to say now oh well we just forget to put the loading line into your bar!!!No more photos required it’s all clear.
If any sane person accept such explanation he/she is worth as much as the Manufacturer of this crap!
Attachments
CBFE135B-40AB-447A-AB22-F02F2B91B474.png
981E0AB9-28B7-4297-BB83-11E846BB829B.png
EAD9CC0F-376C-4C8A-9004-2CBA19FE41DA.png

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:00 pm

That is very surprising they could forget the loading line and still assemble the bar .
What was holding it together then ? the depower tube ?

Cezary
Medium Poster

Postby Cezary » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 pm

alpaia wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:00 pm
That is very surprising they could forget the loading line and still assemble the bar .
Yes those "magicians” from CF sold the bar without Chicken Loop line or Safety line should we say since on that line your Life depends when boosting!
And Yes the PU tube took the role of my safety line saving those jerks $25!
in fact it did hold for 10/12 sehions until snapped at swivel under pressure!
Attachments
8C402408-8152-46F7-BD04-CFCADD2490D9.jpeg
2C9B5841-BEF8-4F39-AE8C-6FFD375B56F4.png

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:15 am

I helped a friend unpack a brand new Duotone Rebel and Trust bar the other day and there was a card inside with all the parts of the bar and a 'checked' mark next to each part with date and person who checked it. There was also a tag on the kite whiich said 'pre inflated and left for 12 hours under pressure'.

Now that's some reassuring quality control.

Cezary
Medium Poster

Postby Cezary » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 am

Soleas said: 'pre inflated and left for 12 hours under pressure'.
I wasnt to mention this issue since it’s trivial in comparison to the potentially deadly bar I got from those szarlatans but I will now since I got the same assurance from them as I quote above.
Yes I know I’m stupid but the bar wasn’t the only thing I bought from them. For a change from riding Edges/Boost3/Pivot for the last 10years or so I bought Scoulp 2022/12m.
It came with badly twisted, bulging struts as on photos, never seen something like that, neither the guys at my local! I wanted to return this crap straight away but not so easy! They told me each kite is checked by not one but 2people before shipping.
They forced me to send the kite for the repair what I find unacceptable! If you buy a fridge or Tv and something is wrong they don’t tell you to send it to a workshop, they give you a new one or refund it’s clear as day but not with these dishonest people.
They said the struts got twisted during transport and they pay for fixing them.Full stop
That’s their approach!
Attachments
IMG_9403.PNG
82E66B2D-B1AE-4C6A-9720-AFB2670E3200.png

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:00 am

While you certainly had a bad experience and should expect some form of closure, Crazyfly is not inherently evil. I had a good experience with them replacing a board under warranty. Service was prompt, and they replaced with new stock a year newer than my model.

I also had a depower main line fail in my North Navigator bar. In Cape Town. In the same session I had done a 17.6m jump. I was lucky, the line snapped just as I was loading to jump, so I just flopped into the water as the kite blew away. North replaced my bar, and a few weeks later issued a recall. I am convinced I was the source of that recall. I think North handled everything very well. Crazyfly needs to review their QC and decide if this was a one off or a broader problem, and then act appropriately. Based on my experience with them, they probably will.

Hell, even Mystic recalled their gear, and that was a brand everyone saw as bulletproof.

Kiting is inherently risky. Gear can fail, new or old. Others reduce risk by building their own bars, or thoroughly inspecting gear, or buying from “better perceived” brands, but as you can tell no brand seems to be free of faults. Especially on this forum, you will find evidence of gear failures from EVERY brand.

Cezary
Medium Poster

Postby Cezary » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:52 am

Thanks for your post Mate, I do agree with you ,but only in part. I had a good experience with CF myself!the same as you in regard to a kite board I also bought 2nd hand Scoulp and love it, main reasons I bought new 12m!
But that’s about it. I strongly disagree a new gear may fail or as in my case come incomplete without the most critical part for our safety - The Loading Line!
If you don’t agree with me here is what one of the Owners of CF said in an interview for iksurfmag.
Juraj Bukovcak in 2018 said:
“To be honest, the bar is definitely the most difficult product we make. I will repeat myself, but the most challenging part is safety. On the bar nothing can break because it puts the riders at high risk! All parts of the bar are very carefully designed to be extremely strong and durable”!!!

So sorry Mate ,but I rather agree with this guy than your opinion the new gear may fail, or indeed come with safety parts missing!!Unfortunately they are only empty words as we can see, and what is worst pretending that nothing really happened.They even didn't admit for 2 weeks the critical part of the bar wasn't installed, until I put my post here!
If their negligence is not criminal their refusal to act and warn the users of this appropriately called SICK bar is criminal as far as I’m concerned.
In USA the case would be easy they would pay and pay a lot for everyone broken rib and every crack in it.
Just got response from US Consumer Safety Product Commission with advice I have to pursue the matter with local Authorities since the bar wasn't sold in USA.
So it's good news for CF so far they can push their Sick bars into USA market with no limits and no warnings about potential death trap.
Attachments
9B898A1A-4DCA-4602-A855-7CBA92B2BD9C.png

ArneB
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee (The Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (The Netherlands)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Vegas
Has thanked: 0

Postby ArneB » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:49 am

Surely the PU alone can't take any load, let alone 10-12 sessions.
Maybe the main 5mm depower line snapped and was ripped out of the PU?

Bag
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 86
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Hyperlink, peak4, sonic3
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bag » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:35 am

Cezary wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 pm
alpaia wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:00 pm
Yes those "magicians” from CF sold the bar without Chicken Loop line or Safety line should we say since on that line your Life depends when boosting!
And Yes the PU tube took the role of my safety line saving those jerks $25!
in fact it did hold for 10/12 sehions until snapped at swivel under pressure!
How can someone use such equipment without a clue of gow things are assembeld. One simply cannot inspect and evaluate state of the inventor and critical safety points. That pu tube does not hold anything. Design is clear and simple - there supposed to be depower rope loop mounted on a pin that is lost in this picture. Worn and broken depower line is a common yet not normal incident.
If depower line is missing, it must have snapped near the top of pu cover and got lost in the water since the pin that was holding remaining rope was lost. Natural disassembly process.

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:46 am

Struts twisted during transport? How? Kite is inside a bag, folded and tied with a string . Only way they can end like that is during assembly at the factory. Someone just put them there without testing (inflating) them obviously.
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
Cezary (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”