Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Sleeving a flying line

Postby edt » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:12 pm

splicing is easy. keep practicing you'll eventually be able to splice a line in 30 seconds

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:32 am

A guitar string is fine for splicing kite lines. It doesn't matter which one as long as it's not a wound string.

You don't so much pull the line through as push it. You push the outer line towards the entry point and that opens the weave and allows the line to pass down the middle.

There's a number of other techniques. You can simply fold the line back on itself and pull it through. That works fine with guitar strings.

You can catch just the tip of the line in the end of the fid so you've only got a small surface area. That works better with commercial steel fids. The steel acts like a clamp and holds the line.

You can do a bit of a taper on the end of the line then fold it back. That reduces the thickness of the folded over bit. You have to take care that you're close to the thicker end of the taper so that you don't shred the line while pulling it through.

For really thin lines a darning sewing needle works best. Thread the line through the eye of the needle. Feed the needle down the line and out the end.

If you do a Brummel splice you don't need to sew the splice. If you're doing a number of lines you have to measure and mark them at the same time under equal tension. You have to do them exactly the same every time. You can't easily adjust Brummel splices.

You can do a simple splice and adjust it all you want. You can hand sew the bury. It only takes a few stitches. The strength comes from the length of the bury. The stitches are only there to stop the splice slipping when it's not under tension. The best thread is bonded polyester. Normal polyester is adequate. Dental floss will do in a pinch. Avoid cotton.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
edt (Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby supachip1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:20 pm

yes, i have used one of the ones with the hook at the end, it's hinged so opens as you push it through and then closes holding the line as you pull it back. but not so good thicker line.
you can buy Fids for 1.5-4mm line.

kamaikuzas sock analogy is pretty spot on for the tails or adding sleeving.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:02 am

Agree with previous comments - thin guitar string does the job and is very cheap.

I push the outer line so it shortens and does like an accordeon so the line inside is easier to pull through

just a bit of practice its not rocket science.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:52 am

Before burying the splice I unravel a bit over an inch at the end and put half of it thru the fid and let other half fold back.

I use d splicer fids. I tried wire and I think now I could make a wire work fine but when starting out I had lots of issues. D splicer works great and I use all the sizes cause I splice lines when building up bars and depower lines.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:10 am

supachip1 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:20 pm
yes, i have used one of the ones with the hook at the end, it's hinged so opens as you push it through and then closes holding the line as you pull it back. but not so good thicker line.
you can buy Fids for 1.5-4mm line.

kamaikuzas sock analogy is pretty spot on for the tails or adding sleeving.
I tried the hook ones and the edges of the hook and the gate caught the threads of the line.

I mostly use the D-Splicer splicing tools. Very pleased with them. The D-Splicer scissors are great for cutting line.

The tip about shredding the end of the line and folding half back sounds like a good thing to try.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:39 am

I have done a lot of splicing on all types of lines. On flying lines i used bait needles, guitar strings etc. Made my own hollow "D" Splicers of Knitting needles for thicker lines...
I managed to do some good splices on 3-4mm double braided lines, spliced DC 60... In short, i love splicing.
Recently i found this https://www.liros.com/catalog/en/search ... cro+needle
I must say, i only use now this needle up to 2mm lines. Juster excessively taper the line ends to get it through the needle eye.
No more hassle with bending strings, much quicker working process.Simple&straightforward.Last forever& cheap. On this needle length i can make the bury at least 15cm long with the Liros 401 ( 100x line diameter)With some efford 18cm(x120).But indeed it would be nice to have a 2cm longer model

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:28 pm

I use violin strings, even thinner. Works like a charm on fly lines.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:13 pm

Breze wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:39 am
...Recently i found this https://www.liros.com/catalog/en/search ... cro+needle
That's just an ordinary darning needle. Also known as wool sewing or tapestry needle. You can buy a pack of them for about $3. Lots of different sizes available.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:36 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:13 pm
Breze wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:39 am
...Recently i found this https://www.liros.com/catalog/en/search ... cro+needle
That's just an ordinary darning needle. Also known as wool sewing or tapestry needle. You can buy a pack of them for about $3. Lots of different sizes available.
basically yes, but with a slimmer ear. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”