Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cheapest place to do a "Season" of 3\4 months of kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
DuoiQueen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Cheapest place to do a "Season" of 3\4 months of kiting?

Postby DuoiQueen » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Hey (:
I'm looking for a good place to practice my kiteboarding skills, I want to become better especially in Big Air and some Freestyle.. and maybe get into some strapless wave riding..
I thought of Brazil, maybe Cumbuco? or Athens? also thoughts of Paros, Greece, Tarifa, Dominican republic?
I know Egypt is fine too, but I hear that during the "best time" there is a lot of traffic inside the water so I also prefer a place where I can have some free space to try new things lol..
It sounds like I'm looking for the dream spot but I guess I will have this opportunity once in the next few years..
My budget for this trip is somewhere around 15,000 $
Thank you very much for reading and for your help !

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Cheapest place to do a "Season" of 3\4 months of kiting?

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Which months?

Cumbuco anytime between June til January.
15k will make you leave like a real queen !

2k a month is 10.000 Reais. Decent apartment maybe 3-4000 R (prices going up a lot lately), Then 1000 Reais per week makes you eat every night in a restaurant.
No need for a car...everything is close to the beach. Bus is for free...Uber works fine.

Warm water, winds between 15-25 knots. Big city close by if you need medical help. Uber gets you there for 40-60 R, 40 min drive.

Or anywhere up the coast...but Cumbuco is the best place for a longer stay. You can do some trips with friends you make here.

So, just stay longer ;-)
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
DuoiQueen (Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:30 pm

I love Cabarete, but wind isn't good enough to stay there for 3-4 months. Also not the easiest place to practice big air. Advanced riders will use the shore break as a kicker, but that requires quite a lot of skill. On kite beach where it is flatter water it is typically very busy.

Tarifa is a cool place, but also quite gusty. At times very gusty. Might not be the easiest place to develop big air skills. Unless you get to a level where you learn to use the gusts.

Brazil and South Africa are both amazing. And you shouldn't have any problems on that budget at either place.

If you want to go somewhere in the middle of nowhere Indonesia, the Philippines and Madagascar would be places to look up. There you can definitely find both wind and spots with a lot of space.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
DuoiQueen (Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 am)
Rating: 6.67%

PusherII
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5

Postby PusherII » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:30 pm
I love Cabarete, but wind isn't good enough to stay there for 3-4 months. Also not the easiest place to practice big air. Advanced riders will use the shore break as a kicker, but that requires quite a lot of skill. On kite beach where it is flatter water it is typically very busy.

Tarifa is a cool place, but also quite gusty. At times very gusty. Might not be the easiest place to develop big air skills. Unless you get to a level where you learn to use the gusts.

Brazil and South Africa are both amazing. And you shouldn't have any problems on that budget at either place.

If you want to go somewhere in the middle of nowhere Indonesia, the Philippines and Madagascar would be places to look up. There you can definitely find both wind and spots with a lot of space.
Why did u say cabarete not good wind for 3-4 months?
From may to September actually wind every fuckin day!!

Also if u say too crowded, u never kited at play encuentro that's an absolute gem and almost nobody there in the afternoon. I will be there in june

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:37 pm

You sound like a nice guy :lol:

Feel free to disagree. A lot of marginal days in Cabarete. First year I was there the wind was great. Other times very often around 15-16 knots. Not the most exciting place to stay for 3-4 months if the wind isn't good.

I don't see Encuentro as a good place to learn how to guy high. But again feel free to disagree.

In my opinion there are much better places to spent 3-4 months than Cabarete. Even if when the wind is good it is one of my favourite places to kite. And at least it used to be a very good place to spend 2-4 weeks. Seems to have become less kite focused and more general tourism over the last years though.

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:50 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:19 pm
Which months?

Cumbuco anytime between June til January.
15k will make you leave like a real queen !

2k a month is 10.000 Reais. Decent apartment maybe 3-4000 R (prices going up a lot lately), Then 1000 Reais per week makes you eat every night in a restaurant.
No need for a car...everything is close to the beach. Bus is for free...Uber works fine.

Warm water, winds between 15-25 knots. Big city close by if you need medical help. Uber gets you there for 40-60 R, 40 min drive.

Or anywhere up the coast...but Cumbuco is the best place for a longer stay. You can do some trips with friends you make here.

So, just stay longer ;-)
as a Brazilian, I wonder know if there's some place cheaper than here...

our currency lost its value against almost any currency around the world :(

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:55 pm

Cumbuco, as Toby said, is the easiest place to go here in Brazil for kitesurfing because it's close to Fortaleza, where you'll find an international airport, however, it's not the best place to boost high. It's actually an amazing place for people practicing wakestyle due to the lagoons (Tabuba, Cauipe and Taiba are close to Cumbuco). Wind frequency there is about ~80% a year but is aroung 15-20 knots and warm. Leave your wetsuit there. Going "up", in the northwest direction of Ceara's shoreline the wind is getting stronger and stronger. Ilha do Guajiru, Preá, Tatajuba, Barra Grande, etc... you'll have the same ~80% of wind frequency but much stronger 25-35k (also warm), however, you'll be far from any big city.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 am

Cabarete in the summer months May - August is pretty consistently wind with many days of wind in the 20 - 28 knot range. Less windy in the winter months with many days in the 15-16 knot range & some days around 20 knots. Buen Hombre, about 100 kms west of Cabarete is known to be significantly windier, has flat water for boosting & freestyle & is uncrowded ... but it's remote. 3 - 4 months is a long time, you're likely to have plenty of opportunity to kite in any reasonably windy location. I would choose somewhere that has things to offer other than just wind.

PusherII
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5

Postby PusherII » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:47 pm

Havre wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:37 pm
You sound like a nice guy :lol:

Feel free to disagree. A lot of marginal days in Cabarete. First year I was there the wind was great. Other times very often around 15-16 knots. Not the most exciting place to stay for 3-4 months if the wind isn't good.

I don't see Encuentro as a good place to learn how to guy high. But again feel free to disagree.

In my opinion there are much better places to spent 3-4 months than Cabarete. Even if when the wind is good it is one of my favourite places to kite. And at least it used to be a very good place to spend 2-4 weeks. Seems to have become less kite focused and more general tourism over the last years though.
I lived there for years and as quite everybody will tell you, summer time is 20-25 Knox everyday. Winters are very different, i really disliked. Lot of days without wind, some 15 Knox range but bigger sea than summer.
My 2 cents

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:25 am

Sri Lanka is a great place for kiting. Windy most days during June thru to end September.

Return to “Kitesurfing”