Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Mystic Hard Shell Harnesses Durability

Postby aitorlopezosua » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:46 am

Hi there,

Just wondering if people have seen these harnesses cracking on the hard shell (yes, I know, I could not believe it neither).
I recently cracked one (Majestic LEN10) and I know another rider who cracked a Stealth. In my case it started with the graphics cracking but a few weeks later the hard shell was cracked.

Cheers

NorwayIsCold
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sola beach, Stavanger, Norway
Favorite Beaches: Jeri
Style: Freestyle, getting into wakestyle
Gear: North Dice 2015 - 11m
North Dice 2014 - 8m
North Dice 2018 - 12m, 9m
North Click bar
Slingshot Widowmaker 2015
Saul Customs - Modified Pure 2.0
Ronix One boots
Mystic Majestic X
Manera wetsuit

Re: Mystic Hard Shell Harnesses Durability

Postby NorwayIsCold » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Have a first batch Majestic X hardshell and it holding up very good. I have some graphic cracks as well, but no shell cracks.
I would think that leaving harness facing up towards the sun for long periods of time could affect it as back shell is carbon and it attracts the sun a lot. UV damage is quite a bit issue with kite gear in general. In Northern counties with little sun kites remain crispy for waaay longer then in places like Brazil and Egypt.
These users thanked the author NorwayIsCold for the post:
aitorlopezosua (Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100

Postby aitorlopezosua » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:28 pm

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 pm
Have a first batch Majestic X hardshell and it holding up very good. I have some graphic cracks as well, but no shell cracks.
I would think that leaving harness facing up towards the sun for long periods of time could affect it as back shell is carbon and it attracts the sun a lot. UV damage is quite a bit issue with kite gear in general. In Northern counties with little sun kites remain crispy for waaay longer then in places like Brazil and Egypt.
It could be an option but after 8 months (winter time on the Southern Hemisphere) and not leaving the gear exposed to sun (except kiting) I will rule it out. Guessing if the carbon shell could have here and there weak points. Warranty cover the harness, I have a new one but just curious.
669F3200-6B70-4627-8C37-2A3FE566E122.jpeg
D0EF4F7E-08BF-43FF-BF6A-E0C2187AC7D9.jpeg
51E8DDF1-C4E7-4980-9516-6BC6B4E7C3BD.jpeg
Also I found that the metal buckle that goes into the spreader bar had a crack on the metal and it is not posible to buy a replacement from Mystic.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Had mine for 2 years. As new. But I guess a crack won't necessarily come gradually if it happens.

My first Majestic harness held up fantastically. Except for the silly locking mechanism, which was a nightmare to open in cold weather, that harness was brilliant. The X is even better (so far), but they did mess up the hook on the stealth bar and these cracks are not good of course. Time will tell if this is a trend or not. I love their harnesses so I really hope this is just a couple of completely random failures.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
aitorlopezosua (Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Havre wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm
Had mine for 2 years. As new. But I guess a crack won't necessarily come gradually if it happens.

My first Majestic harness held up fantastically. Except for the silly locking mechanism, which was a nightmare to open in cold weather, that harness was brilliant. The X is even better (so far), but they did mess up the hook on the stealth bar and these cracks are not good of course. Time will tell if this is a trend or not. I love their harnesses so I really hope this is just a couple of completely random failures.
They have changed locking mechanism on stealth bar, I had original one and it was sometime nightmare to open it but recently bought larger size as a friend on mine pointed out that flaps should be further inside harness so I switched from 280 to 320 and new bar has better locking mechanism.
I like mystic X hardshell harness a lot and tried ride engine one but it had pressure points that I don't have on mystic but maybe it's a matter of body shape?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:47 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:16 pm
Havre wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm

They have changed locking mechanism on stealth bar, I had original one and it was sometime nightmare to open it but recently bought larger size as a friend on mine pointed out that flaps should be further inside harness so I switched from 280 to 320 and new bar has better locking mechanism.
I like mystic X hardshell harness a lot and tried ride engine one but it had pressure points that I don't have on mystic but maybe it's a matter of body shape?
Maybe it is a bit unclear, but I meant the normal bar 2.0 or whatever they called if for my old Majestic. The one you have to "pinch" to open. Difficult to open in cold weather and also extremely sensitive to even the smallest amount of sand.

As for the stealth a bit more leverage sounds like a good idea. Not much of an issue for me, but couldn't hurt.

The Majestic X is for me a 10 out of 10 product - as long as it doesn't crack of course :wink:

As for fit - yeah - body shape matters - and it is a it random it seems which brands will fit you better/worse.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:17 pm

My Mystic Majestic X harness cracked as did my regular kitesurfing buddy's, and our local shop were told that they (Mystic) hadn't seen this before. Seems that it certainly had been seen before.

Both harnesses were replaced by Mystic so no complaints, and the new harnesses are definitely stiffer and stronger construction with less flex in them. Still great fit though, so recommended.

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Weight: 100

Postby aitorlopezosua » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 am

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:17 pm
My Mystic Majestic X harness cracked as did my regular kitesurfing buddy's, and our local shop were told that they (Mystic) hadn't seen this before. Seems that it certainly had been seen before.

Both harnesses were replaced by Mystic so no complaints, and the new harnesses are definitely stiffer and stronger construction with less flex in them. Still great fit though, so recommended.
Today my kite buddy cracked his Stealh. I know another cracked Stealh too from another local rider. Let’s see how it goes, just replace my Majestic X for a Stealth. Tried today and I love it but not sure how long it will last.

Return to “Kitesurfing”