Cabrinha Contra 11m vs 13m

Forum for kitesurfers
vitaum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: São Paulo - Brazil
Style: freeride
Gear: cabrinha contra 9 and 11m 2021, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha Contra 11m vs 13m

Postby vitaum » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:13 am

Anyone who rode both ot them (contra 11m 1 strut and contra 13m 3 struts) can compare then? specially low end and foiling
I have a contra 13m and been trying to demo a 11m for several months without success...
I weight 72kg and my use will be for foiling in light winds... Would the 11m have more low end due to having less struts and of course weight? (and maybe for being faster)
And how does the contra 1 strut compare to ozone alpha/naish boxer/airush ultra?
Thanks guys!

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Re: Cabrinha Contra 11m vs 13m

Postby rjkritzer » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:44 pm

vitaum wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:13 am
Anyone who rode both ot them (contra 11m 1 strut and contra 13m 3 struts) can compare then? specially low end and foiling
I have a contra 13m and been trying to demo a 11m for several months without success...
I weight 72kg and my use will be for foiling in light winds... Would the 11m have more low end due to having less struts and of course weight? (and maybe for being faster)
And how does the contra 1 strut compare to ozone alpha/naish boxer/airush ultra?
Thanks guys!
Hey Vitaum,

I had the exact same question about the 11 vs 13m Contra - have you had a chance to demo or own the 11m? I have foiled with the 13 in very light wind and thought it was great that I could get out on the water, but wondering if the 11 is a better option.

Thanks

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:48 pm

Disclaimer: I don’t own a Contra however I do have a bunch of low wind foiling experience.

For a medium weight rider (80kg or so) the 11m makes more sense, depending on the wind speeds it could even be considered large.
Once you have some skill you should be able to ride down to around 9 knots.
At those wind speeds you simply want a light kite. A lighter kite should not require as much attention when you get on the board eg downlooping to keep it from falling out of the air.
The extra grunt of the extra m2 are only needed sub 9 knots (unless you are heavy maybe) and it won’t help that much since it would likely be a slower kite then the 13m decreasing the power differential.

If you aim to ride often on sub 9 knots I would highly recommend a big no strut or foilkite.

Not sure how cabrinha markets these kites but I assume the one struts are geared towards foiling and the bigger 3 struts towards twintips.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:16 am

I have been riding the one strut Contras for a year now (200 sessions) I have 5,7,9 and 11. For a 64 kg rider the 9m is all I need using the Moses 633. I can keep the 9m in the air when it is not possible to ride so don't listen to the foil kite fans or think it has to be no strut. I have gone head to head against equal riders on the UFO and have seen no appreciable difference. For your weight definitely go with the 11m one strut. I also ride the 11m with a surfboard. I love my single strut Contras.

vitaum
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha contra 9 and 11m 2021, sabfoil moses 590-330 with a naish hover 130 foil board

Postby vitaum » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:40 pm

rjkritzer wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:44 pm
vitaum wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:13 am
Thanks guys!
Hey Vitaum,

I had the exact same question about the 11 vs 13m Contra - have you had a chance to demo or own the 11m? I have foiled with the 13 in very light wind and thought it was great that I could get out on the water, but wondering if the 11 is a better option.

Thanks
Hi rjkritzer! Still couldn´t find a demo here, and I also have a 13m 2018.
My 13m is excellent for twintip, really a session saver, I have plenty of fun with it. But for foiling sometimes I feel that it is just too heavy, and it has a strong grunt pull that gets me off the board in gusts

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:44 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:48 pm
Disclaimer: I don’t own a Contra however I do have a bunch of low wind foiling experience.

For a medium weight rider (80kg or so) the 11m makes more sense, depending on the wind speeds it could even be considered large.
Once you have some skill you should be able to ride down to around 9 knots.
At those wind speeds you simply want a light kite. A lighter kite should not require as much attention when you get on the board eg downlooping to keep it from falling out of the air.
The extra grunt of the extra m2 are only needed sub 9 knots (unless you are heavy maybe) and it won’t help that much since it would likely be a slower kite then the 13m decreasing the power differential.

If you aim to ride often on sub 9 knots I would highly recommend a big no strut or foilkite.

Not sure how cabrinha markets these kites but I assume the one struts are geared towards foiling and the bigger 3 struts towards twintips.
Thanks leeuwen! I am just thinking about the pros and cons of having a 11m 1 strut vs 13m 3 struts in light wind.
I assume that with twintip the 13m might be better, but how much better?
And for foiling, would the 11m one strut have the same low end as the heavier 13 3 struts? As you said, the 11m might be more the enough for me (72kg)

vitaum
Rare Poster

Postby vitaum » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:46 pm

Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:16 am
I have been riding the one strut Contras for a year now (200 sessions) I have 5,7,9 and 11. For a 64 kg rider the 9m is all I need using the Moses 633. I can keep the 9m in the air when it is not possible to ride so don't listen to the foil kite fans or think it has to be no strut. I have gone head to head against equal riders on the UFO and have seen no appreciable difference. For your weight definitely go with the 11m one strut. I also ride the 11m with a surfboard. I love my single strut Contras.
Thanks a lot man! What about the contra 11m compared to a 13m 3 struts with a twintip? Too bad?

Contrafoil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 66
Local Beach: Portland harbour/overcombe
Style: Foil, Twin tip, surf board
Gear: Cabrinha switchblades 11-9-7, Contra 1 strut 9-7-5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Contrafoil » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 pm

Kitetwin-1 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:16 am
Hi, i am in the same situation. i am 66kgs and fly 9m contra for light winds and i am looking at getting a 11m.
I am wary that the 11m because of its size won't have any advantage in 1 knots less then the 9m can handle. As you said the 9m will stay in the air even if i can't waterstart anymore.
Do you find that the 11m has an advantage over the 9m?

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:53 pm

Yeah bigger kite is nicer in light wind for sure. You can fly 12m one strut even if you can't waterstart anymore. Starting is different with slower kite, but I'd say you get more lowend for sure. When flying 9m you can loop the kite faster but sometimes there is just zero pull and you can't get on board. 12m does slower loops but can spike the power delivery more to get on board I think.. Also little line extensions help alot with the water start, and looping bigger kite delivers better power now. I sometimes wish I had a 17m+ kite for the lw days :D

Contrafoil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 66
Local Beach: Portland harbour/overcombe
Style: Foil, Twin tip, surf board
Gear: Cabrinha switchblades 11-9-7, Contra 1 strut 9-7-5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Contrafoil » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:00 pm

Turbaani wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:53 pm
Yeah bigger kite is nicer in light wind for sure. You can fly 12m one strut even if you can't waterstart anymore. Starting is different with slower kite, but I'd say you get more lowend for sure. When flying 9m you can loop the kite faster but sometimes there is just zero pull and you can't get on board. 12m does slower loops but can spike the power delivery more to get on board I think.. Also little line extensions help alot with the water start, and looping bigger kite delivers better power now. I sometimes wish I had a 17m+ kite for the lw days :D
I've got a 15m gong strutless you can have if you like... i hate it lol

Return to “Kitesurfing”