Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Forum for kitesurfers
fabkites
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 185
Local Beach: all over northern lake michigan
Style: freeride
Gear: Liquid Force v8 NV 7m, 9m, 12, Solo 15.5m
137 & 141 twin tip, 150 LF Leibre door
Brand Affiliation: None

how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby fabkites » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 am

I picked up a 2020 Reach 12 brand new in late April this year, after not even a handful of sessions on it, maybe 9 or 10 I was seeing the canopy full of white wrinkle lines. I just thought that was rather quick to happen, maybe its not a big deal really. By August I found a pin hole in the canopy, never has the kite been crashed and have always been careful where I land it and roll it up. over all quality of the kite feels good but I am surprised at how quickly the material is aging. Ive had other brand kites for way longer and more use not show as much age in a few years time.
not sure I wanna buy another North kite or not after this one. or is this normal?

Kitedicted
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Naish Pivot 2020 11m
Naish Pivot 2016 9m
Twintips: 138x41.5 & 133x39
Hydrofoil

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby Kitedicted » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 am

I have Naish kites both with the quad Tex and the single rip stop. The single rip stop kite got those lines after just a few sessions. After a year my quad Tex Naish has a little of those but overall looks more fresh. I have also seen 1 yr old north kites the canopy feels more worn

BE_Kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 94
Local Beach: Belgium - Heist - Anemos
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach
Style: Free
Gear: North Reach 13-11-9 2020

Postby BE_Kiter » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 am

Hi,

I'm flying the Reach 2020 11 and 13 and I have the same thing.
To start I have to say I like the kites a lot. North tried to make them as lite as possible and not compromise too much on features. The low-end is SUPER!

BUT; Let's say I did 20 sessions with each of them and the canopy's look like kites that have been jammed for over 3 seasons.
-Wrinkles everywhere
-Pinholes
-Saggy feeling, not crispy at all anymore
-They need to dry like forever

I even had them checked by a kite repair shop and he could not believe that kites were only 1 year old.
Following RealWatersports It uses Teijin TechnoForce D2 canopy material and TechnoForce 160gsm Dacron for LE. But I'm not sure if the LE is really 160gr Dracon. It feels 5 times softer than my other kites
Also the canopy material is somehow different.

What I do: clean them with non salty water, get them as dry as possible and put them clean in the bag.

Anyway, that's the reason I will move to the Orbits and combine them with a Carve!
I have already a 9 2021
-Very stable, controllable
-Stronger, feels as a rock
-High end

Cons
-Wind range
-Low end

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: XR6 8m & 11m
NHP Carbon Split 142
Zeeko Blaster + Fone Pocket V3 board 145cm

Postby SolarSet » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:30 am

BE_Kiter wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 am
Hi,

I'm flying the Reach 2020 11 and 13 and I have the same thing.
To start I have to say I like the kites a lot. North tried to make them as lite as possible and not compromise too much on features. The low-end is SUPER!

BUT; Let's say I did 20 sessions with each of them and the canopy's look like kites that have been jammed for over 3 seasons.
-Wrinkles everywhere
-Pinholes
-Saggy feeling, not crispy at all anymore
-They need to dry like forever

I even had them checked by a kite repair shop and he could not believe that kites were only 1 year old.
Following RealWatersports It uses Teijin TechnoForce D2 canopy material and TechnoForce 160gsm Dacron for LE. But I'm not sure if the LE is really 160gr Dracon. It feels 5 times softer than my other kites
Also the canopy material is somehow different.

What I do: clean them with non salty water, get them as dry as possible and put them clean in the bag.

Anyway, that's the reason I will move to the Orbits and combine them with a Carve!
I have already a 9 2021
-Very stable, controllable
-Stronger, feels as a rock
-High end

Cons
-Wind range
-Low end
You are not worried newer Orbit will suffer same wear as your Reach?

BE_Kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 94
Local Beach: Belgium - Heist - Anemos
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach
Style: Free
Gear: North Reach 13-11-9 2020

Postby BE_Kiter » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 am

SolarSet wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:30 am
You are not worried newer Orbit will suffer same wear as your Reach?
No, the materials used are noticeable different.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am

That is depressing. Definitely shouldn't be like this. Pin holes can be a bit random, but the other stuff isn't good.

My Enduros are over 3 years old now and except for parts of the leading edge on the 12m looks a bit "greyish" rather than pure black - you almost couldn't tell they aren't close to brand new. The 9m I'm honestly not sure anyone could tell if it has been used 1 or 50 times. So except for not being completely airtight any longer they are holding up excellently - and nothing close to what you are describing with the Reach.

Pana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises.
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Silver Sands, Paracuru
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1&2; 6-7-8-9-10
Ocean Rodeo Aluula Roam 12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT 138x38/ 140x40/ 143X42.5/ 153 X 43
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:12 pm

From what i have observed most of the white lines happen in the trailing edge area on kites. To my understanding the cause of this is the flapping. The design, the way the kite are ridden, how long they are left to flab on the beach are the critical points. You canot adjust the design or material choices but personaly i aimed at adjusting my line tension when crossing the power zone while wave riding to keeps a bit of pressure to limit the flapping as without tension it flapped much more. As uv degradation is also a main concern we all know it is best to just leave your kites as litle as possible siting on the beach unused, but that appears to be easily forgotten.

I don’t know about you, but if i felt i had issues with quality of construction I would start trying other brands.

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 am
I have Naish kites both with the quad Tex and the single rip stop. The single rip stop kite got those lines after just a few sessions. After a year my quad Tex Naish has a little of those but overall looks more fresh. I have also seen 1 yr old north kites the canopy feels more worn
Same for me my 2 2017 Boxer Quadtex have a ton of use and no wrinkle marks. I have seen them appear on other kites in a few months. One big factor here is if you leave your kite on the beach flapping in the wind for hours that will accelerate the stretch marks. In flight the canopy is loaded but flapping on the beach is very bad. I have seen those marks appear after kites were left for hours flapping on the beach.

fabkites
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 185
Local Beach: all over northern lake michigan
Style: freeride
Gear: Liquid Force v8 NV 7m, 9m, 12, Solo 15.5m
137 & 141 twin tip, 150 LF Leibre door

Postby fabkites » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:06 pm

I have only had so many sessions, 1 summer in michigan and 3 weeks in OBX. very limited summer kiting with no wind in MI, really have not spent much time inflated on the beach. I was really looking forward to flying North kites and I do like the way the Reach flies but if its not gonna last 3 years or keep any resale value at all I will move on to another brand. I was on Liquid Force before and my 2017s canopies do not look this bad. Just picked up a 21 15m Contra, ill be curious to see how it compares.

maybe North will change the fabric to something more durable/lasting in the future?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:43 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:57 am
That is depressing. Definitely shouldn't be like this. Pin holes can be a bit random, but the other stuff isn't good.

My Enduros are over 3 years old now and except for parts of the leading edge on the 12m looks a bit "greyish" rather than pure black - you almost couldn't tell they aren't close to brand new. The 9m I'm honestly not sure anyone could tell if it has been used 1 or 50 times. So except for not being completely airtight any longer they are holding up excellently - and nothing close to what you are describing with the Reach.
My Enduros V2's are also in great condition and completely airtight. The 12m is 4 years old and the 7m/9m are one year old. Had 6/8/10m but a year ago sold them to buy 7/9m which works better for me. The 6/8/10m were in perfect condition when they were sold. I look after my gear.

Return to “Kitesurfing”