Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

King of the Air 2021 - all info here (Marc Jacobs wins!)

Forum for kitesurfers
SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: King of the Air 2021 - all info here (Marc Jacobs wins!)

Postby SMJ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Havre wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:40 am
Which brings us back to - why would he when he got a 9.4 without it?

I honestly think he would have won if he hadn't gotten such a high score on the first day. Like Giel he would have adjusted. When you get a 9.4 the first day there really isn't much point in trying to change things.
Toby wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:50 pm
Frank82 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 am
Uh no, he did more rotations and boards offs with very high loops without any pull. The loops in this short clip are proper megaloops with lots of pull.
But more technical. More innovative. For me that counts more. If I were judge, my results would differ. Not in the final though, nothing to complain here.

Amen to Havre and Toby. Agree 100% with their points here.

It seemed like the judges criteria changed from Day 1 to Day 2. And that's just wrong.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
Havre (Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:34 pm

Yes, changing criteria is bad. Sounds like some riders were influencing judges to focus on different criteria...wouldn't be the first time.

That said, I don't want to be judge. Judged before too, small event, very tough and person likings can get you quickly...

So overall the judges did a good job. Looking at the result who won, I think it went well.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Frank82 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:56 am

I agree that the judging criteria changed between the 1st and 2nd day which is a bad thing. As for what should score higher, that purely depends on the judging criteria. I do think the judges got told to reward extremity more and additional rotations less, the question is if this has been communicated to the riders at the start of day 2?
As this is a red bull event I personally would like to see extremity being rewarded, high risk and lots of power as in most red bull events (megaloop, bike, moto, etc.), technical aspects are also important but can't exist without extremity.
Another way of approaching it is having trick categories in which riders can score: megaloop (with technical variety), straight jump (with technical variety), handle-pass (must include height, although very risky and technical they look ugly when dangling, I only liked the kiteloop HP's Hadlow did).

Return to “Kitesurfing”