Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

King of the Air 2021 - all info here (Marc Jacobs wins!)

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: King of the Air 2021 - all info here (Marc Jacobs wins!)

Postby POACHER » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:41 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:38 am
Another sad thing is that people think Marc won because he is sponsored by North.

Few years ago advancing to the next round was stolen from him…he did a new trick no one pulled before and wasn’t awarded for it.

Now he showed amazing riding, big variety, technical, height, and extremity. His Megaloop where his kite almost stalled was the most extreme of the event, big wow there!

Well earned and at 32 showing the youngster that the older still can rock.

All riders where amazing, and looking forward to 2022!
One also has to wonder how much better he would have done in years prior riding for a different brand...
(Switch)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:52 pm

true!
And..imagine the wind comes from the right, instead of left...his favorite side is still right foot forward !

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 pm

ARK wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:42 am
Toby wrote:
Another sad thing is that people think Marc won because he is sponsored by North.

Few years ago advancing to the next round was stolen from him…he did a new trick no one pulled before and wasn’t awarded for it.

Now he showed amazing riding, big variety, technical, height, and extremity. His Megaloop where his kite almost stalled was the most extreme of the event, big wow there!

Toby, what did you think of the Marc podcast?? its unreal how focused he was and also talks about those days when he wasn't getting award for the tricks
I did. Amazing the effort and focus he put into this one event.

I do hope he will also ride the BAKL ... would be great to see him pushing it further with the youngsters!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:07 pm

rafd wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 am
Interesting that Marc was only on a 138x41 board at 87kg
Most big air riders tend to ride slightly smaller boards than what you typically see in normal freeriding. Big Air boards are built for speed/power in overpowered conditions, so you don't need the same size, not to mention it's easier to hold down a smaller board.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:45 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am
Amen...It was about time for Marc to get rewarded. Fully agree with above!

This year I think Janek should have ended up higher as well...that round with Joshua did not make any sense (how could he have gotten a bigger variety score)
It's not actually a variety score. From the website:

"The fourth score (unique score) for overall impression of the entire performance will be given at the end of the heat, this score will be determined by considering a combination of different factors such as: variety / technical difficulty / style / execution / risk / show / innovation, this will be added to the total score (and could make the difference)"

So in my view for Josh v Janek:
Variety - Winner: Janek. Pretty obvious. Josh essentially did two tricks.
Technical difficulty - Winner: Josh. Janek's tricks are more difficult on the surface, but Josh's are astronomically harder with his loops vs Janek's.
Style - Winner: Janek. I prefer Josh's maniacal style, but I think most people like Janek's super smooth rotations. They do look cool.
Execution - Winner: Tie. Josh pulled off more extreme tricks with really hot landings while Janek was smoother (although a little wobbly a couple times).
Risk - Winner: Josh (huge margin). His tricks are so much more risky with his aggressive loops. You could argue this should be included in the extremity score as part of the trick though.
Show - Winner: Josh (slim margin). It depends on what people want to watch. In an event, I much prefer Josh's energy, speed, and general antics. It fires me up and adds to a crowd's involvement. If I'm watching youtube videos at home, I much prefer Janek's lazy rotations.
Innovation - Winner: Janek. Josh did do a psycho loop late back, which I believe is a competition first, but I doubt I could convince anyone Janek isn't pushing the sport with his new stuff.

So, for me this is a tie with an edge to Josh. Other people would obviously score differently, but because it's an "impression" score and I much prefer extremity in loops over endless rotations, that's how I would score. The official judges gave a 7.84 v 7.52 in Josh's favour, so pretty much along the lines of my thinking. (I have no idea how the judges actually score, this is just how I interpret the above criteria).

At the end of the day, it's entirely subjective. Most audiences (especially non-kiters) would prefer a straight Airstyle comp rather than this looping stuff. Toby comments about this in one of his videos (Airstyle vs Freestyle, but the principle is the same). It's just easier to watch. Most people won't understand a simple trick with a low megaloop is harder to do than a more complex one with a high kiteloop.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 am) • Gestalt (Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 am

Toby wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 pm
ARK wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:42 am
Toby wrote:

Toby, what did you think of the Marc podcast?? its unreal how focused he was and also talks about those days when he wasn't getting award for the tricks
I did. Amazing the effort and focus he put into this one event.

I do hope he will also ride the BAKL ... would be great to see him pushing it further with the youngsters!
Yeah you have been calling him favorite for a few years, Due to the situation back home I think he will have to return to NZ for the BAKL event in CT

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SMJ » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 am

I'll just leave this here. Worth a 2nd look.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 am

Strekke wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:16 pm
andylc wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:04 pm
I fail to see how Janek got knocked out by Josh Emmanuel.
Was on the beach and completely agree. Janek deserved podium at least! He went massive and did tricks people didn't even understand what or how. Full control, superb style. He was even better than Kevin and Nick's heat that came after, and they got more wind. Janek would have killed it even more if he had had proper winds... Joshua threw is regular aggressive boogy loops, but nothing new, while Janek was a wizard pulling one crazy trick after the other. Everyone on the beach was surprised.
Agree with this assessment 100%.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Blackened wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:22 am
SMJ wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 pm
Bill C wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:19 pm
Not that I care that much, but how come Core can't put one of their riders in the top finishers?
Janek won the event and Liam came in a close second. Unfortunately, all of the judges appear to be in the Sponsor's pocket.
When Janek learns how to megaloop, he'll win. That's assuming he can still do half his tricks with a proper loop. Josh will win when they hold the comp in 50kn.
SMJ wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 pm
Take a look at who sponsored the event last year and this year...then take a look at who won the events last year and this year.
Guess someone forgot to tell the judges about Porsche/Duotone sponsorship. Whoops!

Jesse was the best rider last year. I don't know who else you could even consider winning. All the riders feared him from the start of the comp and considered him the person to beat. Marc was the best rider this year. Liam was a very close second, but Marc was a more complete rider with the addition of his contras.
One thing that appears to have been highlighted was that stronger lighter what ever doesn’t suddenly make the kites perform better than the ordinary material old ones made of like the orbit especially for the ridiculous price hikes some of these companies charging.

SMJ
Frequent Poster

Postby SMJ » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm
One thing that appears to have been highlighted was that stronger lighter what ever doesn’t suddenly make the kites perform better than the ordinary material old ones made of like the orbit especially for the ridiculous price hikes some of these companies charging.
North has been making the Orbit lighter every year. Here are a couple videos:

2021 lighter than 2020:

2022 lighter than 2021:

Return to “Kitesurfing”