Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Patagonia R series Yulex durability issues

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Patagonia R series Yulex durability issues

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:34 pm

I currently have an O'Neill Psycho Freak that after years of use and abuse is starting need replacing. I was thinking of trying the Patagonia R5 but have read about some quality issues over the past year. Thoughts?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Patagonia R series Yulex durability issues

Postby leeuwen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:49 am

Good luck finding one.
I own an R4 and I wanted to add an R5 this winter but the dealer isn't getting any R5 stock because of production issues (lack of resources).

In regards to my R4: I have used it extensively for about a year now (probably 60+ sessions).
So far its good. It is still pretty much fully water tight. No water entry around the cuffs/hood/legs. (Note that I am only foiling so I don’t have water shooting up my legs like you sometimes get on a twintip, plenty of immersion though when falling of the foil)
I do think it has become very slightly colder due to compression of the neoprene over time but maybe I am just not used to the lower temps of the upcoming winter times (afaik all wetsuits suffer from getting a bit colder so it not really specific to this one).

Due to lack of availability of the R5 and because I am staying pretty dry anyway I have started adding additional layers underneath now.
That seems to work ok for me.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:01 pm

Also in the market.

My R4 is going on 7 years now. Just had to glue the first spot last week. The suit is in remarkable condition considering how much use and abuse it’s seen. The external liquid seams are breaking and pealing up pretty much everywhere, but up until this season the suit has remained water tight. Not as warms as the first couple years, but a still a great suit.

Wonder when the wetsuit market stock will start to fill in again?

The Patagonia has been my best suit ever and now I want an R5.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:34 pm

When I ordered my R4 last year I was considering an R5.
Last year they did not have my size in R5 and the dealer then said they only get new stock once a year. So I got the R4.

I did order and pay for an R5 this year in early September but the shop game back to me end of October they won’t be getting any R5 inventory (they did get R4) and they gave me a refund. They also did not mention when there could be stock again so it’s probably quite some time away.
Based on the Patagonia website it seems there might be a few R5 stock left of last year in specific sizes so I would check that ASAP.

dswebb
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch Nitro 3 12m
Switch Nitro 6 8m
Switch Element 2 5m
Has thanked: 0

Postby dswebb » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:00 pm

I've had 3 generations of the Yulex suit and the only one I've had any issues with was the first generation. Ever since then though they've been rock solid. Had a 2nd generation R3, the only reason I ended up selling up was I wanted a suit that could last deeper into the UK winter. It was still in pretty good nick for having been used across a number of seasons. Have had an R4 now for the last year and it's as good as new still. Is plenty warm enough for me through most of the UK winter (I don't really go out below 5c these days anyways).

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:01 pm

I own R1/2 /3/4/5 (myself and my son are the same size and kite from freezing to warm)
All bought in Spring 2019
All excellent suits - we did have an issue where the R2 liquid seams cracked prematurely and began to leak extensively despite lighter use, but Patagonia took care of us and repaired it under warranty (even though we had owned it for 18 months). It is now fully water tight like a new suit.
I can’t speak to other brands warranty, but wetsuit wearhouse also told me that Patagonia have the best warranty- worked out for me.
I would confidently buy Patagonia again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”