Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is your cold water red line, measured in Celsius?

Forum for kitesurfers
drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is your cold water red line, measured in Celsius?

Postby drone » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:00 am

3 C are comfort zone. I don't kite below 0 C.
Need best wetsuit & Windstopper and you fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMhq1J6HdC8 ... =copy_link

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 am

General 10degree celcius rule, is comfortable in standard wetsuit etc. Under 10 is ok but you need the right kit, under 7 degrees becomes painful with wetsuit, gloves etc. The comments about the sun being out are very true, it can just take that edge off a bit.

leeuwen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses Onda / Groove Skate
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:01 am

Now that I moved to foiling it find it a lot harder to keep warm during the session.
But last year is still went out as long as the water and air are above freezing.
I use an R4 patagonia (although it is wetsuit I stay dry in it) + windstopper + 6mm boots and open palm mitts (I hate the lack of feeling of closed gloves/mitts).
Sessions do become a lot shorter in cold conditions though.
Usually just 1 to 1.5 hours and then I quit. I am not really cold yet at that point but I want a healthy margin in case there is a problem and I need to swim.
For "unlimited" time on the water I would need somewhere between 10-15 combined degrees but it depends a lot on factors like sun and windspeed.

Pro tip: change into your wetsuit at home. This way you don't cool down during change of gear.

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: XR6 8m & 11m
NHP Carbon Split 142
Zeeko Blaster + Fone Pocket V3 board 145cm

Postby SolarSet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:08 am

Pro tip: try dry suit, with all body warm and dry you can use thinner gloves, you can drive to spot with dry suit one and taking it off is way easier than thick wetsuit

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:13 am

Extremely individual.

80F/10C water+air temp.
To make it simpler, lets say it is equal, so 40/40 or 4½/4½ degree.

For me it is a yellow line, and where I start wearing boots, when it gets around 5 degree air and water.
Most change when it is 10 degree air and water, and some even take gloves and hoodie.
I have even seen some very cold hearted starting with booties before 10 degree :wink:

The red line for me is around 0 degree water (it can not get any colder...) and air maybe 5 below zero - when the bar and lines will start to get heavily iced up, but now we are talking full winter suit usually - although, on occasion without hood as I hate these.
But I know now, that I am a Viking and at one end of the spectre.

So as it can be seen, extremely individual where you change to booties and maybe even gloves or even a hood.
Most surfers have the same body structure meaning fat percent and so on.
But still very different how easy you get cold.

I hate booties, and it is not surfing for me eventhough thin "barefoot feel" ones, so now it is more a winter passtime on the water, and looking forward to spring :rollgrin:

Girls in general get cold on the extremeties faster than guys, it is a fact in order to survive and keep babies warm, they use all energy on the core temperature and it gets lower on the extremeties.
Also, some guys have the same "easily cold" tendency.

One can train/practice to keep warm when cold, but that is another discussion.

edt is correct though, sun makes a huge difference, it is not only psychologically.

8) Peter

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:32 am

6C is about my minimum but the water temperature is pretty warm here compared to most places.

My personal experience is that a drysuit isn't that much more effective than a wetsuit on the water - but you don't get cold on the land (inbetween sessions or packing down at the end) in a drysuit.

leeuwen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses Onda / Groove Skate
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:58 am

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:08 am
Pro tip: try dry suit, with all body warm and dry you can use thinner gloves, you can drive to spot with dry suit one and taking it off is way easier than thick wetsuit
I am not convinced by drysuit vs a proper wetsuit (I used both).

As said, I pretty much stay dry in my "wetsuit" anyway and temperature wise it doesn't seem to make a huge difference in my experience.
However:
Swimming in a drysuit can be troublesome (probably depends on make/model and exact fit).
I also had a nasty crash on my foil that resulted in a big cut through 5mm of neoprene on my leg.
If that would have been a drysuit I would have been in a world of trouble, now I was just surprised at the little cold patch on my leg.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:35 pm

The lowest I went in was 6 celsius, no sun, 5mm wetsuit. I was pretty fine, although feet went a lil bit cold, I was wearing 5mm booties. Was a bit chilly on the back at the zipper, but not that noticable. Red line for me would probably be 4 degrees of air temp.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:45 pm

I don't know how Peter can go so low! Especially in a wind sport. I have suffered frostnip to portions of my exposed cheeks and the tip of my nose before. Something I am loath to repeat so am rather cautious now. 6 degrees air temp seems to be where I find the fun can begin. Below that and I'm mitigating what I do enough to crimp the fun significantly. Above that and I can ride much as usual. Water temp depends on your suit, and I agree, its harder to keep temps up while foiling compared to other boards. The combination of always being wet and additional height with less muscular effort required make it easier to feel the windchill.

I have an aging Patagonia R4 that has been money for me. I ride in shoes year round, but will add neo socks pretty early in the fall. Then the hood goes up at about 10 degrees and the gloves only come out for the last few sessions of the year (6-9) degrees depending on air and sun.

Sun is a huge factor as is any damp weather. On a sunny November day it can get up to 10 degrees air temp and then it almost doesn't matter to the fun how cold the water is. It still matters for the safety margin, so sessions get less adventurous and I stay much closer to shore.

Have tried all manner of suit gloves, mitts, booties etc and of course its personal. Have found a bomber warm suit to be the most important piece. Drysuits are that, but the lack of swimability is a deal breaker for me. Find the ease of getting into the really warm wetsuits negates the drysuit dressing argument as I find drysuits every bit as time consuming. Now I dress at home for the margins of the seasons. Have simple over clothes to pop on as soon as I'm out of the water and drive home in that (short dirves).
A super warm suit allows for 3mm gloves and socks and I ride until I start to feel it in the fingers and toes. That's usually at least an hour.

Will be waiting for wetsuit stock to replenish and likely upgrade to an R5 when they someday return.

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4: 4/5/8/11m
Dwarfcraft 4'6 Gong X-over foil

Postby ieism » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:50 pm

Who cares, its snowboard season now! :lol:

I'm too soft, I ride in 8 degrees and that's it. I have a 6mm wetsuit and also a drysuit, it's just not my thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”