Forum for kitesurfers
JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kenya in Dec/Jan

Postby JamesVegas » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 pm

Hello all. I'm looking to get away for a few weeks at the end of December. I'm looking at Diani beach. Has anyone visited who might be able to offer some info please?

Thanks!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Kenya in Dec/Jan

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:02 pm

I haven't been myself, but a friend of mine has. We went to Zanzibar together and he said it was quite similar. If so most days are somewhere around 15 knots. Going to 20 on the better days.

I believe in Zanzibar the wind gets better towards the middle of January rather than the beginning. Not sure if that is true all years though - and neither am I sure how Diani compares in that regard.

Looks really beautiful, so if I had been certain that one would get good wind I would definitely go at some point myself. Zanzibar was nice as well (good days were really good), but only so many days in a row it is fun mowing the lawn with a 17m.

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JamesVegas » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Thanks Havre. I have been to Zanzibar, amazing place but a little fickle on the wind front. I'd happily go back though now I've got a lightwind set up. If Kenya is 15-20 everyday that would be bloody perfect!

jyka
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:55 pm

We were in Diani 2020 Jan/Feb for 10 days. I had 13m chrono and 1-2 days it was good with a twintip. All the other days just foiling winds. I would not go there without a foil board..

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm

We only had 2.5 days with zero wind in Zanzibar, but half of the days with wind were more or less bang on 15 knots +-. Rideable because the conditions are quite flat (very flat at times depending on the tide), but with a TT there isn't much you can do with 15 knots. Or at least not with my LEIs - maybe with a foil kite (strangely enough, I don't think I saw a single foil there).

Based on jyka and my friend I think you can expect to have quite a few lightwind days at least. Even if you can never know. Not many places you know you will get good wind that time of year though. South Africa might be the closest - but I have been there as well without that many days of wind.

rafd
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby rafd » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:01 pm

From what I gather Watamu has more wind than Diani. I've been twice in Feb and was able to kite every day on a 12m or 10m on a few stronger days.

Brian H
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:58 am

I went to Diani beach at the end of Dec and kites every day for 10 days mostly on a 12m . We stay at one of the nicest hotels but it was very tidal , some days you couldn’t kite in the morning and some days the afternoon.

Return to “Kitesurfing”