Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Forum for kitesurfers
Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18-12-9-6m Flysurfer Soul + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby Nem0 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:56 pm

I use the Flysurfer pice.
In the past I also had this one…
https://www.segelservice.com/Ronstan-SH ... 6EQAvD_BwE

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Woolgoogha
Style: Freeride + Wave
Gear: 2018 LF NV's & Flysurfer SOUL, Reedin Dreamstick X, Cabrinha Tronic & Chopstick, North Pro Whip

Re: R

Postby Kite Dependent » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 pm
1 inch nylon block. description of nylon block starts at 1 minute

There is very little wear from using the QR I think the real reason for the wear is that the lines above the V twist and rub together or at least that's what I have found. You might use the QR 5 or 6 times a month but the lines will twist together hundreds of times. The nylon block I suggest might have less wear might have more, but it's simple, works great and costs about $1 to build just get some nylon and drill some holes. If you can't source nylon a 1 inch aluminum block also works but it's heavier.

The ozone v is annoying because you need the stupid red ball

that one is my 4 and 5 line version

I bought a $10 block of nylon and have made 6 control bar V's out of it so far, still have some nylon left.
Thanks edt, nice video btw.

You do highlight how much cheaper we could all be kiting with home made bars. Guess I'm feeling there is elements of a manufactures bar I'm prepared to pay an inflated price for as I could not produce a nice padded bar ends myself for example. I have made a custom bar from various other bar parts I like for use with my Flysurfer SOUL, I found the process of constructing the bar very rewarding... so get where your coming from. You are next level with that though :-)

I do still think the wear below on the Reedin block is from a rope burn effect when hitting the QR, just in the first meter or so of travel. Once that wear has been caused (the ruff edges) its just time and use (me doing load of jumps) that has eaten into the front line. Maybe the Reedin block is ok and it's more a question of line quality?
Screenshot at Nov 25 09-38-10.png
Screenshot at Nov 25 09-38-10.png (101.09 KiB) Viewed 289 times

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Duotone Juice 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Re: What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby andylc » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:55 pm

I just got a Dreamstick X and the Duotone V Splitter works perfectly.
Sorry I’m getting confused I’m thinking about converting it to a high V split.

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster
Gear: 2018 LF NV's & Flysurfer SOUL, Reedin Dreamstick X, Cabrinha Tronic & Chopstick, North Pro Whip

Postby Kite Dependent » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 am

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 pm
That is very simple part. Plastic is ok for material because it has low friction and it is strong enough. Ozone part is obviously of high quality but you have to pull through other front line - but ok it is not a big deal and it is completely reliable way to do it. I don't see any relevance of in which direction depower line goes through the block and also plastic stopper ball should work just fine. Too tight radius of depower line in block isn't good though.

If lines wear out too fast there is too sharp corner in that part. Should be quite easy to make it rounder with some tool. After years of use it is normal that lines wear out at the loop. Fix is to make new loops in front lines and adjust back lines respectively, or make new loops for them as well.

QR action is not the cause of wear
Hi Kitexpert, Yep... you make a good point, perhaps is more related to how sharp the edge is in the Reedin block. I could just smooth in out with a Dremel tool so its more smooth like the top of the Ronstan stopper ball below.
Screenshot at Nov 25 09-50-12.png
Screenshot at Nov 25 09-50-12.png (173.52 KiB) Viewed 280 times
The hole the front line goes through in the Reed block is a 3mm diameter, have seen that Ronstan make a 16mm stopper ball with a 4mm hole in it, this might work well with the Ozone bracket if I go down that route.

Totally agree, kiting is hard on the equipment, no way round that. Repairs will nee to be made over time for sure. Just after 100days from purchase is a bit much in my book. I would need to shorten/repair front lines twice a year! Maybe its part of there plan to get us all doing short line kite loops weather we want to or not ;-)

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster

Postby Kite Dependent » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:04 am

andylc wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:55 pm
I just got a Dreamstick X and the Duotone V Splitter works perfectly.
Sorry I’m getting confused I’m thinking about converting it to a high V split.
I'd be interested to hear how your lines fair over time with the adjustable Duotone V splitter. At the point its clamped?

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster

Postby Kite Dependent » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 am

trendab wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:53 am
My favorite https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/21-safet ... -ring.html
Thats awesome! Absolutely nowhere for sand to get jammed in and easy to inspect.

Depower rope though?
May reduce line auto rotation effect that is a bit part of what make the Dreamstick X so good.... hummm

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster

Postby Kite Dependent » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:12 am

ArneB wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 pm
This the best one I could find

https://www.versusshop.nl/shop/product/ ... 4579#attr=
Now this I like too! Thanks

Screenshot at Nov 25 10-11-31.png
Screenshot at Nov 25 10-11-31.png (168.88 KiB) Viewed 273 times

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: R

Postby edt » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:32 am

Kite Dependent wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 pm
You do highlight how much cheaper we could all be kiting with home made bars.
I'm not so sure it's cheaper. You still have to buy lines and the QR itself is really expensive now. So for instance, the QR will run anywhere from $100 to $200, then the lines, which I like to make myself run me about 33 cents a foot so that's over $100 for the lines but typically it will cost more because you end up buying more than you need and can't use the rest, so about $150 for lines, then the chicken leaders run about $1 a foot, you want again more than you need to build a bar because if you get less and it turns out your splice adds more requirement for length than you thought, then it's a disaster, so count on $20 for the chicken line, then $20 for the leaders another $100 for assorted o-rings, cleats, tape to regrip the bar and it totals out to about $440.

It's best just to buy a control bar with a QR you like, then later mod the bar as you like. If you can get the control bar used you also can part it up and that's nice. The best thing about a home made bar is that you get rid of these incredibly annoying problems like that wear you that have described, so you know your control bar works 100% of the time every time.

I think most of us who build bars end up doing it because we get to pick and choose exactly which components we like and usually we don't skimp on the quality of the components because then what's the point?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:37 am

kitexpert wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 pm
That is very simple part. Plastic is ok for material because it has low friction and it is strong enough. Ozone part is obviously of high quality but you have to pull through other front line - but ok it is not a big deal and it is completely reliable way to do it. I don't see any relevance of in which direction depower line goes through the block and also plastic stopper ball should work just fine. Too tight radius of depower line in block isn't good though.

If lines wear out too fast there is too sharp corner in that part. Should be quite easy to make it rounder with some tool. After years of use it is normal that lines wear out at the loop. Fix is to make new loops in front lines and adjust back lines respectively, or make new loops for them as well.

QR action is not the cause of wear
pretty much agree with everything here

Wolkster
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:25 am

Best way to remove the sharp edges for anything that a line runs though is this abrasive cord.
Many different diameters and grits to choose from.

Return to “Kitesurfing”