Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Open palm mittens

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm

So it's reaching winter glove time here in the UK! What's the forums thoughts on open palm mittens eg. Mystic Star 3mm open palm mittens ? Currently using 3mm normal gloves but find they give a bit of forearm ache after 20mins on the water. Looking for a decent glove which grips the bar well, and minimises the forearm ache.

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2021-my ... 31722.html

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Open palm mittens

Postby edt » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:19 pm

dakine cold water wakesurf mitts are what you want. They aren't open palm but don't have any insulation in the grip. Great gloves and even though 2mm warmer than 3mm open palm. Unfortunately they have been discontinued but they were the best. I wish I had stocked up. Not sure who makes that style right now. The palm on these is just a thick sheet of rubber which has no resistance, the fingers are curled, never tire with those particular mitts. since they were discontinued so recently I'm sure there are a few laying around in shops that haven't been sold yet.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:30 pm

I bought the mystic open palm ones a couple of years ago and didnt like them. My favourit gloves where the np 3 finger 5mm preformed ones, but they are out of stock, so i bought prolimit 4mm preformed mitts, which are nice and warm and look like they will last longer, but i miss the free indicator to attach lines with gloves on. Other than that, i can recommend. Preformed and size up is a tip i got to prevent achey forearms.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:35 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:19 pm
dakine cold water wakesurf mitts are what you want. They aren't open palm but don't have any insulation in the grip. Great gloves and even though 2mm warmer than 3mm open palm. Unfortunately they have been discontinued but they were the best. I wish I had stocked up. Not sure who makes that style right now. The palm on these is just a thick sheet of rubber which has no resistance, the fingers are curled, never tire with those particular mitts. since they were discontinued so recently I'm sure there are a few laying around in shops that haven't been sold yet.
I think ProLimit has mitts which resemble your description.: https://www.prolimit.com/product/mitten ... rect-grip/

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:41 pm

I have the mystic open palm ones.
I love the concept and I will keep using open palm mitts BUT I found the quality/durability bad.
Basically they didn’t even last a full season.

Looking to get the pro limit ones this year. I heard they have ok durability.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:26 pm

How do you find using open palmed mitts ? are they noticeably colder than standard gloves ? Looking to use in the 5 to 10 dgrees range, UK waters.
these look quite good:
https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2021-pa ... lsrc=aw.ds

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:46 pm

I have used them close to freezing without my hands being the limiting factor. But it really depends partly on the person but also on the other gear you wear and how you prepare.

My Patagonia R4 is probably one of the better wetsuits and I also wear a wind breaker+impact vest.
I ride for about 1-1.5hours mid winter and get out of the water before I really cool down. (I want a healthy warmth margin in case I need to swim back for whatever reason)
I also change into my wetsuit at home so I don’t start my session cold.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:38 pm

The open palms are great for rigging lines and the convenience of being able to use your fingers when needed, however I don't think they're nearly as warm as closed mitt gloves.

My personal faves at the time are the NP 5mm 3-finger lobster mitts. These are great because they're super warm, allow you to split the bar with your index finger, and still allow you to rig your lines since the index finger is separate - however it's much more difficult rigging lines than with open palms. I recommend going one size bigger than you need to maximize circulation and also allow you to fit all 4 fingers into the 3-finger spot if you get cold.
https://www.neilpryde.com/products/armo ... r-mitt-5mm

So it depends of what you're looking for. If you want to be able to easily rig your lines without taking your mitts off then go for the open palms. If you want the ability to go in the coldest weather then go for the 3-finger pre-curved lobster mitts. And be sure to get pre-curved mitts which will alleviate the forearm ache; the NP mitts linked above have a pre-curve.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:07 pm

Yeah, NP Surf Lobster mitts are the best you'll get and I find the arm pump they give is about the same as open palm mitts.

I do also use the 2 mm open palm mitts from NP Surf and they are good, but if I'm using them it's usually with my fingers out of the mitt to avoid arm pump. Having the mitt cover the backs of your finger still provides a lot of warmth due to wind breaking and it gives you the security that if you have to swim you can put your fingers inside and then make a fist and keep most of the water out.

I tried a pair of the Dakine mitts and absolutely hated them. The cordura like palm material gives you shit dexterity and they aren't very warm. I can do 100% of rig and de-rig wearing my NP Surf Lobster mitts and go out in some pretty nasty stuff:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Dirk wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:35 pm
edt wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:19 pm
I think ProLimit has mitts which resemble your description.: https://www.prolimit.com/product/mitten ... rect-grip/
Awesome thank you. These are exactly like what I used to wear from dakine. Recently I've just been using 2mm gloves down to 0c but I've always liked the thin palm mittens

Open palm mitts are only good if you never crash. I'm always trying new tricks and crash a lot and the open palms flush water through your fingers. Also quite cold body dragging to get your board after you miss a board off

Return to “Kitesurfing”