Forum for kitesurfers
AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Open palm mittens

Postby AirConnolly » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm

Check out the Xcel Anti Gloves. They might be too thin, but it depends on the temps and your cold tolerance. For me they cover most days, but I don't have much desire to ride when its below freezing.

https://xcelwetsuits.com/collections/gl ... glove-fa20

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 pm

I use the mystic open palms and find them brilliant 👍

Highly recommended them.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 am

Open palms are great on borderline temperture days(around55f) but not if the water is frigid, like in the spring here in New England. They are really only to stop the wind chill and keep your hands warm from the moving air, but if you go down and need to swim your hands are going to freeze, with little to no protection from the open palm gloves..

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:30 am

matth wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 am
Open palms are great on border line temperture days(around55f) but not if the water is frigid, like in the spring here in New England. They are really only to stop the wind chill and keep your hands warm from the moving air, but if you go down and need to swim your hands are going to freeze, with little to no protection from the open palm gloves..
I agree. Open palm works well as a "windbreak" when you're up & riding, but they flush a lot of water around your fingers if you fall. I've been using 2mm Glacier gloves. They are quite "preformed" & I don't find they are fatiguing to the forearms. I also bought a larger pair that I can add liner gloves to, but haven't had to use them so far. I notice they have a more recent model which has an opening finger & thumb - that would be really useful for messing around with your lines. They're also really cheap compare to "specialized" kiting/windsurfing products. :thumb:

https://glacierglove.com/pro-angler/

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 am

matth wrote:
Open palms are great on borderline temperture days(around55f) but not if the water is frigid, like in the spring here in New England. They are really only to stop the wind chill and keep your hands warm from the moving air, but if you go down and need to swim your hands are going to freeze, with little to no protection from the open palm gloves..
Agreed. I don't bother with them anymore.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 am

Faxie wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 am
matth wrote:
Agree with above but..
If you add a rubber house cleaning vinger glove under the open palm mitts you will have much better protection :D

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Style: freeride
Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Janus wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 am
Faxie wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 am
matth wrote:
Agree with above but..
If you add a rubber house cleaning vinger glove under the open palm mitts you will have much better protection :D
tried the mittens because curved gloves were not available and returned them to the shop. I didnt feel any change in 5 degrees. Curved gloves are top, can kite 2 hours and feel great.no tiredness whatsoever

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:32 pm

I've used a couple generations of DaKine mittens, with the palms cut open. However, my latest favorite is a glove by Ride Engine. This RE glove has a lot of pre-curve in the fingers. So much bend that it makes it a bit of challenge to don, but all that finger pre-curve is the key to the hand NOT cramping. They are only 2mm thick, the palms being even thinner than that, but warmer than my 5mm open palm mittens and my hands don't cramp.
-Barry
Attachments
RE_Glove.png

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:11 pm

Dirk wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:35 pm

I think ProLimit has mitts which resemble your description.: https://www.prolimit.com/product/mitten ... rect-grip/
these are great! just used them today

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:23 pm

I use cheap Decathlon neoprene gloves, must be 2mm or so, and cut them out with sizors myself.

Works reasonably well for down to 5°C air and water temperature.

I may eventually try to combine with disposable latex gloves for some additional protection on very cold cloudy and super windy days.

Return to “Kitesurfing”