Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How loose footstaps should be on a TT?

Forum for kitesurfers
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How loose footstaps should be on a TT?

Postby sergei Scotland » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:35 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:11 pm
My straps will never hit my leg - even if they are set up very loosely. I think that will depend on the design of the straps and the anatomy of your foot as well.
The reason I think straps should touch the leg is that foot is effectively a wedge.
So if you put The foot into a strap and it has correct adustment when there is another 2 Inches to go than obviously next time you can potentially put it in 2 Inches deeper. Where it will obviously be too tight (as adustment was correct for different wedge posittion).
So my thinking is that if footstrap is adjusted to touch the leg then I would get repeatable foot insertion and repeatable adustment?
To say nothing of the fact that the higher the strap is the better connection to the board it probably provides (sport shoes have laces all the way to the leg while walking shoes or slippers dont....).
Luckily the Shinn HMT allow moving straps relevant to the base. so I was able to get my foot in exactly right posittion on the base. With the straps back enough - to touch my leg.
Will see if this works for me better next time... :D :D :D :thumb:
Feels good in my living room LOL

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:48 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:24 am
I have a maybe a nutty opinion with regards to foot straps,

But on a twin-tip, I like a flat pad with the foot strap inserts all right on the centerline.

I put the straps loose enough to easily slide my foot into, but tight enough that if I twist my foot to my preferred stance, I'm very well locked-in.

All these special-shaped footbeds with the super-wide strap that only works in one position.... Drive me totally nuts every time I have the chance to try them out.

My stance changes a bit in each direction; I like to have my front foot pointed more forward, and my back foot more perpendicular to the centerline of the board.
Thanks. This is my feel as well. I think I need this freedom to rotate my foot exactly like you describe. May be it does not mater that much for young folks. No way to rotate does not seem to to work for me either.
Shinn MHT despite having 2 plastic insert does actually allow some rotation for me as I have reasonably narrow feet. Plus if I keep toe strap loose the range of rotation becomes bigger too.
Plus the plastic inserts' angle to the board surface is not fixed and they can lean in and out (left and right) quit a bit.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 pm

S,

sounds like you are getting a better idea - medium not tight, not too loose just right at the goldilocks level. And YES, articulating your foot in the TT binding is totally correct, you will learn when and how to do this with time on the water. Generally, just put you foot in and when you feel your toes in the right spot you know you are there, assuming the bindings are mounted correctly - not too wide but a little ducky is good. Have fun out there and if you have a chance try riding various boards - amazing how BIG a difference it can make in size, shapes and especially the light carbon materials for a high end board.

Cheers!

Mc

:dance:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:31 am

Just get the duck correct and it will be fine. I ride boots half the time straps half the time. In boots you are locked in and as long as the duck is correct it will be very comfortable. For straps I ride them very loose for the board offs but you don't want the duck wrong and have to correct it by moving your feet in the straps. Set it correctly to begin with. A snow board also forces you to set the duck correctly. Nobody likes pain!

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 am

Had one session with straps position adjusted at max to hillside . Straps are basically touching my leg.Which does stop me from inserting foot too deep and too tight as a result. If I adjust straps correctly in this position - not too tight - then that's what I get consistently every time I insert my foot in now. Feels way safer. Before that I did lose one strap and was caught in the other couple if times. Not now.
I also kept my toeside velcro very loose. I can insert 2 fingers under this velcro easily.
This allowed more rotation when changing direction. But some control definitely lost. May be will try these toe velcros a bit tighter next time.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:30 pm

rnelias wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:00 am
Toby rides mostly on Cauipe, completely flat water. I don't think it would be possible to control the board very well with loose straps on bumpy water.
Except it is. We have only chop here and I have my straps just as loose as Toby to do Board offs. Also, how do you think they do these huge board offs in cape town where there is much chop and waves?

You all are overthinking straps way too much. There is only one requirement and that is that they are comfortable to you (which depends on foot shape and size). Try different straps and mounting positions until you feel comfortable. The most expensive straps are not necessarily the best. It took me 6 years to find my favorites and they cost 60 USD. Straps neither need to be tight nor do they need to "touch your leg" in order for you to control the board properly.

Keep working on improving your edging technique. Way more important.
Last edited by cor on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author cor for the post (total 2):
edt (Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:26 pm) • sergei Scotland (Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:47 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:45 pm

I also ride on the ocean which is very bumpy !
No problem!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 2):
cor (Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:24 pm) • sergei Scotland (Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:47 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”