Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Cabrinha kites 8m MOTO - 10m + 12m FX
Cabrinha XCAL Wood 2020
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best small kite for high winds

Postby Giasos » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Hello guys! Hope everyone stays well and healthy.

First post here and i would really like your thoughts on this one. My quiver at this time is an 8m MOTO (2019) and two FXs (2020) 10m and 12m.

I am really enjoyng my FXs but the moto not so much. I find it WAY to quick on bar movements (maybe its due to its smaller size) but my main issue is the lower end power of the kite . It goes fine when its nuking but when the wind drops a little bit, i find myself doing figure 8s in order to get some power.

I was looking on replacing the moto with either an FX 8 or maybe something more "stable" on higher winds. I would preferably be looking on the cabrinha line up.

I would really appreciate your inputs :)

Jason

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Best small kite for high winds

Postby Trent hink » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm

Have you thought about getting a smaller control bar?

The correct size for your 12 meter is probably too big for your 8.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:58 pm

In my opinion smaller bar isn’t really doing that much.
A kite that feels to fast will keep being a very fast kite and that few cms of bar length isn’t doing much unless you are an oaf with the control bar.

I guess the switchblade would be one of the slower kites in the cabrinha line up. It is probably also a kite with a bigger useable wind range.

P.S.
I used to hate small kites on the twintip because I only used them occasionally and found them twitchy.
Now that I am mostly foiling I start to love small quick kites and hate the big kites. So I guess kite speed is also something you can get accustomed to with enough exposure.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:14 am

I have found that that small bar makes a big difference to me. And I agree switchblade is a slower kite with great wind range .

adjusting pigtails to more bar pressure helps tracking too

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:02 am

Try the Switchblade. It has 5 struts and is known for stability and low end. I'd have to ride them back to back to be sure but I suspect an 8M Switchblade will have better low end than a 8M Moto and even a 8M FX.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 am

Was a Cabrinha rider for years, so perhaps a few tips:

1. Switch to a smaller bar when flying your smaller kites. Nothing bigger than a 44cm for the 8m.
2. Put the MOTO on the "B" setting on the wingtips - further from the wingtip. This will slow it up. I flew all my Cabs 10m and smaller on the "B" setting, and this made a big difference.
3. The Switchblade (as several have mentioned above) is an outstanding kite it high winds. The Switchblade also has more low end than the MOTO.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:24 am

You do not mention your weight. Small kites must be relatively powerfull for heavyer riders as most wave kites just feel twitchy and you can actually stall them. I use the same bar from 14 to 7 m but on 8 & 7 use the least fast position on the wing tips. Perso i hate small 5 strut kites, to me it just does not make sense. I ride ozone enduros that have a bridal adjustment from wave to freeride and use both modes. Unless there are real waves use the more powerfull freeride setting as i weigh 200 pound and prefer the torque.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:01 am

I'm the opposite from Pana. I like small 5 strut kites because they generally have a design that slows down the handling. I can ride my 10m foil kite one session and then my 7m LEI the next session and feel in control and happy to perform the same tricks rather than the handling feeling super twitchy.

I quite like flying my small kite at the bottom end of the wind range too every now and again - because you can't jump that high but the kite loops nice and fast. Always nice to have a backup that's fun in case the wind dies down mid session and it always puts a smile on my face.

Giasos
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha kites 8m MOTO - 10m + 12m FX
Cabrinha XCAL Wood 2020
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Giasos » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:46 am

Thank you all for your feedback.

I will try the B setting but isn't that going to reduce even more the low end power of the kite?

My bar is actually quite small (44cm) so it should be fine with an 8m kite.

I have tried the SB (10m-2018) and i liked it for its stability but it did not cover my needs because i wanted to join the freestyle side of the sport (unhooked also).

The thing is though, that high winds and freestyle is not a great combo so maybe the SB might be a good idea for the smaller kite of the quiver. I do remember that it had too much grunt and bar pressure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”