Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Re: Kitesurfing spots in South Florida East Coast

Postby dracop » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Yes

IKO certification is done by an IKO instructor observing you successfully complete a task. Its not rocket science and any experienced kiter should be able to do it with barely a thought. Usually the only issues Ive run into over the years are kiters lying a out their experience level, inability to body drag upwind, and actual kiters who were never taught a self rescue.

Its amazing how many instructors elsewhere will cut corners on safety and body dragging upwind. If they learned by a friend they almost never get taught these things.

To be fair most riders getting certified want to rent gear and thats usually the first sign they are probably not experienced kiters as the daily rental rates are so high relative to just bringing your own. In S Florida the usage of the concession model means you need it just to ride at Crandon Park which is a great spot but regulated.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post:
Topaz (Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Topaz » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks! But what is exactly 'Self Rescue' for IKO. Using the dropped kite as a sail? Grabbing the kite and swimming back? Stay on the water with kite dropped and lines extended and wait for the wind and waves bring you back to shore?

So, to pass this self-rescue test do you have to actually drop your kite in the water?
It doesn't seem fair to me to drop my kite and self-rescue me only to pass a test, especially in risky conditions as strong winds, shore breaks or other hazards.
Let's say I show up there and there is a 20knots winds with a nice shore brake. Beautiful to ride. Not so much to practice a self-rescue.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Tony (Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:06 pm

We booked a place in Melbourne Beach for the first week of March. Hopefully we'll get decent wind/weather.
Any further insight into that area would be appreciated.

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Soli » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:39 pm

RickI wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm
No one rents kite gear that I know of in the Boca Raton area. Schools provide gear for their students routinely however. A number of the launches off Southeast Florida require the ability to kite upwind assuming you could find rental gear. You would do well to hook up with the folks at Adventure Sports and in particular Matheson Hammock in Miami. It is a drive but it will be worth it given the easier riding conditions, i.e. shallow water, almost no waves and no bathers. You should progress well in those conditions with good wind. As you're here for a while you should do a road trip down into the Keys and hook up with Otherside Boardsports. Conditions down there can be ideal as well particularly from their support boat on the sand bars.
Thanks much for the information!
So rare that nobody rents out gear. At least for me, coming from Europe.
I ended up going to Hammock and it was definitely a good decision :) Next time I'm in town around end of May, I'll consider the keys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”