Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Re: New kites!

Postby dracop » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:44 am

Boston kiter wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:54 am
Did you win the lottery???? Damn that's a lot of money $5500?
Have not gotten in many new kitts these last three years and Im cycling most of my quiver. Keep in mind Im an instructor so I have alot of gear and most of the kites need updating.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:05 pm

Got my 15m Aluula Juice out on its maiden voyage yesterday. Hawaii is experiencing the Doldrums at the moment (no trade winds) however this has been opening up localized land/sea breezes as differences in temp between the mountain and ocean create wind in small areas of the coast. Lighter winds, averaging 12-14mph with gusts to about 17 and lulls to about 8mph.

In this light stuff the Aluula Juice totally lived up to the marketing. It never once backstalled on me not even in the lightest of the light. It gave enough power to ride thru the 8mph lulls and I could upwind and do smaller jumps in the 12-14moh range. On the 17mph gusts I got nicer jumps in the 25 ft range.

Even in the lighter winds the kite stayed crispy and responsive. Looping it in 8mph winds the kite never let me down whereas looping a 13m Rebel in that wind, sometimes the kite is just too slow to catch you.

One thing to be aware of, this kite sits really deep in the window when the wind is light. You need to pair it with either a light wind specific TT or a surfboard - something with ALOT of upwind drive. The kite flies well and generates power but in ultra light wind its basically a straight downwind pull.

I paired mine with a 2014 145 Best Breeze which was a light wind focused TT with insane upwind drive. Square corners and flat rocker mean the board cruises upwind at the maximum angles without breaking a sweat. A Lightwave Wing or a Door would pair great. In the lighter wind ranges I would NOT suggest a rockered board to go with this kite as you will be doing a one way downwinder.

Kite did exactly what I bought it for! Note given my experience at 8mph, I was looping it to continue riding downwind while waiting for the wind to go back up. Kite flew fine but power levels were barely enough for me to ride. If the wind avg is below 10mph I would not even try. A lighter weight rider could prob take this down to 7-8mph winds - the kite FLIES and it still pulls, but its too soft of a power to intentionally aim for an 8mph avg at least at my weight of 225 lbs (102kg).

Wind conditions: avg around 12-14mph, lulls to 8mph, gusts to 17mph, side on shore, occasional white caps
Gear: 15m Aluula Juice and 145 2014 Best Breeze
Rider: 225 lbs (102kg) kite instructor with 7+ years of constant kiting, very familiar with light wind kiting technique
Attachments
399C4BA1-3455-478B-A944-91E06C6E5A6F.jpeg
69929B92-E24A-4C6C-8641-975FED5A4426.jpeg
57FF0767-9ECA-4416-B6A2-D75BA4448351.jpeg
649745FE-90CB-4A0B-A242-C1719BCEE55F.jpeg

andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andikite » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 pm

dracop wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:05 pm
Got my 15m Aluula Juice out on its maiden voyage yesterday. Hawaii is experiencing the Doldrums at the moment (no trade winds) however this has been opening up localized land/sea breezes as differences in temp between the mountain and ocean create wind in small areas of the coast. Lighter winds, averaging 12-14mph with gusts to about 17 and lulls to about 8mph.

In this light stuff the Aluula Juice totally lived up to the marketing. It never once backstalled on me not even in the lightest of the light. It gave enough power to ride thru the 8mph lulls and I could upwind and do smaller jumps in the 12-14moh range. On the 17mph gusts I got nicer jumps in the 25 ft range.

Even in the lighter winds the kite stayed crispy and responsive. Looping it in 8mph winds the kite never let me down whereas looping a 13m Rebel in that wind, sometimes the kite is just too slow to catch you.

One thing to be aware of, this kite sits really deep in the window when the wind is light. You need to pair it with either a light wind specific TT or a surfboard - something with ALOT of upwind drive. The kite flies well and generates power but in ultra light wind its basically a straight downwind pull.

I paired mine with a 2014 145 Best Breeze which was a light wind focused TT with insane upwind drive. Square corners and flat rocker mean the board cruises upwind at the maximum angles without breaking a sweat. A Lightwave Wing or a Door would pair great. In the lighter wind ranges I would NOT suggest a rockered board to go with this kite as you will be doing a one way downwinder.

Kite did exactly what I bought it for! Note given my experience at 8mph, I was looping it to continue riding downwind while waiting for the wind to go back up. Kite flew fine but power levels were barely enough for me to ride. If the wind avg is below 10mph I would not even try. A lighter weight rider could prob take this down to 7-8mph winds - the kite FLIES and it still pulls, but its too soft of a power to intentionally aim for an 8mph avg at least at my weight of 225 lbs (102kg).

Wind conditions: avg around 12-14mph, lulls to 8mph, gusts to 17mph, side on shore, occasional white caps
Gear: 15m Aluula Juice and 145 2014 Best Breeze
Rider: 225 lbs (102kg) kite instructor with 7+ years of constant kiting, very familiar with light wind kiting technique
Great review. I have a 13 one. Agree with all your comments. I also noticed that in very light wind the kite go deeper in the window loosing upwind capabilities but pulling enough. I go with a normal TT Select 138. After my first attempts, I learned that it's necessary go with the kite in 1 o'clock position instead of 2 or 3. In this way the kite pull you upper changing your body and board angle increasing the surface in contact with the water improving a lot your upwind performances loosing speed obviously.

Definitely is an amazing new kite concept (Aluula kites in general), with new handling techniques that you have to learn. I have a lot of fun only in 9 knots.
These users thanked the author andikite for the post:
dracop (Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”