Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Biceps cramp after kiting, any solutions?

Forum for kitesurfers
waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Has thanked: 0

Re: Biceps cramp after kiting, any solutions?

Postby waynepjh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:36 pm

Get some sport legs!! This is the best product I’ve found to get rid of muscle cramps.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:23 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:22 am
After most intense and reasonably long kite sessions like those currently in Cape Town, I get cramps in my biceps later in the day, for example, when showering and trying to wash my hair, or brush my teeth. I imagine it has to do with some dehydration while kiting. Thoughts?
Lots of good advice from others. I'll add this.

You need more than just water to stave off cramps from dehydration. Magnesium is important, but you need other electrolytes, too (e.g., potasium, sodium, etc.). Use a sport drink designed for ultamarathoners or similar endurance athletes (my favorite is lemon flavor Vitalyte: https://www.rei.com/product/109746/vita ... olor=LEMON). If you plan to ride for more than 2-3 hours and don't want to use a Camelback, you can probably find some low profile waist belts that will sit below your harness and hold a few small bottles. If you can carry a Go-Pro (not sure if you do or not), then you can carry some fluids.

It might also help to vary your arm position periodically. If you're riding for multiple hours, try pulling or releasing your depower line occasionally so that your biceps are not always engaged in the same position. You could also consider using the stopper ball on your bar (or adding a stopper if your bar has none) to share some of the load and reduce pressure on your biceps.

The good news is that, if you're riding for 2-3 hours (or more), you must be having a grand time on the water. :thumb:

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:00 am

Thanks again all. I am indeed kiting 2-3 hours each day in Cape Town, and that's enough for me at age 65/66 to get to that exhaustion/satisfied state. I've tried sport drinks in Cape Hatteras where I also do long downwinders with several hours without a drink, and they helped a little. I agree that changing bar throw can help, and I swap around my arms from over- to under-hand grips, sort of like a windsurfer, but the opposite, the back hand is under-grip much of the time. I'm not keen on stopper balls here, the wind can be a little gusty and a lot of throw on the bar is useful. I don't think I can really improve my arm fitness much more than already. I've been doing low-intensity arm exercises every day for 14 months to help rehabilitate my shoulder from rotator cuff surgery (I also lost the minor tendon on my right biceps), and here I'm kiting almost every day, so it's more a case of sustaining what strength I have. I'll see how it goes with the magnesium supplement and might add more salts.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:14 am

Cramps as far as I know is still a bit of a mystery. I got friends who are probably close to training 1000 hours a year - and two of them will occasionally have fairly severe issues with cramping. Good for me of course as I will therefore sometimes beat them in races even if they are far better riders than me :lol:

They have tried it all, but can’t seem to figure out why it is happening.

Don’t mind the advice given in this thread though. Seems to be the “standard” advice people give. Hopefully that means it works for some.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Forget it.

It is not magnesium. It is a neck and upper body imbalance and blood flow. Im also in the office 8 hrs a day, sitting.

Get the min 30 mins massage every day. Put it this way, a tennis elbow is painfull, correct?

So I should get a physio or something? Nope.

5 times massage by 30 mins, and its almost gone in 2 weeks.

It was so bad I could not brush my hair. Or bend me elbow fully...

Might work for u too.

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:12 pm

Bit more salt in your diet?

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Has thanked: 0

Postby waynepjh » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:04 pm

I have been doing endurance sports since high school and have been plagued by cramps my whole life. Had all kinds of blood testing done to figure it out. All they ever found was I have a sodium deficiency. Tried everything over and over again. Sport legs are truly amazing. I promise this will work. SPORTLEGS

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:34 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:38 pm
it can easily be four hours between drinks (not sure I am up for a camelback though).
Four hours is much too long, you must rehydrate much more often. Figure out how to do it, but DO IT.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:09 am

I'm going to try that sport legs stuff. Like others say, pro atlethes still get cramps, so it's not just muscle strength. I'm pretty fit, I run long distance trail. But even a short training run can sometimes give me cramps.just stopping and drinking a lot and walking it out usually allows me to continue the run. But it's painfull.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:35 pm

5 days of kiting, taking 90mg of potassium before each session, no cramps. Thanks guys, problem solved. 4 hour session today, kind of thirsty at the end, but no problems.

Return to “Kitesurfing”