Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core 17m kite for lighter wind airstyle - XR vs GTS vs Nexus

Forum for kitesurfers
SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Core 17m kite for lighter wind airstyle - XR vs GTS vs Nexus

Postby SMJ » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:37 pm

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I'm probably asking very obscure questions here that only a few people in the world can comment on, but hopefully some hard Core riders are out there.

Last year I switched my main kite quiver over to Core XR's - which I absolutely love and have in several sizes. However, I'm not completely satisfied with my 17m XR6. Being a 5-strut kite it doesn't like to stay in the sky during lulls and is generally sluggish. It also boosts more downwind than the 15m XR - which has a very vertical pop.

Consequently, I'm looking at the other Core 17m kites - particularly the GTS and Nexus. I'm looking for a more agile, big boosting airstyle kite for lighter winds (16 - 18mph). Prefer vertical boosting kites and lighter bar pressure. I've read that the 15 & 17m GTS are completely different kites from their more C-shaped smaller sized counterparts. I've also read that the Nexus is good in waves - which I don't do at all.

My stats:
Weight: 230lb (104kg)
Style: Mostly airstyle / boosting on flat water bays. Zero wave riding. May get into unhooked.
Target winds: 16 - 18mph

So finally we get to the questions:
Has anyone out there flown all three of these kites (XR, GTS, and Nexus) in the 17m size?
Which one boosts the most vertical?
Which one has the lightest bar pressure?
For what I'm looking for, would you recommend the GTS 17m, the Nexus 17m, or stay with my XR 17m?

Thanks & Happy Holidays.

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Re: Core 17m kite for lighter wind airstyle - XR vs GTS vs Nexus

Postby Steve271 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:12 pm

Merry Xmas
Sorry I can’t answer your question directly, but found a different solution to the same issue. I am lighter than you though at 150lbs.
I too have a fleet of XRs and love them all except the 17m. I found it really only opened up an extra knot or so of low wind and was prone to fall out of the sky at the low end and drag me quickly downwind at the top end. So now my largest XR is my 15m.
I have previously tried a 15m Nexus I, but found it gutless when used to XR- a lighter & softer feeling without the punch I like.
I did consider Nexus 2 and failed to get a demo ride.
I invested in Flysurfer Souls for the ultimate in low end, since they don’t fall out of the sky and have a wider wind range than tube kites. I have a 15m and 18m. The only drawback is the self-landing fuss. The hangtime is unreal- more than compensates for the slow turning speed - IMO
I added these to a Lightwave wing 165 carbon and sold my foiling gear, since it didn’t suit my favorite locations.
I’m very happy with this path- total session savers for vacations.
Just my 2 cents.
These users thanked the author Steve271 for the post:
SMJ (Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Steve271 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:12 pm
I too have a fleet of XRs and love them all except the 17m. I found it really only opened up an extra knot or so of low wind and was prone to fall out of the sky at the low end and drag me quickly downwind at the top end. So now my largest XR is my 15m.

I invested in Flysurfer Souls for the ultimate in low end, since they don’t fall out of the sky and have a wider wind range than tube kites. I have a 15m and 18m. The only drawback is the self-landing fuss. The hangtime is unreal- more than compensates for the slow turning speed - IMO
Steve271,
Thanks for the input. Your experience with the 17m XR sounds identical to mine. Core needs to change the 17m XR to lighter materials and / or drop it to 3-struts. On the other hand, the 15m XR is nothing short of amazing.

I actually own a 21m Soul, but our local launch is sketchy for foil kites (not much beach to work with). Maybe I'll try the 15m or the 18m Soul sometime down the road. Another thing about the Soul's I'm not entirely crazy about is the moderate / heavy bar pressure.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:31 pm

the world is still in need of a foil killer tube kite...I hope one day....

SMJ
Frequent Poster

Postby SMJ » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:34 am

Toby wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:31 pm
the world is still in need of a foil killer tube kite...I hope one day....
I just don't get it. It would seem like a big airstyle tube kite would sell like hotcakes.

And bring back the micro-loop and airstyle board grab handle while they're at it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:09 am

Exactly.

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC

Postby rickythecat » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:43 pm

Unfortunately, Core discontinued their 19 meter XR :( May have been the answer for you. I made the switch to the 19 years ago - my most used kite where I live.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:38 am

Did you try the front bridle cit setting on wave? That might give you more forward flying and help get more vertical jumps. I don't have a 17 but in theory might help.
These users thanked the author thewindego for the post:
SMJ (Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SMJ
Frequent Poster

Postby SMJ » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:42 am

thewindego wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:38 am
Did you try the front bridle cit setting on wave? That might give you more forward flying and help get more vertical jumps. I don't have a 17 but in theory might help.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:30 pm

You do foil from your comments in different topics, would you still prefer massive >15m LEI on TT over session on foil with small LEI kite? Most people grew up from large LEI or even foil kite once they discover hydrofoiling magic

Return to “Kitesurfing”