Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drift launch - running out lines

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drift launch - running out lines

Postby tomatkins » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:09 pm

Here is a pdf of a device I tinkered up and used successfully to drift launch from a rocky point. The lines are separated and roll off the "drum" as the kite drifts out, and at the last seconds, the bar comes out of the blue foam pad wrap. The back lines are left longer than the front lines. I stand next to the device, so I can work the lines to keep the kite drifting under control flat on the water and headed in the right direction... and I have more pics, if anyone is interested. I think it would work off a boat or in shallow water, as well as on a rocky point location. Pics are not in any order. It has been a while since Kitezilla or I have posted... still a kiter and a tinkerer.... Safety first!!

Any questions? Ha,ha...
Attachments
8.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:08 pm

Drift launching is a relatively safe way to launch. The kite isnt in an easy take off position so lofting is unlikely and safety systems like the secondary leash release are there should you manage to snag something and start the kite looping.

The answer to the original question is that it depends on whether you are launching at a cross shore or onshore location.

If you are letting the kite drift downwind from you then you'll want to unwind the lines under the kite completely before letting the kite drift downwind. You'll need to soak the canopy to stop the kite from tumbling downwind. Failure to completely unwind the lines would result in a useless primary safety system (the QR) and a subsequent long run/swim to recover the kite should it start looping whilst you are releasing the lines from the bar.

It's possible to soak half the canopy and get the kite to drift along the edge of the wind window. It's probably possible to do with slack lines but all the videos I've seen have been done with tension on the near side bridle line in order to help keep the kite at the edge of the wind window and are done with lines wrapped because of this. I've only seen it done in lightish wind conditions though so probably best to file under advanced techniques.

Like everything, it's a bit daunting the first time but a little planning can make it go much better

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Having had my lines snag on submerged rocks and tie themselves up when not under a little tension, plus having the assumption that to drift launch I'd have to be going on offshore or direct Cross winds, I'm going to stick my neck out and say I'd never bother with either.
That said, I always fancied doing a boat launch, in which case I'd go for deep water and B.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:09 am

If you have a clean, sandy beach, flat water and a sideshore wind, it's relatively simple to drift launch.

PaulB2
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: 153 Naish board, 2013 Rrd Passion 7and 11, 2013 Airrush 14, 2017 Ozone 17

Postby PaulB2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:00 pm

I put a lot of effort into drift launch experiments because I want to be independent of others.
If I am with another, someone still has to be last man.
Initially, it seemed obvious that a drift launch is safer than a solo beach launch, 2 ft of water is a softer landing. Also easier on the kite.
But, though succesful with small kites, my drift launches failed with a 14m and 17m in 13 to 18 knots. These kites don't just sit and drift nicely until the lines are tensioned. The fails end up with some horrendous tangle of lines, and uncertainty on the safety working.
So now learning to self beach launch. Also with fails. But it does feel safer, despite being on sand. And so far I've been able to throw the safety in plenty of time.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:52 pm

PaulB2 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:00 pm

But, though succesful with small kites, my drift launches failed with a 14m and 17m in 13 to 18 knots. These kites don't just sit and drift nicely until the lines are tensioned. The fails end up with some horrendous tangle of lines, and uncertainty on the safety working.
Big kites are definitely trickier with drift launch. I have had luck in the past putting a bunch of water on the canopy, having LE facing straight up wind, and walking/swimming fast upwind after releasing kite. All that said, with bigger kites, beach conditions and particular kite matters more than smaller kites (which always seem to drift launch really well). I don’t use anything bigger than 10 anymore, so not an issue for me.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 pm

"....Drift launching is a relatively safe way to launch...."

Vs:

"...These kites don't just sit and drift nicely until the lines are tensioned. The fails end up with some horrendous tangle of lines, and uncertainty on the safety working...."

Plus"

"...Having had my lines snag on submerged rocks and tie themselves up when not under a little tension,.." when not under a little tension,.."

EXCELLENT COMMENTS, but the "tie themselves up when not under a little tension,.." is what must be well understood if a kiter is to consistently drift launch the kite successfully. So, first ask yourself why and how do lines which are not under tension ...tie themselves up ?

Here is the short answer"

(1) spiral line memory

(2) snags from debris, seaweed and underwater rocks and objects

(3) Braiding of lines

So, how to deal with each of these factors? The proper way to counteract each of these challenges is the key to drift launching success. And keep in mind that all of this is aside from the other hazards to drift launching, such as shifty, gusty wind, wave action, kite flipping and unexpected interferences, for which I will give one odd example (eg: a dog once ran out in the shallow water, while I was drifting out the kite and got the "s" hook connecting his dog tag to his collar, hooked onto one of my lines... imagine what happened next, ha,ha...).

In this post I will the "HOW" and WHY" of my experience dealing with (1) the spiral line memory problem of kite lines.

Let's take a trip down memory lane to the days of the "turbolauncher" (no longer manufactured, even though it was a pretty good device). Many of the members of Kiterforum will remember the famous Richard Branson and the launching of kites at a particular Canadian site, maybe, 15 years ago.

I thought that I could improve on the "turbolauncher" principal and make a more convenient device to carry with the kiter, after launching... on his person or on his board........But, was wrong. Here are some pictures of the inventions I made to enable the lines to spiral out, without allowing the lines to prematurely pull off coils of the 4 lines. And, everything worked well, as long as the lines were under some tension. The problems began when the kite drifted or stalled and the lines got loose. I realized the principle "LOOSE FLOATING LINES THAT HAVE BEEN WOUND UP ON ANYTHING, BIG OR SMALL, WILL CARRY A MEMORY OF THE CURLYCUES AND WHEN THESE LINES MEET UP, THEY WILL fraternize and intertwine".... so then, when the lines tension up, they tie "slip knots" that may or may not "slip" .

So, this is why all the devices in the pictures had a "fatal flaw", and this flaw exerts it's evil effect even from the figure eight windings on a kitebar.

"Beware of spiral memory " CURLYCUES " !
Attachments
IMG_9035.jpg
IMG_9101.jpg
IMG_9108.jpg
IMG_9112.jpg
IMG_9114.jpg
IMG_9117.jpg
IMG_9126.jpg

PaulB2
Rare Poster

Postby PaulB2 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:47 pm

Is it the case the problem has been solved already, back in the 2-line days? Somebody invented a bar with a reel, such that the kite could be launched on 10 feet of line, then the line paid out to whatever length the rider fancied that day.
If it were possible to do the same on a 4 line bar, that would be fantastic. Safe launching, excellent for beginners and schools, and busy beaches.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:14 am

search.php?keywords=reelbar

do a search for 'reelbar'

3 iterations of such a bar have been made...they were too heavy, they jammed, one had two actual bars, one had a bicycle disk brake....no survivors, just a few kitemares to tell the grandchildren, as they ask: "Why did you have lines?... Why not just hold the kite in your hands, like me and my friends do, now on our wing foilboards? ha,ha". "lose the lines, grampa"......"shut up kid....lose the leashes, ha!"

PaulB2
Rare Poster

Postby PaulB2 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:53 pm

No lines? No leash? Hmmm. Wonder what wind powered sport might fit that?

Return to “Kitesurfing”