Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drift launch - running out lines

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Drift launch - running out lines

Postby Herman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:13 am

When drift launching whilst standing in shallow water there are options for the way to run the lines out:

A. Set the kite adrift and unwind the lines from the bar as the kite drifts away.

B. Clip the kite to your harness by pump leash, slowly unwind the lines and let them drift down wind, (may need to walk back into wind to get them to straighten out). Release kite when lines are all out (but folded in the middle).

I have practiced both in the past but have not done it often enough to establish a preference. A enables you to pull a line to tweak the drift, B reduces the risk of an unfortunately timed unwinding tangle. Any frequent drift launchers out there with an opinion on the above?
Last edited by Herman on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Drift launch - running out lines.

Postby leeuwen » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 am

I would never consider doing A.
If you somehow cannot roll out the kite lines quick enough you can end up with an out of control kite very easily.
Also quick release / flag out cannot work because the bar is not rolled out yet so your only option would be to let go of the bar and lose everything.

With option B you can also still hold a line while the kite drifts to keep it in the proper position.

Either way I am not a huge fan and I would personally go for a tether or drag launch (possibly on the water edge) if the spot allows it.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:53 pm

^^Thanks for the input. As you point out you could hold a line, eg the windward front line, to control the drift with method B but this would make this line feed and travel at a different rate to the other lines, probably increasing the risk of a loop tangle. Not sure how significant that issue might be but I don’t fancy it! All part of the joy of drift launching I guess. Overall, it seems we have a similar view on the subject! I will probably practice with a decent breeze but small kite to iron out the kinks in the methods I eventually decide to go for!

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Been thanked: 0

Postby mikewang » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:05 pm

Umm...I suggest *never* unwinding lines in the water. Easy to wrap and have zero control over looping kite. My old local spot requires a drift launch 100% of the time in the water. We just rig out the kite, clip bar into the harness, and walk our kite out to the water. The lines are slack creating a big U shape. Make sure no seaweeds or twigs get caught in the lines. Put kite flat in the water and splash water onto the kite. This weighs down the kite more so it's less likely to flip.

As you get better, it is possible to go out but you need to have a technique for the lines to free-spool off your bar. If you're using your hand, there's a more likely chance of an accident. You can kinda flick your wrist with the bar so that it free-spools. You can practice this on land.

Some of these techniques are hard to explain. Hopefully, somebody at your local spot will show you. I don't suggest unwinding lines in the water.

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Been thanked: 0

Postby mikewang » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:14 pm

Check this video for the perfect technique. It shows 2 ways. The first way is standard - walking the kite into the water without lines on the bar. The alternative method is with bar. You see the alternative method, the lines are going slack down wind. They have a tiny bit of tension. You do not want to stand in standing water to unwind your lines as there will be a big ball of knots. Also, you see in the video, he is using that bar-flick technique so the lines fall off the bar. Either way, the kite is not released until the lines are all out.

Unwinding the lines as the kite is already drifting is not safe.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Never release the kite and then try to unwind the lines fast unless it’s really light wind. If you aren’t fast enough, you can get in an uncontrolled situation with kite powered up but no control and no flag out option. Better to unwind lines while holding kite and then let it go after.

Walking upwind as you unwind helps avoid tangles.
Walking sideways after releasing the kite helps separate the lines before the kite tensions them.
Walking downwind as kite tensions and turns can smooth the tensioning process and avoid tangles.

Anything that suddenly tensions the lines has increased chance for a tangle to lock in place. Slow, gentle tensioning let’s the lines keep sliding against each other and untangle.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post (total 2):
Steve271 (Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:46 pm) • CaptainKook (Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:27 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. The second method In the video is exactly what I have done in the recent past except i pass the bar over the kite and hook in, so that I can clip the kite to me at the pump leash in the smiley position by the pump leash so I have both hands free for unwinding the lines below the kite. Hard to explain but done properly it ensures the lines run correctly. Also I dunk the leading edge where he splashes. Interesting that some think the drift rate can be quick enough to jeopardise unwinding.

However I have seen videos of people just unwinding as the kite drifts and would like to hear of any experience with this as I have only tried this a looooong time ago.

Good video though and always a good reminder to unhook until inspected under tension!

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:51 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm

However I have seen videos of people just unwinding as the kite drifts and would like to hear of any experience with this as I have only tried this a looooong time ago.
6m Lei in 20-25 knots, halfway unwinding when a gust to 35 rolled through, tensioned and flipped the kite and yanked the bar and lines pulled off on wrong side of the bar, wrapping in a instant tangle. Couldn’t free them due to tension. Kite started looping. Couldn’t flag out, and so I hung on until pulled into wind shadow and safety, otherwise would have had to jettison.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
Herman (Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:10 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:47 pm

I was at a spot where someone tried this in higher winds.
Kite went faster then he could unwind then the kite started to deathloop he got dragged and snapped the bar in two.
So would not recommend.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Herman (Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:14 pm

I never unwind the lines in water - always rigging on land and walking out with lines floating. I consider “A” a terrible idea. The “B” is kind of safer
I drift launch a lot, more than I want to
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post (total 2):
Herman (Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:33 pm) • CaptainKook (Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:26 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”