Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:06 pm

JTKiter wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 pm
Havre: You're quite right that most folks are fine with a 14m to 10m gap or 17m to 12m. I like a 2m gap myself so the 14.5 Aluula has eliminated the need for one kite for me.

I'm curious whether you have some sessions on a bigger Aluula kite or not. I truly hope I don't seem rude in asking but it seems pertinent given the OP's original request.
As you can see I have informed the OP in detail about my experiences exactly so that he/she isn’t mislead by my posts. I don’t think that is a problem.

andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness

Postby andikite » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:27 pm

I have a 13 Juice dLAB. My quiver every year is 12, 9 and 7 Dices. I had some doubts about replace my 12 Dice with the 13 Juice. In low wind is obvious because I go with 13 Dlab and twintip Select 138 in 9/10 knots, my main doubt was the gap between 13 Dlab and 9 Dice SLS. My surprise, I went last weekend with 17/18 knots very confortable with 13 dLab. I go with 9 in this range too so for me will be perfect the quiver: Juice dLAB 13, Dice SLS 9 + 7.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:06 pm
JTKiter wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 pm
Havre: You're quite right that most folks are fine with a 14m to 10m gap or 17m to 12m. I like a 2m gap myself so the 14.5 Aluula has eliminated the need for one kite for me.

I'm curious whether you have some sessions on a bigger Aluula kite or not. I truly hope I don't seem rude in asking but it seems pertinent given the OP's original request.
As you can see I have informed the OP in detail about my experiences exactly so that he/she isn’t mislead by my posts. I don’t think that is a problem.
"Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience"

- so not you....
These users thanked the author EastCC for the post:
drsurf (Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:37 pm

GingisHan70 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:42 am
Hello guys,

I'm a 225 LB (105 Kg), been riding for some years, mostly FreeRide and Old-School (Hooked) Jumps (I'm guilty I like to jumping but who wouldn't :D ), and sometimes ocassional wave riding when in open ocean.

I just sold my quiver and since is this hype with ALUULA for my next 2022 quiver I intend to switch to either Ocean Rodeo or Duotone kites to see how this works on long run (not just Demo).

Because to the Price burden and my Hobby & Sport budget not having a large limit, I will probably switch from a 3-kite quiver to a 2-kite quiver, so I intend to spread the distance on the Wind Windows,
that way I will try to make sure the overlap of the windows will be at minimum and the Wind Window will be as large as possible.
- spreading UP the window of the smaller kite
- spreading DOWN the window of the larger kite

if we're talking about ALUULA of the past 2 years abviously we're talking Ocean Rodeo kites and on those I was thinking about Aluula ROAM 10m & Aluula FLITE 17m,... maybe Aluula Rise ?!
but I would prefer some opinions from those of you who already HAVE some hands-on experience and I'm talking about experience with the past 2 years Aluula products from Ocean Rodeo.
(I definitely DO like Duotone but I'm not asking about the Aluula Duotone because it's new and I don't know how many riders had the chance to experience that yet)

What would YOU guys consider to be the best match for 2-kite quiver?

a) Which 2 models would be best matched for FreeRide mentioned above given my weight ( 225Lb / 105Kg ) ?!
(i'm thinking between ROAM, CRAVE, RISE, FLITE )

b) Which 2 sizes would be best match to cover the window spread the most given my weight ( 225Lb / 105Kg ) ?!

Thanks and look forward to some good, sound advice on this matter. :jump:
I weigh 225bs (102kg btw, not 105) and I was out yesterday on a 15m ALuula Juice from Duotone. Wind was avg about 12-14mph, gusting to 17, lulls to 8 mph. Kite did awesome - gave enough power to ride and never backstalled (big problem in light wind). That kite needs a light wind specific board or Big Air Freeride board to pair with it. The kite never jellyfished or warped under my weight- steering control went straight to the kite and the kite stayed responsive even in 8 mph wind (7.2 kts). Even when the wind gusted up to 17mph and I loaded up 20ft+ jumps, the kite held all of my weight and stayed consistent. See my post on New Kites thread.

I have not ridden the Ocean Rodeo ALuula kites although in the light wind category, their Flite is famously good. If I come across a Flite Aluula 14.5m I will try to compare the two but I have not tried theirs yet.

If you get the 14.5m Aluula Flight or 15m ALuula Juice, then go for a 10m. Depending on your skill level, either a Rebel 10m SLS (Intermediate) or Dice SLS (Adv+) or possibly an Aluula Rise 10m if you have the budget and can actually get the kite. One thing that pushes me off the Rise is that its a first year design and I hate paying to beta someone's product (altho I am SUPER pleased at the feedback I have been hearing about the Rise and I am glad OR deployed ALuula for a Big Air kite). The Rebel and Dice are tried and true designs. This objection likely goes away with the next model of Rise so its specific to the 2021/2022 Rise and not future models of the Rise. Look how much better the 2021 Orbit was vs the 2020 Orbit and you will understand a first gen design is not something you should ever pay top dollar for.

One big positive for YOU on the Rise is that the reference design for the Rise was based on a 10m and if you ever get a kite where the reference design was the size you are buying, it tends to perform as expected. The other sizes usually feature "known adjustments" where they think tweaking the wingtip shape, strut spacing, etc. has certain effects and they just build it without the designer testing every size. This sometimes creates sucky sizes of a kite as it does not always work out as expected. With the Rise, the reference design was the 10m so buying that specific size is going to show you the best a Rise can be.

I would not suggest you use an Aluula Roam with a TT - if you like directionals, I know people with Aluula Roams on directionals and foilboards who LOVE their kite. To be fair, if you use the same lightwind board as the Juice/Flite, it will prob work out nicely as the Roam sits deeper in the window to make it good at drifting (critical feature for directional surfboards and kiting). Your current board ownership and/or willingness to buy additional boards kinda has an effect here.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:02 pm

[/quote]
Flite is famously good….
you will understand a first gen design is not something you should ever pay top dollar for….
I would not suggest you use an Aluula Roam with a TT
[/quote]

For a guy that bought a first gen Dlab juice, and with the other comments I would share the expression ‘talking out of both sides of the mouth’ ! :argue: :argue:

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:40 pm

dracop wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:37 pm
I have not ridden the Ocean Rodeo ALuula kites ...

... the Rise is a first year design ...

... the Roam sits deeper in the window to make it good at drifting ...
I own several OR Aluula Roams & Flights, also a 10m Aluula Rise and don't agree with several of the points above.

OR didn't rush the development of the Aluula Rise, it's awesome for TT boosting and looping. Only have one short surfboard session on it thus far, in pretty flat water, so still TBD on it for directional-waves. Also yet to try it out in light air with a foil.

Kites sit deep in window when they have lots of drag, from a combination of low aspect ratio, big wingtips ( from a deep-C span-wise arc, or squared-off & wide wingtips ), large diameter leading edge, deep draft ( chord-wise curvature ), and/or a front bridle tow point positioned very close to the kite's centre-of-lift at low AoA.

IMO the Aluula Roams are pretty low-drag, small LE, shallow draft, medium aspect ratio and span-wise arc, and will fly forward in the window if not over-sheeted. With the kite's very low weight, it doesn't need very much drag to make it a great drifting kite.

And to the OP, I say take everything others say with some caution, as your results may vary. Kite preference is a very personal matter. Best thing to do if at all possible is to try before you buy, and give it as long a trial as you can. It may take a while to become familiar with and fully utilize the performance advantages of a lighter and stiffer-airframe kite.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:20 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:08 am
If you go 14.5 and 11 with OR Aluula - what "more" are you getting than going 14 and 11 with a "normal" kite?
Haha hey Havre - - that's like comparing romantic partners, if you have one why would you ever want another one?

Trust me there is a MORE to get - not sure how else to tell you. Find a friend or demo one, in a matter of minutes you will see.

One NOTE OF CAUTION - DO NOT USE AN ALUULA KITE UNLESS YOU HAVE THE $$$ TO BUY ONE - this can lead to a serious and incurable sadness :(

Mc

:dance:

PS - Aluula kites will NEVER SELL for 60% off - you are dreaming - if you want the best you have to PAY UP

For the RECORD the OR kites are A LOT cheaper than the DUOTONE LABS Aluula's just saying, you get what you pay for...

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:53 am

Pana wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:02 pm
Flite is famously good….
you will understand a first gen design is not something you should ever pay top dollar for….
I would not suggest you use an Aluula Roam with a TT
[/quote]

For a guy that bought a first gen Dlab juice, and with the other comments I would share the expression ‘talking out of both sides of the mouth’ ! :argue: :argue:
[/quote]

The Juice, the Flite, and the Roam are all established designs that were tweaked to work with a lighter, stuffer fabric instead of Dacron. The newer fabric helps the Aluula Juice vs the Dacron Juice but its still mostly the same kite with better characteristics.

The Rise is a completely new design whose sole claim to testing is that late last year a rising pro switched over to it. The example of the 2020 Orbit vs the 2021 Orbit is dead on. Note that I want more Big Air Aluula kites but paying to be a beta tester is ridiculous (yet companies do this and try to charge full price). My experience with Aluula is good so far but dont pay OR to test their new design for them. On the LW side, their Flite has been good at LW for over a decade and tweaking it to work with Aluula is a no brainer.

FYI I was negative on SS with the Raptor especially since they did not make it accessible for demos. Look how that turned out!

If you have a directional, why go for the Rise? The Roam is really popular with directional riders - the ones I know with Aluula Roams hug/kiss their kites after sessions.

If you are going to hitup OR, Wait for the Rise Mk II or 2022-2023 version vs paying to be a guinea pig. If you are not focused on Big Air they have other designs that are popular and adapted to Aluula already.

My point of contention is brands pushing riders to pay top $$$ for a totally new design and they do not make an effort to make it available for demo. Adapting an existing design to take adv of newer materials is not the same thing when the designs are trie and true from years of being in the field.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post:
McLovin (Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:06 am)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:30 pm

^^ If I get your point right, its that where an existing model has been upgraded with fabrics, you can understand the characteristics of the expensive version.

e.g. trial the regular Duotone Evo and if you don't like the way it handles - you probably aren't going to like the way that the SLS version flies either.

Is that it?

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,

Postby Pierrot » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:51 pm

I have Roam A 10m and 7m. about 18 months on the 10m now. It was my first OR kite. But I got sold as soon as I tried one of the demo kite over 2 years ago.
I still kept my old 10-7-5m north Neo (pre-duotone era).
The roams are the Nirvana on foil. And At 80kg I don’t need bigger than a 10m for light wind with a big HF front wing.

The roam A are also very decent on a TT in high wind. With the 10m I need 20 knts to have real fun on a TT. Can ride earlier of course but this is not where the kite shines.
I still go to my Neo on most of the TT sessions at home. Especially when it is 7m weather.
Neo is a better « all rounder » I guess, but the allula makes the Roam a dream for foiling.

There is in fact a chance I will go back to the Neo when they release a Neo Allula… so +1 for choosing a kite you like and getting the allula version when it comes to the market which you will like even more.
But in the meantime for foiling, the Roam A will beat anything I have tried.
These users thanked the author Pierrot for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:18 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”