Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:13 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 am
Fortunately for you, you don’t have to buy the first generation of Aluula kites. Sure Aluula is a great material, but the design of the kite is just as important as the fabric. I am not saying that the Roam or Flite are bad kites, but neither was designed for some aspects of the sport. So for example, if you want a kite designed to handle high wind and boosting, those kites are not optimal.
I would take a close look at the Crave if you like to boost, it is the first Aluula kite that I saw a rider consistently boost high on. The new Rise also shows promise.
The best thing that Ocean Rodeo offers is a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you don’t love the kite, send it back.

If you like to hydrofoil, and/or ride waves - the first generation Roam is awesome :thumb:

Smooth operation/feel, depower and ability to not have grunt but upper range instead, and turn superfast - is key, and this is where the first Roam excel.

Jumping and power - not so much...

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:01 pm)

GingisHan70
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 225
Local Beach: Tampa, FL
Favorite Beaches: Skyway North, DeSoto
Style: FreeRyde TT, HookJump, WaveRide, Hydrofo
Gear: 10m, 13.5m, 15m
Been thanked: 0

Postby GingisHan70 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:40 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 am
Fortunately for you, you don’t have to buy the first generation of Aluula kites. Sure Aluula is a great material, but the design of the kite is just as important as the fabric. I am not saying that the Roam or Flite are bad kites, but neither was designed for some aspects of the sport. So for example, if you want a kite designed to handle high wind and boosting, those kites are not optimal.
I would take a close look at the Crave if you like to boost, it is the first Aluula kite that I saw a rider consistently boost high on. The new Rise also shows promise.
The best thing that Ocean Rodeo offers is a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you don’t love the kite, send it back.
That was exactly my point too - yes Aluula seems to be promissing and the Aluula promotional hype looks good, but after 2 years of been available on market, still did not convinced too many riders to get the OR kite moels.

I am saying that putting Aluula and HL aside, the actual models (Roam, Flite, etc.) are not the "go-to" kites for riders neither on Aluula nor on HL version.

Yes there are the sponsored OR riders and also the OR enthusiasts who use the kites, but for riders who sell their older quiver and look for the next gear, not to many choose to switch to OR so far.

That is why I've made the comment "excluding the actual material, what else brings to the table the kite model itself (design performance, dinamics, RipStop material quality, etc.)
If the new OR models have some proven performance beside the Aluula - like better RipStop, better aerodynamic design, better bar impulse, etc. that would bring the OR kites at the "fighting chance" with the more widely spread brands main course in terms of performance and sales volume like Duotone, Core, Cabrinha, Naish, etc.

Considering the above, it will make sense to spend the extra cash on a kite which now an OR kite its leveling with a good second hand car price.
Otherwise I don't see the reason to send all that money, just because it has Aluula on it, without also having the material which covers most of the kite surface - RipStop to be just as performant like Triple or Quad Ripstop, and more importantly have the flying performance of the better kite models on the market at this moment.

Yes I do consider to get an Ocean Rodeo or Duotone Aluula kite IF those are better than their "regular version", but NOT so keened on getting those if the reasons are not greatly higher.

GingisHan70
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 225
Local Beach: Tampa, FL
Favorite Beaches: Skyway North, DeSoto
Style: FreeRyde TT, HookJump, WaveRide, Hydrofo
Gear: 10m, 13.5m, 15m
Been thanked: 0

Postby GingisHan70 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:00 pm

Thank you all for the insights and is really appreciated because I definitely did NOT want to purchase some kites that (Aluula aside) would not be at the same performance level as their "regular" counterparts.

So based on what your messages expressed, going towards Aluula Roam is actually NOT a good idea for me :D

I should consider the Aluula RISE and probably lower the Aluula FLITE size from 17m to a 14.5m to get more use out if it?! :)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm

I'm 215lbs, and have been riding Core XRs. I started with a 19m, 12m, 9m, and then eventually moved to a 15m, 12m, 9m, 7m as I got more efficient at twin tipping and as I got more comfortable riding a directional ( can ride a surfboard on a 15m rather than pump up a big 19m or 17m).

I love the Core XR 15m, and I got a chance to ride a chance to ride an Flite alula 14.5m side by side and i wasn't thrilled. It definitely turned faster, which was fun, but it simulteanously seemed to have less power and get over powered really quickly. I didn't feel as confident in variable wind as the Core XR did, and it flew differently in a way that I didn't like ,but I dont really have the skill to describe.

All that to say, that I'm very interested in new lighter materials, but I'm waiting for them to come out for kite designs that I know I like. I'd love to see a Core Nexus 3 thats much lighter and can work for twin tipping and foiling.

For what its worth, this guy AxTheAxMan on Reddit, went through a similar journey and ended up moving from Core XRs to Core Nexus's and then he jumped to the Duotone Evo SLS, and he seems really happy with them. He said the biggest thing they do is stay in the air when the previous heavier kites would have a hard time doing it, but also said they are more playful and turn faster. Might be worth asking him, but he loves the Evo and thinks the Rebel SLS will come out this year ansd should be worth considering

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kiteboarding/c ... f34q/help/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kiteboarding/ ... tchy_kite/

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:02 am

. I'm 215lbs, and have been riding Core XRs. I started with a 19m, 12m, 9m, and then eventually moved to a 15m, 12m, 9m, 7m as I got more efficient at twin tipping and as I got more comfortable riding a directional ( can ride a surfboard on a 15m rather than pump up a big 19m or 17m).

I love the Core XR 15m, and I got a chance to ride a chance to ride an Flite alula 14.5m side by side and i wasn't thrilled. It definitely turned faster, which was fun, but it simulteanously seemed to have less power and get over powered really quickly. I didn't feel as confident in variable wind as the Core XR did, and it flew differently in a way that I didn't like ,but I dont really have the skill to describe.

All that to say, that I'm very interested in new lighter materials, but I'm waiting for them to come out for kite designs that I know I like. I'd love to see a Core Nexus 3 thats much lighter and can work for twin tipping and foiling.

For what its worth, this guy AxTheAxMan on Reddit, went through a similar journey and ended up moving from Core XRs to Core Nexus's and then he jumped to the Duotone Evo SLS, and he seems really happy with them. He said the biggest thing they do is stay in the air when the previous heavier kites would have a hard time doing it, but also said they are more playful and turn faster. Might be worth asking him, but he loves the Evo and thinks the Rebel SLS will come out this year ansd should be worth considering
My journey has been quite the opposite. I have added larger kites to my quiver as I have become more experienced. I have been riding for 21 years. The last big inflatable that I owned was a Core XR19. Since that time I have been flying big foils in light wind. One of my friends bought a OR Aluula Flite 17 and he told me on multiple occasions that he should have bought a FlySurfer Soul 18m instead. The 18m Soul generates more power in light wind; has a better range; and flies in less wind.

I also do a lot of snow kiting, the big foils are also hands down better on the snow.

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:27 am

at your weight...17m Flite and 12m Flite ...both Aluula. I've used the 17m Aluula in 5-6knots for hydrofoiling....although the Flite is not the ideal hydrofoil kite it can be done if you're experienced. Both kites are great jumping boosting kites. You wont break any woo records but you're still gonna go big and floaty...like 35ft jumps with tons of hangtime..no problem. I'm 185lbs and switch up my twin tips as wind strengthens or weakens. I can hold down the 17m till about 18knots with a 135 Mako. More than 18 knots you can switch to the 12m with big board, and maybe max out around 24knots. After that you really need a 10m in my opinion. I tend to ride bigger kites, it's just my personal preference but it not for everyone.
These users thanked the author BillyKP for the post:
GingisHan70 (Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:28 am)

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:11 am

GingisHan70 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:00 pm
Thank you all for the insights and is really appreciated because I definitely did NOT want to purchase some kites that (Aluula aside) would not be at the same performance level as their "regular" counterparts.

So based on what your messages expressed, going towards Aluula Roam is actually NOT a good idea for me :D

I should consider the Aluula RISE and probably lower the Aluula FLITE size from 17m to a 14.5m to get more use out if it?! :)
A lively debate from the usual suspects :) 1st things first several of the replies are clearly from people WHO DO NOT OWN OR USE ALUULA KITES. All that BS about waiting until the entire kite is made of Aluula and then concurrently complaining about the cost is garbage. These kites are NEW, also Ocean Rodeo is a small company so they don't have an army of paid pros - find real people who don't have an economic interest to get a TRUE OPINION, that said even on this small thread there are lots of competing views. Do listen to Doffrats, he owns a shop and will give you his best thinking - make your own choice it may vary. Listen to PANA and the others who have direct experience.

I have commented on this before: search this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2409535&p=1148419&h ... n#p1148419

I am 275lbs in summer more in winter - I have a 14.5m Flite Aluula that replaced my 14.5m Flite dacron - guess which one is better...

The kites are phenomenal 1000% but they are NOT magic - feel free to disregard this part but IMHO - you can get a HUGE amount of value/use out of a 14.5m Flite (A) as your biggest kite especially if you have some board change options. START WITH THIS ONE FIRST. After I got mine, strangely just couldn't bring myself to rig up my old Rebels - never did ever pump the 12m again and soon after sold all of them.

Next you will have a tougher choice as some say drop from 14.5 to 10 - but looks like you live in FL soooooo my .02 would be go to an 11m - not just cause it's the best line from Spinal Tap but gap spacing is an art and you don't want to F&ck it up... For me I drop down to an 11XR then 9mXR and lastly 7m XR but I live in the Gorge where it freaking blows, sometimes, often its just like where you live too. I am considering the RISE in an 11m this year but it's not out yet so the only guy I know that has ever flown it works in the local shop and he had it out for 25 mins in bad wind, not exactly helpful data, he did like it generally. My point is YES get Aluula in your kit, start at the BIGGEST SIZE and get yourself some TIME ON THE WATER - you will see.

Over time you may add more like I'm doing but you have to get there. Eventually you will start to think BIGGER, you ONLY HAVE SO MANY DAYS left to KITE in your lifetime starting RIGHT NOW - If you have the means to kiteboard, you can afford a 3k kite to put in the back of your 30-40k car for which you probably pay over 5k a year in insurance. It's really easy to see that QUALITY stands on it's own, WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT TO HAVE THE BEST GEAR POSSIBLE TO DO THE MOST FUN SPORT IN THE WORLD FOR YOUR PRECIOUS REMAINING DAYS. What else are you waiting / saving / for??? Kites are a fraction of the cost of a motorcycle, snowmobile, hobby car, mountain bike, skis, fill in the blank ---- etc. etc.

ALL the aluula kites are better than what came before - pick the one that suits you best -(cough, cough - FLITE 14.5) this is my direct advice from my own lived experience - then figure it out. I'm 90% gonna go RISE 11m A and then see how that flows for my style, which is hooked in old-school blasting, boosting and slashy swell trickery - still TBD for me on the small kites mostly cause I go to my 9m over 30mph so there is a diminishing return as the 9m and 7m XR's stay in the air fine when it's NUKING and their stability - read this as not as responsive as aluula would be - think about why a ski racer would de-tune the tips of their skis, sometimes you may NOT want a razor sharp response when the speeds / conditions ramp up you need TIME to react which is kind of a good thing in lots of wind. I LOVE, LOVE Aluula for the bigger kites where the responsiveness and solid airframe is night and day better than dacron - the me too materials like PENTA TX are fine probably an upgrade but all those kites are like 2k - just go find another .7k and get the REAL THING BABY - You'll be glad you did.

Final answer 14.5m Flite A - then maybe 11m RISE A or H/L Crave then any 9m you like

Hope this helps...also get a carbon harness life is TOO SHORT to KITE on CRAP gear

IMG_4172.jpeg
Mc

:dance:
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post (total 2):
michaelb1 (Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 pm) • Steve271 (Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:47 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:08 am

If you go 14.5 and 11 with OR Aluula - what "more" are you getting than going 14 and 11 with a "normal" kite?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:08 am

OR kites became very expensive with introduction of Aluula
Do you guys buy them on some 60% off sale or do you pay $2400?

Return to “Kitesurfing”