Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Forum for kitesurfers
Kril
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Keho
Favorite Beaches: KEHO, st Mary, Ridge, OMD, maui, cuba, Grand Cayman, tahiti, cook is, Virgin is, gulf mex, cozumel, france, spain, honduras, St Martin,
Style: water
Gear: HK Carbon custom boards, Ocean rodeo Aluula kites.

Re: Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Postby Kril » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:37 pm

I have owned 14.5 flite aluula since spring 2021 and agree that it has amazing wind range, easily between 8 to 25 knots. Demoed from kitesource.ca and was immediately sold. DO NOT DEMO unless you have money to buy. I go from the 14.5 flite down the the 9.5 prodigy nicely and will be replacing the 9.5 with a 10, RISE, aluula of coarse. This 10m rise aluula was also kitesource.ca demoed at Keho in 2021 and reviews from fellow kiters confirm : massive range ( 15 to 35+knots) , massive lift and hang, massive control and stability, made to loop, very comfortable high performance... it is as perfect as you can get right now until everyone catches up. As for the ROAM I have ridden the ROAM in aluula and non aluula and they are very different kites. The non aluula is surfboard, foil oriented kite that pulls down wind, a bit boring, and poor jumping as where the Roam aluula version is way more performance and versatile and works great on TT as well and good lift and hang. ---target quiver: Ocean Rodeo aluula in 14.5 flite, 10m rise, 7 or 8m rise or roam.. and a non aluula 5m storm.
These users thanked the author Kril for the post:
McLovin (Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:35 am

Kril wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:37 pm
I have owned 14.5 flite aluula since spring 2021 and agree that it has amazing wind range, easily between 8 to 25 knots. Demoed from kitesource.ca and was immediately sold. DO NOT DEMO unless you have money to buy. I go from the 14.5 flite down the the 9.5 prodigy nicely and will be replacing the 9.5 with a 10, RISE, aluula of coarse. This 10m rise aluula was also kitesource.ca demoed at Keho in 2021 and reviews from fellow kiters confirm : massive range ( 15 to 35+knots) , massive lift and hang, massive control and stability, made to loop, very comfortable high performance... it is as perfect as you can get right now until everyone catches up. As for the ROAM I have ridden the ROAM in aluula and non aluula and they are very different kites. The non aluula is surfboard, foil oriented kite that pulls down wind, a bit boring, and poor jumping as where the Roam aluula version is way more performance and versatile and works great on TT as well and good lift and hang. ---target quiver: Ocean Rodeo aluula in 14.5 flite, 10m rise, 7 or 8m rise or roam.. and a non aluula 5m storm.
I'd heard that the Rise was a fairly technical kite to fly and get the best from it. Did you notice that when you demoed?

Also - if your 10m kite can handle 35knots, what wind speeds are you getting the 5m kite for? :o

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:09 am

I'll just leave my crappy low quality fun weekend vid here... who the hell loops a 12m these days ? Because you can :thumb:
Next time we get good weather i'll hit some waves for the easy big air..
not enough wind for the dump truck :wink:

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:21 pm

I am thinking of buying an Ocean Rodeo Allula quiver to replace my 2016 North 9m,12m,15m North quiver.
Do you have any advice on what size aluula kites can replace my old quiver. Can 2 allulla kites replace three 2016 standard construction kites?

For reference I am 190lb/86kg. I ride 75% waves on surfboard. 25% freeride on twin tips. I usually ride in 14-24kts but I would like to have the option to go 10kts to 30kts. I currently ride my 9m and 12m 90% of the time but the 15m comes in handy, especially when traveling and the wind is light there.

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:43 pm

Eduardo wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:51 pm
I have 2 Aluulas 12/9 and also a non-Aluula 7. I love them for foiling and they are the best wave kites I have ever used.
I am thinking about getting the 9m and 12m Roam Aluulas for wave riding. What do you think is the max wind range on that 12m for a 190lb/86kg rider? I'd like to have something to ride in 10-15kts.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:31 pm

GingisHan70 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:42 am
Hello guys,

I'm a 225 LB (105 Kg), been riding for some years, mostly FreeRide and Old-School (Hooked) Jumps (I'm guilty I like to jumping but who wouldn't :D ), and sometimes ocassional wave riding when in open ocean.

I just sold my quiver and since is this hype with ALUULA for my next 2022 quiver I intend to switch to either Ocean Rodeo or Duotone kites to see how this works on long run (not just Demo).

Because to the Price burden and my Hobby & Sport budget not having a large limit, I will probably switch from a 3-kite quiver to a 2-kite quiver, so I intend to spread the distance on the Wind Windows,
that way I will try to make sure the overlap of the windows will be at minimum and the Wind Window will be as large as possible.
- spreading UP the window of the smaller kite
- spreading DOWN the window of the larger kite

if we're talking about ALUULA of the past 2 years abviously we're talking Ocean Rodeo kites and on those I was thinking about Aluula ROAM 10m & Aluula FLITE 17m,... maybe Aluula Rise ?!
but I would prefer some opinions from those of you who already HAVE some hands-on experience and I'm talking about experience with the past 2 years Aluula products from Ocean Rodeo.
(I definitely DO like Duotone but I'm not asking about the Aluula Duotone because it's new and I don't know how many riders had the chance to experience that yet)

What would YOU guys consider to be the best match for 2-kite quiver?

a) Which 2 models would be best matched for FreeRide mentioned above given my weight ( 225Lb / 105Kg ) ?!
(i'm thinking between ROAM, CRAVE, RISE, FLITE )

b) Which 2 sizes would be best match to cover the window spread the most given my weight ( 225Lb / 105Kg ) ?!

Thanks and look forward to some good, sound advice on this matter. :jump:

Hey there,

I think the main question to ask first is what sort of winds are in your area? Also which board/s are you using?

I'm 225 like you and I can use my 12m from 18knots to 25 knots - I have a Naish Pivot, however at that wind speed I wouldn't spend any extra money in lighter material as the kite will stay in the air! If you like jumping get a Rebel or Rise. If you only want two kites, I would get an 11m, so you can get out on days gusting 30 knots from about 20knots.

For the lighter air kites I can ride from 12 knots to 20 knots in my Ozone Zephyr (17m) - the wind range on this kite is unreal - From your choices I would go for a Flight 14.4 or 17m; however I don't think you will be able to ride either of this kites under 12knots on a twintip, so paying the extra money for the Alula to me makes no sense. The Alula Flight 14.5 and 17m will fly in 6 knots of wind, but you will go no where in that wind speed.

I'm asking you about the board because that would make a massive difference - I have a Mako 165 and I can ride my 17m from 12 knots until 20knots - switching to my 144 or 141 when the wind increases does the trick. And I can also do the same the other way around, riding the 12 meter lit on my 141 board I can switch to my Mako when the wind decreases and stay on the same kite.

My recommendation to you if you have two boards (one big one and shorter one):

- 11 meter RISE or REBEL (I would personally go with the rebel - however have in mind that rebels needs a high-v bar)
- 14.5m or 17m Flight (these would have a low-v bar, so if we don't want to buy two bars, you should get the 11 RISE and use the same bar - you need a bar that can be expanded, turning a 17m with a small bar is very challenging)

Regarding bars.... if you are not into matching brands... you can get a Airrush bar which is expandable and also can be configured as a high-v by using a small ring.

Also don't forget to use line extensions - massive difference in light wind riding - I use 27m lines in my 17 meter and 23m lines in all other kites. It makes a massive difference.

For the reasons you have mentioned, having less kites, etc, I'm learning to foil now :-) Goal is to go out in my 12m and if the wind tanks switch to foil.

Cheers,
G.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:37 pm

michaelb1 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:43 pm
... What do you think is the max wind range on that 12m for a 190lb/86kg rider? I'd like to have something to ride in 10-15kts.
Difficult question to answer with any certainty because it'll also depend on other factors like :
- board shape ( width & tail rocker )
- rider proficiency ( ability to use apparent wind to maximize kite's power )
- wind's consistency ( lulls, shifts, gusts )

Sounds like you do very little riding in lighter wind & mostly go out in medium and higher wind, so 9 & 12m A-Roams would be best, particularly if you will likely move to hydrofoiling for the really light days in the future.

But why listen to guys on the forum? If you ride in the Outer Banks, why not hook up with Real Watersports and demo some Aluula kites first. You'll know far better than any of us what you enjoy riding.

michaelb1
Rare Poster

Postby michaelb1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:03 pm

GregK wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:37 pm
But why listen to guys on the forum? If you ride in the Outer Banks, why not hook up with Real Watersports and demo some Aluula kites first. You'll know far better than any of us what you enjoy riding.
Just my personal preference to crowdsource on the forums over going to a business to ask for a demo. Thanks anyway.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:02 am

michaelb1 wrote:
Eduardo wrote:
I have 2 Aluulas 12/9 and also a non-Aluula 7. I love them for foiling and they are the best wave kites I have ever used.
I am thinking about getting the 9m and 12m Roam Aluulas for wave riding. What do you think is the max wind range on that 12m for a 190lb/86kg rider? I'd like to have something to ride in 10-15kts.
I weigh close to you and there is no way I could make the 12 Roam work on a SB in 10 knots. I'd be foiling. The Roam 12 low end is probably 1 knot less than a typical 12 for waves on a SB. On a foil, the low end is much improved (a few knots) compared to others as the kite is so light it wants to fly and there is almost no risk of it dropping in a lull or in a rider error.

But I agree with GregK, why listen to guys on the forum - go demo :D I demo'd these before I bought. They'll for sure be your favorite kites - it's just a question of if you're ok with the extra price for the performance benefit.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:24 am

michaelb1 wrote:
Eduardo wrote:
I have a 12 and 14, weigh in at 195 pounds and the 10-15 knot range is clearly 14m for me with a med large twintip (153x43). My fun thresholds is actually 12 knots, with the sweet spot being 12-16kn. The low wind range for the 12m is more 15 knots and sweet spot 15-19. 10m is 18-22. Sweet spots are short because I share a full quiver with my wife and have 10/12/14m Roams, then down by 1 m increments on Enduros.

Return to “Kitesurfing”