Favorite Beaches: Skyway North, DeSoto
Style: FreeRyde TT, HookJump, WaveRide, Hydrofo
Gear: 10m, 13.5m, 15m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Postby GingisHan70 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:42 am

Hello guys,

I'm a 225 LB (105 Kg), been riding for some years, mostly FreeRide and Old-School (Hooked) Jumps (I'm guilty I like to jumping but who wouldn't :D ), and sometimes ocassional wave riding when in open ocean.

I just sold my quiver and since is this hype with ALUULA for my next 2022 quiver I intend to switch to either Ocean Rodeo or Duotone kites to see how this works on long run (not just Demo).

Because to the Price burden and my Hobby & Sport budget not having a large limit, I will probably switch from a 3-kite quiver to a 2-kite quiver, so I intend to spread the distance on the Wind Windows,
that way I will try to make sure the overlap of the windows will be at minimum and the Wind Window will be as large as possible.
- spreading UP the window of the smaller kite
- spreading DOWN the window of the larger kite

if we're talking about ALUULA of the past 2 years abviously we're talking Ocean Rodeo kites and on those I was thinking about Aluula ROAM 10m & Aluula FLITE 17m,... maybe Aluula Rise ?!
but I would prefer some opinions from those of you who already HAVE some hands-on experience and I'm talking about experience with the past 2 years Aluula products from Ocean Rodeo.
(I definitely DO like Duotone but I'm not asking about the Aluula Duotone because it's new and I don't know how many riders had the chance to experience that yet)

What would YOU guys consider to be the best match for 2-kite quiver?

a) Which 2 models would be best matched for FreeRide mentioned above given my weight ( 225Lb / 105Kg ) ?!
(i'm thinking between ROAM, CRAVE, RISE, FLITE )

b) Which 2 sizes would be best match to cover the window spread the most given my weight ( 225Lb / 105Kg ) ?!

Thanks and look forward to some good, sound advice on this matter. :jump:
Last edited by GingisHan70 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Re: Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Postby alkiter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:30 pm

Here's my experience at 160 lbs:
1 kite quiver: 10 M Roam
8 kts: foil
12 kts: big twintip
20 kts: small twintip
30+ kts: drink beer on the beach and enjoy the shit show.
These users thanked the author alkiter for the post:
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:19 pm

I do basically same thing with a 9m Airush Ultra, Foil -> surfboard/skim -> twintip.

Learning to foil is the key to opening up lightwind and low wind sessions.

No Aluula kites but I have an Aluula hand-wing and it's absolutely amazing.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:51 pm

I have 2 Aluulas 12/9 and also a non-Aluula 7. I love them for foiling and they are the best wave kites I have ever used.

However, outside of foiling and wanting extreme drift for waves, I just don't see why you would spend the extra money. The Roam is not even a good big air kite. If I were you, I would get three non-Aluula big air oriented kites in your preferred sizes.

But if you insist, my advice is to start with your most used favorite day kite size and have that nailed. for me, it's a 9. I use that about 80% of the time. Then yes, go up to the big kite that you like for light wind days.
These users thanked the author Eduardo for the post:
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:41 pm)

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:11 pm

Assuming a hydrofoil is out of the question:

I agree with the roam not being great for a twintip.
It’s good for its purpose: drifting downwind for foiling and wave riding.
Probably better to consider the aluula Rise if your primary goal is jumping on a twintip.
There is also the hybrid aluula Crave kite for an in-between option…

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:50 pm

GingisHan70 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:42 am
Hello guys,

I'm a 225 LB (105 Kg) rider, been riding for some years, mostly FreeRide and Old-School (Hooked) Jumps, ocassional wave riding.

I just sold my quiver and intend to switch to the ALUULA kites for my next quiver to see how this works on long run (not just Demo).

Due to the Price burden, I will switch from a 3-kite quiver to a 2-kite quiver so because of that I will spread the distance on the Wind Windows,
that way I will try to make sure the overlap of the windows will be at minimum,
- spreading UP the window of the smaller kite
- spreading DOWN the window of the larger kite

I was thinking about Aluula ROAM 10m & Aluula FLITE 17m,... but I would prefer some opinions from those of you who already HAVE some hands-on experience
and I'm talking about experience with the past 2 years Aluula products from Ocean Rodeo.

What would you guys consider to be the best match for 2-kite quiver?

1) Which 2 models would be best matched for FreeRide mentioned above given my weight (225Lb/ 105Kg) ?!

2) Which 2 sizes would be best match to cover the window spread the most given my weight (225Lb/ 105Kg) ?!

Thanks and look forward to some good, sound advice on this matter. :bye:
I own a Roam 10 m six months ago, I like it for foiling in 9 to 15 knots (did not have more wind yet in my spot, but think it can go well till 20 knots), but for twintip is not my favorite, not good for jumping. I am 72 kg and kite foil in big wing. I think Roam 10m would be very small for your weight.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:03 pm

My two cents are that if you are not hydrofoiling, a 12m/17m spread might be better. If you have a whole quiver of boards from TT, surfboard, and hydrofoil, then then 10m/17m combo works better. A lot of that also depends on the water conditions (chop vs. flat, waves, etc.)

-Stafford
These users thanked the author droffats for the post:
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:43 pm)

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:10 am

I am at 200 pounds and have owned flite 14, Roam 14, roam 12 and roam 10 (all aluula) I TT freeride at home spot in Canada but travel for TT wave riding.

Unless you realy often have 9-14 knots of wind I would not go with the 17 and would stick to 14 as biggest kite. The flite pulls harder the roam is much sweeter. I prefer the 14 roam for free riding although it is not the best jumper. It is my biggest kite, I had the flite and changed for the roam after trying it. For me range is 12/13knots to 20. Mind you i hear the flite will get new rounded tips this year. Between the 2 I felt the roam had more range, mainly in high end and was a better allrounder.

For the small kite its a hard call, clearly for wave riding the roam will shine, jumping flite will be better. For me the 10m roam starts working near 17 knots and can handle usual 9m conditions. Going to 12 will be too close and down to 9 would leave a gap.

In short 10 & 14 it is. Roam if you prefer better kite handling or flite if power is the main factor.

You can pm me if you wish to discuss further.
These users thanked the author Pana for the post (total 2):
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:34 pm) • michaelb1 (Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:39 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 am

Fortunately for you, you don’t have to buy the first generation of Aluula kites. Sure Aluula is a great material, but the design of the kite is just as important as the fabric. I am not saying that the Roam or Flite are bad kites, but neither was designed for some aspects of the sport. So for example, if you want a kite designed to handle high wind and boosting, those kites are not optimal.
I would take a close look at the Crave if you like to boost, it is the first Aluula kite that I saw a rider consistently boost high on. The new Rise also shows promise.
The best thing that Ocean Rodeo offers is a 60 day money back guarantee, so if you don’t love the kite, send it back.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:24 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:33 pm

I cannot comment on the kites from first hand experience. So all I know about them is from what I have read on boards like this, YouTube etc. I have spent quite a lot of time trying to educate myself on the kites though - as I was seriously considering doing the same as you - replace my 4 quiver current setup with a 2 kites setup with Aluula. In the end I ordered 2xEdge v11 9 and 13m. I'm more or less the same weight as you. Somewhere around 100kg typically.

My 1 cent. 17m Aluula seems to be a rather niche kite. Personally I have found that I don't really have any fun until at least 15 knots. Basically when I can start riding a 13m Rebel - and jump. Maybe it would have been fun riding in 13 knots with Aluula? I don't know, but regardless of how good the kite is - jumping can't really be all that great in such low winds. I believe there are at least one, if not a couple on here, who has got the 17m - and has written about it on her. Possible to find by searching.

I agree with fernmanus - if you want to jump it is most likely Rise or maybe Crave you should be looking at.

Before they released the Rise I was thinking something around 9 and 13. Unfortunately the Rise only goes up to 12. My thinking was that the Rise 13m should be at least as good as the Rebel in low wind (should be better). And even in places like Brazil and South Africa I have never been so overpowered on a 9 that I couldn't ride (on a TT).
Last edited by Havre on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
GingisHan70 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:45 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”