Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Forum for kitesurfers
JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula Kites - for those of you who already have some hands-on experience

Postby JTKiter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:31 pm

The OP asked for input from riders with hands-on experience.....

I've had a 14.5 Flite in Aluula construction for over a year. Snow, ice, water, land. Gliding, foiling, skis, skates, twintip, surfboard, mtn board. I never thought I'd get another big inflatable--much less enjoy one--but this kite is exceptional. Until you've flown one of these a few times, it's hard to understand what the lighter weight allows you to do. (I have no affiliation with OR, no particular brand loyalty.)

For me it's simple: the wider range of performance justifies the extra expense. I don't need a 12m any more. When the wind is too strong for the 14.5 Flite, I grab a 10m Edge.

JTKiter
Medium Poster

Postby JTKiter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm

The OP asked for input from riders with hands-on experience.....

I've had a 14.5 Flite in Aluula construction for over a year. Snow, ice, water, land. Gliding, foiling, skis, skates, twintip, surfboard, mtn board. I never thought I'd get another big inflatable--much less enjoy one--but this kite is exceptional. Until you've flown one of these a few times, it's hard to understand what the lighter weight allows you to do. (I have no affiliation with OR, no particular brand loyalty.)

For me it's simple: the wider range of performance justifies the extra expense. I don't need a 12m any more. When the wind is too strong for the 14.5 Flite, I grab a 10m Edge.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:48 pm

I would argue you hardly need 14.5 - 12 - 10 in the first place. So I don't see how having an Aluula-kite changes anything?

And this isn't me bashing Aluula. Really cool with new development, but to me it doesn't sound like Aluula has done that much for the wind range - if anything at all.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:57 pm

I don't own an Aluula kite but I have flown several sizes of Flites and Roams. The flite is a great freeride kite it jumps very well and it will stay in the air in very little wind the reduced weight means less inertia so the kite turn quicker and are really smooth in gusty wind. For you weight the Flite 17m would be a great kite to own. The Roam is a great foiling kite and a great wave kite when very powered but it's not a very powerful kite and it doesn't jump particularly well. If you are not going to foil then I would go with Flites. Personally I would go for 3 kites the 17M Flite and then a 12M and 9M for your weight if you can't afford 3 Aluula go with the 17M in Aluula and regular kites for 12M and 9M or keep what you have in those sizes. You will need a lot of wind to be powered on the 10M Roam it's a pretty big gap with the 17M you would probably have to switch around 15 to 20 knots depending on board size. It would be doable too but not ideal I always like having the perfect size but that's me.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 pm

I have flown Aluula's since the first demo's three summers ago at AWSI, have made a couple of demo videos, and have flown every size from 8m on up in both models. I do find that the light weight helps at the low wind speeds and the stiffness helps at the high wind speeds so the range is better than a dacron kite.

Since I have been kiting I have noticed that one of my impressions disagrees with almost everyone, and that is that a 17m kite always got me going on a tt in lighter wind than the 14m or 15m. Other people would say, "unless you are 200+ pounds.....". But that was never the case for me.

Therefore, I still say 17m and 12m Aluula Flites. Maybe a 10m in stead of the 12m. Maybe.

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby whiteout » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:04 pm

If your over 100kg a 17m and and 11m will get you a nice range. Three kites will get you more depending upon location.

Joostio
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Comox Valley, the Spit
Style: Strapless
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: CKR Comox Kite Repair

Postby Joostio » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm

GingisHan 70.

Check your pm's

JTKiter
Medium Poster

Postby JTKiter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:41 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:48 pm
I would argue you hardly need 14.5 - 12 - 10 in the first place. So I don't see how having an Aluula-kite changes anything?

And this isn't me bashing Aluula. Really cool with new development, but to me it doesn't sound like Aluula has done that much for the wind range - if anything at all.
To me it doesn't sound like you've had many sessions on an Aluula kite in the larger sizes. In a very friendly way, can I ask if that's true or false?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 pm

JTKiter wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:41 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:48 pm

To me it doesn't sound like you've had many sessions on an Aluula kite in the larger sizes. In a very friendly way, can I ask if that's true or false?
So why don’t you enlighten us?

14.5 and 10 is a fairly acceptable split with normal kites (fairly similar to my 17 and 12). So how does that help the OP reduce the number of kites in his quiver?

JTKiter
Medium Poster

Postby JTKiter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 pm

Havre: You're quite right that most folks are fine with a 14m to 10m gap or 17m to 12m. I like a 2m gap myself so the 14.5 Aluula has eliminated the need for one kite for me.

I'm curious whether you have some sessions on a bigger Aluula kite or not. I truly hope I don't seem rude in asking but it seems pertinent given the OP's original request.

Return to “Kitesurfing”