Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fuerteventura this week, locals input needed!

Forum for kitesurfers
eadt93
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Spain
Gear: F-one Bandit 2019 12m2
F-one Bandit 2017 9m2
F-one Linx Bar 2019
F-one Monolith 2017
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Fuerteventura this week, locals input needed!

Postby eadt93 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:37 am

Hello everyone!!

I have a 5-day kite trip planned for Fuerteventura, from tomorrow, Jan 5th to Jan 9th.

I consider myself beginner to intermediate: have been kiting for about 2 years, and have been to Greece, Tarifa 3 times, and multiple spots in Leucate and near Barcelona. Current setup is a 12 sqm and 9 sqm.

I just checked the WG forecast for a couple of spots on the island (Costa Calma, Flag Beach) and it looks like it's going to be windy - maybe a bit too windy :oops: . From what I have seen the Lagoon at Sotavento will not be working these dates.

I wanted to ask for some help for those who really know the island: what is the best place for me to kite safely given the conditions. I would rather err on the side of caution and go to easier spots, so preferably those with lower wind, flatter waves (don't find myself comfortable riding 1.5-2 m waves).

Thank you so much!!

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Re: Fuerteventura this week, locals input needed!

Postby duddd » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:53 am

If you are not comfortable with waves you should avoid Flag Beach , as it's quite crowded this period and it gets very wavy depending on the tide. Also there are quite a lot of rocks depending on the tide and it's not the most friendly spot with beginners, but if you know how to to deal with the spot, it's very fun. Try going to at high tide to avoid most of the rocks which will get covered with water and stay out, because at the shore it can get very crowded

El Cotillo is also in the North and has very nice waves (and friendlier, usually a nice set), with only 2 rocks which you can clearly see them without problems and are easy to avoid. You should check windy or windfinder and see the direction. For the next coming days unfortunately is not the proper direction for this spot

My recommendation is going to the South at Risco del Passo (usually you add +5-7 knots than what windguru says) and get rescue from the school there. It's offshore wind and can get gusty some times, but with rescue you don't have to worry about. Last year was 50 or 70 euros for 3 rescues if i'm not mistaken. In case it gets very windy, you can rent a kite from there.
Another option in the South would be Matas Bay where is the flattest spot i have ever seen, still off-shore, but they have rescue. The downside is that the beach there is not wind sand, but with pebbles and going in and out can be tricky. Also it gets more gusty than Risco or Rene Egli spot in sotavento

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:17 am

Hi,

The Forecast for that time is strong North East Wind.

Flag will have Cross Onshore from the left. As we are on Neap Tides the water level differnce will not be massive. The Swell forecast is a bit strange, but expect quite choppy and wavy conditions on all spots on the Island

El Cotillo (Piedra Playa) will have Sideshore from the right. Waves will be very big and there will be a massive closeout shorebreak.

Basically at your level the North of the Island will be difficult to deal with this weekend.

In the south the wind will be cross-offshore and no real waves. It will be a bit choppy out on the Ocean, but easily managable. Wind will probably be gusting into the 35 40 knot range on the weekend. In the mornings it will be lighter.

A good option will be kiting at Matas Blancas instead of at the Rene Egli or Ion Club Spots. It will be completely offshore, but the wind is cleaner and the water is butter flat and they really take care of you at the center there. It is really safe and you will not get lost.

--
Gunnar

eadt93
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Spain
Gear: F-one Bandit 2019 12m2
F-one Bandit 2017 9m2
F-one Linx Bar 2019
F-one Monolith 2017
Been thanked: 0

Postby eadt93 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:06 am

Thank you for your messages!!!

I do not feel myself super comfy in waves: already teared up one kite, so from your comments I think the North is pretty much a no-go for me.

How accurate is the WG forecast for the southern spots (Matas Blancas)? I have never kited with gusts over 25 kts, so probably makes sense to rent a smaller kite? (7 m) or you think I can manage with the 9m?

I just called Matas Blancas, the lady that attended me was super nice. She confirmed they have rescue there from 10:00 to 18:00 at a cost of 50€ for 3 rescues.

Thank you!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:32 pm

For North East Winds you can add another 20-30% extra wind in the gusts.
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
eadt93 (Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:44 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:17 am

El Cotillo (Piedra Playa) will have Sideshore from the right. Waves will be very big and there will be a massive closeout shorebreak.
Lol…. Reminds me of way back…. 1987?! Got mullered… took me x10 attempts to get through the shoredump, & Danny Seales made it look easy (RIP).

Great advice as always from G

Return to “Kitesurfing”